Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - molecatcher - 11-10-2010 11:53 AM

If I can put my twopennyworth in, I've always looked on what's going on between H/R this series as a positive and realistic shift in their relationship. Harry's proposal was all wrong and I was relieved when Ruth turned him down. It would have come out of nothing as there'd been little or no movement in the last series so why on earth would she marry him? Since using Harry's choices as a reason to say no she's been the one that's tried to take control when he's faltered and been philosophical and rather cold about resulting deaths so I reckon she's learning first hand that awful decisions have to be made and is coming to terms with what happened to George and Harry's part in that. She's ready to forgive him and move on. after all she comforted him in the last episode when he acknowledged his error with "sometimes you have to do what's necessary Harry" so needs to help him get his head straight again.

I voted #2 as, whatever the outcome of Ruth's journey, their relationship will be back on track and move to the next level, I'm convinced, That is until some dastardly deed is aimed in their direction!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 11-10-2010 12:42 PM

(10-10-2010 05:15 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Cake anyone?

TL, there is something about your avatar that makes it look like PF is asking: Cake anyone?

Well, heck! If HE'S asking - ab-so-liggely-lutely! I'd share my cheesecake with him any day! Wink Yahoo

(11-10-2010 11:53 AM)molecatcher Wrote:  I voted #2 as, whatever the outcome of Ruth's journey, their relationship will be back on track and move to the next level, I'm convinced, That is until some dastardly deed is aimed in their direction!

I couldn't agree more, molecatcher. Which is a whole different angle for next series, don't you think? So now they are truly mutually "together" (in whatever way that means for them) and now lets see how that changes the dynamic.

Series 9.4 Spoiler: show
I am very much looking forward to tonight's episode! If they don't at least touch on the effect having Ruth in the field will have on Harry (and vice versa), no matter how subtle, they will have dropped the ball, IMHO. There are a couple different scenarios I can think of right off the bat. Hopefully Jonathan Brackley & Sam Vincent have thought of some too!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 11-10-2010 01:53 PM

(11-10-2010 12:42 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  TL, there is something about your avatar that makes it look like PF is asking: Cake anyone?

LOL! I love my new avatar, if I do say so myself. I love that silk brown tie Harry is wearing *sighs*

Anyway,
Series 9.4 Spoiler: show
I'm not convinced we will get too much H/R this episode but I will be interested to see Harry's reaction. As you say, he MUST react if Ruth is in danger. It will also be interesting to see if Ruth's new found strength, carries her through a difficult op.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - SPOOK91 - 11-10-2010 10:08 PM

Well there wasn't as much HR as there was in episode 3 or episode 1 but the bits which were included were great, definately feeling a bit of a shift. Harry's expressions when she was in the feild, just pure adoration.

Also Ruth's reaction to Jiang's question about her having children. The complete hearbreak in her eyes; so brilliantly conveyed by NW. She seemed visibly shaken when she went into Harry's office and he seemed to notice this. Especially loved Harry's little comment about putting a cowbell on her!

So what did people think?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 11-10-2010 10:55 PM

Well I certainly didn't think Ruth had softened any, since Harry's words on the Embankment last week. The way he said to her, "Sorry about your lip," was just lovely. His voice was so soft. Her response was cold though, "Don't be." It was almost like she was saying, stop fussing, I can take care of myself. She could have given him a little smile and said thank you Harry. Would that have killed her? He is still trying to be kind to her and getting a stone wall.

The talk between Ruth and the Chinese lady (cant remember her name) was a little sad. Did anyone else think her words had a special Spooks double meaning? "If you are valuable enough to someone, you can never be free." As for the children comment. Clearly Ruth was thinking of Nico. Is the children thing, something that is holding her back from being with Harry or was that just thrown in to let us know that Ruth is still suffering about George and Nico?

As for the cowbell comment!! Poor Harry, he is trying to get back to how things were between them but he was stone walled again by Ruth. Not a flicker of amusement at him calling her a cow. First a mule, now a cow. What next??

I didn't think we got too much of a reaction out of Harry when Ruth was in trouble. Some pursing of the lips perhaps. He was pretty quick to order her out though, after the bomb alert was received.

Overall, not much in the way of H/R progression. Harry getting back to his normal self. Ruth still has her shields up. Surely they must come down once this series...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Spareheart - 11-10-2010 10:56 PM

(11-10-2010 10:08 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  Especially loved Harry's little comment about putting a cowbell on her!

reminded me of the 'stubborn old mule' crack in 5.5. anyone else?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Nitrus - 11-10-2010 11:09 PM

I thought it was odd that they showed externals of Freemasons Hall and then when Harry went to meet the Chinese Section Chief outside Thames House, the shot went to them being outside of the *real* thames house.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - yorkshiretyke - 12-10-2010 06:38 AM

I felt like it was the calm after the storm....as if they were trying to back to being friends!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 12-10-2010 07:09 AM

I thought the Harry and Ruth parts were lovely in this episode. I was feeling so wound up since 9.3 that I was glad they reduced the tension a bit! The focus on Harry's face during the time Ruth was in that building, shows that the writers and directors haven't forgotten about H/R yet. I thought the expressions on Harry's face were brilliant (clever PF again).

Like Tea Lady, I immediately thought of Nico during the question about children. And for another point of view: maybe she hesitated because she realised she has just passed up her last opportunity to have children of her own by saying no to Harry.

I didn't catch the cold tone after Harry mentioned her lip, I thought she replied just as tenderly. There was definitely no frostiness between them this week, which has got to be a move in the right direction.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 12-10-2010 11:24 AM

(11-10-2010 10:56 PM)Spareheart Wrote:  
(11-10-2010 10:08 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  Especially loved Harry's little comment about putting a cowbell on her!

reminded me of the 'stubborn old mule' crack in 5.5. anyone else?

Yeah me too!! It was funny!! haha It seemed Ruth wasn't very happy with that comment. Come on Ruthie, smile a bit!

The broken lip scene was soooooooooooo sweet, Harry's face was so cute Heart I don't know how Ruth can stay impassive...

I also loved his faces while Ruth's was in danger. I think that if we want a catalyst for this relationship it has to be Harry the one in danger, not Ruth. Harry already knows he loves Ruth but Ruth has to open her eyes and realise what her feelings are for Harry.