Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 13-10-2010 04:03 PM

(12-10-2010 07:09 AM)Naivety Wrote:  I thought the Harry and Ruth parts were lovely in this episode. I was feeling so wound up since 9.3 that I was glad they reduced the tension a bit! The focus on Harry's face during the time Ruth was in that building, shows that the writers and directors haven't forgotten about H/R yet. I thought the expressions on Harry's face were brilliant (clever PF again).

Like Tea Lady, I immediately thought of Nico during the question about children. And for another point of view: maybe she hesitated because she realised she has just passed up her last opportunity to have children of her own by saying no to Harry.

I didn't catch the cold tone after Harry mentioned her lip, I thought she replied just as tenderly. There was definitely no frostiness between them this week, which has got to be a move in the right direction.

I really liked the balance of HR scenes this week, esp. when she was in the field. I think they really hit the mark - there, but very subtle. While she was in the field, he was with her the whole time alternately amused, impressed, concerned and supportive. The literal voice in her head. I really liked how the Director kept cutting back to Harry. And when she has the gun pointing in her face, I think she makes it known so Harry will know that she is losing it a bit. He then feeds her the lines to handle the situation. Very well done, IMO.

I think that there has been a shift from her keeping him going during his existential crisis, to him supporting her working through her guilt. I loved how he leaned down into her face and forced her to look at him to apologize for her boo-boo lip. He is saying to her that he is not going anywhere. I did not interpret her response as cold. She is telling him (again) that she doesn't blame him for it.

And the cowbell comment? Well, once again, his timing sucks. Wink But he couldn't have known that she had just faced off with quite possibly her most powerful demon. I thought there was a bit of a double meaning when he says to her that everyone is being played by someone else. No one lives in a vacuum. I like that decency won out for both of them at least as it pertained to Kai.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 13-10-2010 06:05 PM

I'm with A Cousin on this one, I felt the HR we got this episode was a step forward. Harry is finally past his petty sniping at Ruth, and is back to adorably awkward bumbling and gentleness with her. He, at least, seems to have made his peace with the marriage refusal and is now trying to move forward. But he's definitely not given up on her, as evidenced by his "Sorry about your lip". I also didn't read Ruth's reaction as cold, but rather as her telling him she didn't blame him for it. Also, they were in the middle of the Grid, so she could hardly be overly appreciative of his concern.

ETA: Right I'm off on holiday for a couple weeks - I better not be all by my lonesome in the Optimist's Corner when I get back!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - JHyde - 15-10-2010 01:44 PM

Ew. I hated the lip line and actually thought Peter kind of hated it too. It was a little creepy.

Loved the cowbell line though. That was Harry being Harry and then he turned around and met her half way. That felt like Spooks of old.

I made a point on the episode thread about the use of the codename 'gazelle'. It is used in a verse from Song of Songs: 'Love comes leaping like a gazelle'. A really lovely coincidence, I think. I sincerely doubt it was deliberate but Ruth really did come a leaping into Section D and this episode was a shining example of that.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 15-10-2010 02:03 PM

(15-10-2010 01:44 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Ew. I hated the lip line and actually thought Peter kind of hated it too. It was a little creepy.

Awwwww...that line was lovely JHyde. I think it was supposed to be a little silly as Harry clearly struggled to find something lighthearted to say, but felt he had to say something as her life had been in danger.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 15-10-2010 05:19 PM

(15-10-2010 02:03 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(15-10-2010 01:44 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Ew. I hated the lip line and actually thought Peter kind of hated it too. It was a little creepy.

Awwwww...that line was lovely JHyde. I think it was supposed to be a little silly as Harry clearly struggled to find something lighthearted to say, but felt he had to say something as her life had been in danger.

Is it me, or is Harry struggling to keep a straight face after he says it?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - lwhite53 - 15-10-2010 06:27 PM

(15-10-2010 02:03 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm with TL here. It's a kind of dotty thing to say but he wanted to say something to let her know he had been worried but, at the same time, didn't want to get too personal.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 18-10-2010 10:23 PM

Series 9.6 trailer Spoiler: show
Well well. What's going on there then? I was a little shocked when I saw it, although I wasn't sure what I was expecting. It looked to me like they were in the meeting room and that the Grid was locked down. It was quite dark in other shots. Harry looked totally gobsmacked though! Very funny. Just wonder what on earth has caused Ruth to have a little heart to heart? It was clearly something nice she was telling him, as she appeared to grab his hand with both of hers. What on earth can they do on the Grid in a lockdown situation though...Angel

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - SPOOK91 - 18-10-2010 10:35 PM

Squee! I'm about to have another look at it now, but it does look like its more of a hand hold than a touch like in 8.7. Why else would she bring it up now the whole proposal thing. They had put it to bed and seemed to be getting more back to normal (if there is such a thing for them) so I don't see why she would bring it up again other than to perhaps go back on it. (not so much agree to marry him, more so to tell him that she does have feelings for him. The scene does look quite dark, perhaps there is a lockdown. Which is good, means they have to get it out in the open. Gosh the excitement!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 19-10-2010 07:53 AM

Also in this trailer there seems to be the beginning of the unravelling of Lucas. Ruth also says in the trailer something like 'he cannot be trusted'. The prospect of Lucas turning may bring on Harry's personal crisis, so Ruth may be talking to him about that. She may be telling him she wants to go back to see Nico (there's something in NW's interview with Ian Wylie about that being addressed this series). There could be any number of reasons. Whatever the reason, it'll be good to have some quality H and R. There hasn't been much since 9.3

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 19-10-2010 08:51 AM

(19-10-2010 07:53 AM)Naivety Wrote:  
Also in this trailer there seems to be the beginning of the unravelling of Lucas. Ruth also says in the trailer something like 'he cannot be trusted'. The prospect of Lucas turning may bring on Harry's personal crisis, so Ruth may be talking to him about that. She may be telling him she wants to go back to see Nico (there's something in NW's interview with Ian Wylie about that being addressed this series). There could be any number of reasons. Whatever the reason, it'll be good to have some quality H and R. There hasn't been much since 9.3

Good point Naivety. I agree that Ruth is not telling Harry that she has changed her mind and wants to marry him (although I will gladly be wrong here) but I think it is still good news for their relationship. Something along the lines of that she does want to be with him, but is working her way through her demons and to give her a little more time. The hand touch is defintely a romantic touch I believe, rather than a friendly one. Perhaps we will also get a little kiss.