Spooks Forum
Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation (/thread-1402.html)

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - MandyM15 - 04-04-2011 09:58 PM

on the DVD for series 9 on the bonus bits PF jests with NW that we may see a consummation in S10 and she crosses her fingers, now THAT would be a good finale!!

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - xRuthx - 05-04-2011 08:46 AM

(04-04-2011 06:24 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  It's not in the character of the show. That's the point, after all the death and sadness there is still more, that has always been the nature of the show and that shouldn't change.

I don't think the ending should be "happy" so much as hopeful. For there to be hope of happiness for Ruth and Harry even if that hope was still bittersweet due to the nature of the job, that would be enough for me.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - harrbd - 05-04-2011 08:48 AM

I think that people watch Spooks for many different reasons, characters, story lines, tension / action but we are all fans. However, I would rather remember Spooks as the brilliant show it has been then watch series 10 if it goes downhill, which I sincerely hope it doesn’t.

I don’t think that a happy ending would be a betrayal by the writers. Although the story lines are more grey than black and white, most of us usually have an ending that we are hoping for. Yes, we may end up with an Adam / Ros being killed as they save the country but that is usually what happens – the country is saved! The fact that one or two people are killed in saving hundreds is considered a good ending by the majority. To me the character of the show is about MI5 etc trying to save the country from all the terrorist threats and in the show they usually do so. These are successful and positive endings. More of the same please!

There will always be death and sadness but there is also goodness and happiness. Both have always been shown in Spooks. Why shouldn’t the show finish in an up lifting way? Of course the fight against terrorism will go on and the final scene can always be about that but there is no reason why Harry and Ruth can’t end up being together. In real life not all MI5 personal die – they leave the service and lead happy lives. It is not unreasonable or unrealistic for this to happen with Harry and Ruth. I think the majority of the fans hope for this in series 10.

Obviously we all seem different things in Spooks – but it is that which makes it such a great show.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - Naivety - 05-04-2011 07:22 PM

To me it is more predictable that the writers will kill off either Harry or Ruth after getting them together, than if they get them together and let them live happily ever after. Happy endings are not written anymore.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - conniesachs - 05-04-2011 07:34 PM

So Harry has a huge secret hidden deep in his past which could threaten to destroy him and those around him.
This sounds familiar, think I know this plot;
Harry Pearce isn't really Harry Pearce. His real name is Karla and Harry Pearce is the person he kills so he can use his identity to get into MI5. (Fortuitously, the real Harry Pearce had started his application to MI5 and as Harry and Karla looked alike Karla knew MI5 would never notice).
However, as the secret past emerges - look out for mysterious suitcases and long lost girlfriends that even Harry/Karla doesn't know about - he has a mental break-down and jumps from the roof of Thames House.
Sorted. No need to watch season 10 now.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - violetcreme - 06-04-2011 09:41 AM

From comments it feels like people are taking this as the final series, has that been officially stated or hinted? Spooks is such an established name now, and it's about the only sure fire hit the BBC have at the moment drama wise, it would be strange to end it when with a cast that regularly changes and new threats to the word every year it could conceivably go on indefinitely.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - xRuthx - 06-04-2011 09:46 AM

^Um Dr Who?

Personally, I'd rather Spooks finished sooner rather than later. I want it to go out while it is still relatively good drama.

I think most people are assuming ten is the last because of the episode cut backs and the nature of the story that we know about so far (Harry wise)

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - BoHenley - 06-04-2011 10:20 AM

(06-04-2011 09:46 AM)xRuthx Wrote:  Personally, I'd rather Spooks finished sooner rather than later. I want it to go out while it is still relatively good drama.

I agree. I'd much rather it finish with an "explosive" ending (not literally, it's been done) than fade out due to budget cuts. Surely we all deserve that, cast and production team included.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - HellsBells - 06-04-2011 01:34 PM

(05-04-2011 07:34 PM)conniesachs Wrote:  So Harry has a huge secret hidden deep in his past which could threaten to destroy him and those around him.
This sounds familiar, think I know this plot;
Harry Pearce isn't really Harry Pearce. His real name is Karla and Harry Pearce is the person he kills so he can use his identity to get into MI5. (Fortuitously, the real Harry Pearce had started his application to MI5 and as Harry and Karla looked alike Karla knew MI5 would never notice).
However, as the secret past emerges - look out for mysterious suitcases and long lost girlfriends that even Harry/Karla doesn't know about - he has a mental break-down and jumps from the roof of Thames House.
Sorted. No need to watch season 10 now.

That did make me laugh!!

I personally see no reason why series 10 should be the last, providing there is the finance behind it. But it may be the end of Harry, I think this would move the series forward, it is the only storyline they haven't done yet.

RE: Series 10 Rumours & Speculation - Naivety - 06-04-2011 06:01 PM

I would say that Spooks has got a couple of series left in it. There is no reason why it couldn't go on for a couple of years, but I do get the feeling we are being eased into the idea of this being the last. Peter Firth said in more than one interview that they had run out of storylines, which, even if it is not the writers' point of view, tends to suggest that may be he has had enough and wants to move onto something else.

I really can't see Spooks carrying on without him. It would be like Ashes to Ashes without Gene Hunt or Dr Who without the Doctor.

What would be tragic, would be Spooks fizzling out because the storylines and the characters are weak and lacklustre. Much better that it ends at its best, with its strongest characters.