Spooks Forum
Series 10 Casting Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 Casting Discussion (/thread-1405.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - xRuthx - 01-04-2011 11:52 AM

I really liked Lara Pulver in Robin Hood 3. Alot. really glad to see her on Spooks.

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - NightOwl - 01-04-2011 12:16 PM

The show's introduced three new (grid-based) characters in the past two series and the character they eliminate is the only one who was given an actual backstory and any development. Not sure I understand the logic there.

It appears Kudos is really gambling on Harry and Ruth to carry the series. That's good news for Harry and Ruth fans, but where does it leave those viewers who aren't?

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - HellsBells - 01-04-2011 01:23 PM

It is sad that Beth is not going to be in series 10, I felt she fitted in very well.

(01-04-2011 12:16 PM)NightOwl Wrote:  It appears Kudos is really gambling on Harry and Ruth to carry the series. That's good news for Harry and Ruth fans, but where does it leave those viewers who aren't?

That also crossed my mind as well. Hoping for some really good 'threats of the week', for those of us that aren't huge H/R fans.

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - A Cousin - 01-04-2011 02:58 PM

(01-04-2011 12:16 PM)NightOwl Wrote:  The show's introduced three new (grid-based) characters in the past two series and the character they eliminate is the only one who was given an actual backstory and any development. Not sure I understand the logic there.

It appears Kudos is really gambling on Harry and Ruth to carry the series. That's good news for Harry and Ruth fans, but where does it leave those viewers who aren't?

No logic involved. It could have been a decision taken out of KUDOs hands. Could be as simple as SM had other personal and/or professional opportunities she felt she needed to pursue. I will miss Beth though. I thought she had potential too. But c'est la vie! The big question is why was she decommissioned? I do hope that they explain that.

As for purported Harry-centric focus of S10, it leaves all viewers with two simple options, don't watch it or give it a chance. Even after the John/Lucas Greek tragedy of mythic proportions, I thought they did manage to pull out some very good threats of the week out of S9. Is KUDOs placing a bet that more fans are interested in what happens to Harry? Yes. Are they right? Time will tell. But that is their bet to place. And ours to choose to watch or not.

All that, stated, yea! A new techie! Poor Tariq needs someone to play off of. I think the potential interchange will help develop his character a bit more. Still hoping for a guest shot for Hugh Simon though. Glad to hear of the retention of the other cast members, SRB especially. I love Alice Krieg and am familiar with Jonathan Hyde's work as well. They are some pretty big guns for SRB and PF to play off of!

Any word re: Colin Salmon? I too thought Alec would be permanent. Just goes to show that I can never correctly predict this programme! Smile

Thank you Pepelow and Kazters for providing these nuggets of info! So exciting! Yahoo

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - BravoNine - 01-04-2011 03:18 PM

I feel like this show is now seriously testing my patience....Dodgy

But I will give Series 10 a chance to see where they go, who knows, maybe these changes will make the show better, time will tell.

As for Beth, I hope she gets a better exit than Lucas....here's me hoping she'll just die in an explosion or something, no more drawn-out storylines....

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - pepelow - 01-04-2011 03:31 PM

(01-04-2011 03:18 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  As for Beth, I hope she gets a better exit than Lucas....here's me hoping she'll just die in an explosion or something, no more drawn-out storylines....

Per Ian Wylie's blog, there won't be any onscreen exit for Beth, just something mentioned in passing in episode 1. So, no proper send off Undecided

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - Tea Lady - 01-04-2011 04:24 PM

Once again some people are quick to put the boot into Kudos. I didn't see anything in that article to suggest it is going to be about Harry and Ruth as a couple. Have I missed this? Yes they will be relying on Harry and Ruth to keep people watching but that's just obvious. They are the longest serving cast members and they don't have a huge budget to bring in loads of new people. I think we have done quite well considering the financial restraints placed on the BBC. Harry keeps a lot of fans watching. Don't forget people still watched when Ruth wasn't in it for nearly 3 series. The world doesn't stop turning if you are a spooks fan because Lucas dropped onto the pavement or because Ruth goes sailing.

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - watchstrap - 01-04-2011 08:06 PM

(01-04-2011 01:32 AM)pepelow Wrote:  From Google Alerts and Twitter comes more Series 10 casting news which you can read HERE. Vueltasss My only gripe is that whoever wrote this (reads like a genuine press release) tends to label any member of the Grid a "spy boss"!

Very sad to read about the one cast change and intrigued by the casting of Alice Krige. Wonder if she will give Ruth the kick in the pants re Harry?!

Happy to see Alice Krige joining the cast, she was excellent in a recent episode of Waking the Dead. She is only slightly younger than Peter Firth but this means nothing. Anna Chancellor was cast as Juliet, who is mentioned in Harry's Diary as being older than him. Anna is 45, Peter is 57. I rest my case. TV drama means older guy, younger girl, end of.

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - Naivety - 01-04-2011 08:19 PM

This passage suggests that there will be a strong Harry and Ruth element to series 10:

Spoiler: show
"Simon Crawford Collins, Executive Producer Kudos Film and Television, said: “The heart of the show for the last 10 years has been Harry Pearce and his increasingly thwarted relationship with the wonderful Ruth. In Harry and Ruth, Peter and Nicola have created two of the most subtle and engaging characters in TV drama today and this series will take them both on a very unexpected journey. We hope it will be unmissable television.” (Ian Wylie, April 2011)

But there is plenty of other things to whet the appetite for the rest. There will be threats du jours, with the 'cosying up to Russia' which Harry will hate but this new girl can use that to impress the HS, making Harry look like a 'dinosaur' again.

(not sure if we need spoilers but being cautious!)Confused

The other actors/actresses are intriguing. I don't think Alice Krige will be a spook though, maybe she will be Harry's barrister at a hearing? Or maybe an old flame? Maybe she'll play his ex-wife!

RE: Series 10 Casting Discussion - xRuthx - 01-04-2011 08:35 PM

(01-04-2011 04:24 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  The world doesn't stop turning if you are a spooks fan because Lucas dropped onto the pavement or because Ruth goes sailing.

It does for me Tongue The second Nicola Walker leaves Spooks I leave Spooks. I don't have enough investment in any other character left to want to keep watching if Ruth leaves.

No screentime for Beth! NO NOT ANOTHER SAM EXIT. Sigh. Oh well. I'll live. Plus I like all of the new cast members.

I think it will be hard to establish these characters quickly in six episodes but maybe ten isn't the last season? There are many fears I have about ten, based off press releases and my own personal fears but I'll watch anyway, at least to say I got to the end Smile