Spooks Forum
Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion (/thread-1863.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - itskdl1 - 21-09-2011 09:31 PM

I enjoyed the spooks season 10 episode 1 very much. What do you think of Peter Firth's statement in a recent interview "This series is a six-act Greek tragedy with a profoundly tragic ending. But there's an optimistic note to tell you that the fight isn't over." It does not sound like Ruth and Harry will come together.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - FATBOY - 21-09-2011 09:35 PM

Noticed the car that picks up Gavrik to take him to meet Towers has American diplomatic plates 271 D 601

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - loladom - 22-09-2011 04:13 AM

(21-09-2011 09:04 PM)JohnSpook Wrote:  Also the photo's Sasha is looking at: if they were accurate then it would show the inside of Thames House (a major breach in security), a private meeting between Tom and Harry and the best of the lot, Harry just seconds before he kills Kachimov, the former head of the FSB in London. Surely they could have shot some new, special surveilance shots of Harry for Sasha too look at, or is money that tight they couldn't afford to?

I took the old photos of various points in Harry's life to mean someone has been keeping up with Harry's life over several years, building up a portfolio, biding their time so to speak. Whoever is plotting his downfall, it isn't an overnight sensation of revenge they are seeking something much bigger. IMO

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - Tineke - 22-09-2011 08:49 AM

Did anyone see that Harry got his mobile phone out of his pocket and left it on the table when he was with Jim Coaver in the pub? Why was that I wonder...

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - dalia - 22-09-2011 04:44 PM

I liked the first episode very much! It was slower, lots of "old time" spying which I enjoyed. Some great one liners as well, I missed them! I liked that Harry and Ruth are able to communicate normally and friendly again and that Ruth is the person he always confides in. I find it good that he told her frankly about his relationship with Elena and about Sasha. That was a great scene and they both played it brilliantly. The atmosphere on Grid was better as in last series, too. Dimitri looks really good with longer hair and plays a more important role in the operations. I´m not sure about Callum yet, a little arrogant for my liking, but we will see... I liked Erin and was agreeably surprised with the character. The fact she has a daghter could be interesting, too. I quite disliked Tariq´s new hairstyle... I didn´t mind Elena, she looks really like an old elegant and clever spy who could be dangerous. I don´t think her husband knows about her being a british spy, don´t think she would be still alive if he knew. A great episode!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - FATBOY - 22-09-2011 06:11 PM

(22-09-2011 08:49 AM)Tineke Wrote:  Did anyone see that Harry got his mobile phone out of his pocket and left it on the table when he was with Jim Coaver in the pub? Why was that I wonder...

Does he turn it off before he puts it on the table - I think he does.

Is it a show of trust that anything said is off the record? In the world of spooks I think this would be a pretty meaningless gesture. I get the feeling Harry is scratching around for any information he can get at this point and is trying to get a lead from an old buddy.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - Callahan - 22-09-2011 07:31 PM

Excellent show but I've got to be honest and say that the directing isn't quite what it used to be. The subtle touches seem to be missing now and the closing surprise was nothing that wasn't expected mid way through the show.
Still having been incredibly critical of the directing, spooks is still one the of the best shows on the box in my humble opinion.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - A Cousin - 23-09-2011 12:36 PM

(22-09-2011 07:31 PM)Callahan Wrote:  Excellent show but I've got to be honest and say that the directing isn't quite what it used to be. The subtle touches seem to be missing now and the closing surprise was nothing that wasn't expected mid way through the show.

Hi, callahan! Welcome to the Forum.

Niceties aside, Smile I respectfully disagree. I think I am in the minority, but I will make no excuses for the fact that I like Alrick Riley's work - "shake-y" cam and all. Not that I saw much of that at all. To begin with, the reveal re: Sasha's paternity is a writers choice, not a directorial choice. I do agree that it was a bit predictable. That said, for me, the direction (and acting) of that particular scene was nothing less than brilliant. Riley pointed the camera at their faces and let them do their job. No fuss. No muss. No frills. It was a very naked bit of dialogue with very naked filming. To me, that's subtlety in directing.

I don't think the subtle filming touches are missing, I just think they are different. The more I watch it the more I think the style chosen for this particular episode was intentional. It is certainly a different mood and pace than any series we have seen thus far. The filming of this episode reminds me a lot of Film Noir: low camera angles, abrupt editing, blacks/white/gray scale, shadow and light, distortion, lots of intimate locations, etc. I esp. see it in the scene where Harry breaks into Max Witt's apartment. Even Ruth has the "Gal Friday" kind of feel to her this series.

I could be completely off base here and Kudos, Mr. Riley (or his agent) and the BBC may be laughing their asses off at me right now (Thanks for the last 10 years! Cool ), but I wonder.... I wonder.... We'll see if it continues into the next episode and beyond.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - Callahan - 23-09-2011 02:15 PM

A Cousin,
Thanks for your respectful input, I wasn't trying to be funny just simply passing comment. Having watched the past 9 seasons with the same interest that we all did I just saw the different directors style was different, the writing may well be exactly the same as the past but the overall feel was different. It's like the Bourne trilogy, different directors, and while they're all different they're all excellent. I am confident that I will watch these episodes again with the same enjoyment I get from every other season once I get used to the style.
As for the closing surprise I referred to I just found that in the past the stories seemed to written with slightly more complexity or perhaps I was younger then? I found that the stories weren't transparent and that is what I enjoyed and what is what drew me in to the series. I remember stumbling onto the first series by accident and then finding out that UKTV here in Australia were replaying the first series from the start shortly after the show I saw, within weeks I was a fan, and since then I've seen every episode. I remember wondering why when a character left they were killed off, I remember wishing that characters hadn't died and that seasons hadn't ended the way that they had.
Each season seemed to start with a certain speed and this one was no different, it just felt different. The writers may still be the same, I don't know, I haven't checked! I know that I too read the reports that the show was finishing that the end of this season and I know that I too will miss it.
Reading your review I can understand your response completely, I too agree that the break in scene was well shot, I also see Ruth developing as a character although that has been happening for some time, and I am as per every other series not too sure about the new characters but I am sure that in the weeks to come that will change and I will end up thinking of them in the same way I think of the old characters now.
Thanks for taking the time to read my comment and to write such a well thought out response.

Take care and play safe
Callahan

1*

RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - loladom - 23-09-2011 02:41 PM

I think the instant and obvious reveal of Sacha the son is setting us up for a much bigger twist. It wouldn't be Spooks without one. The Sacha is my son is setting up the story, I'm sure. I confess to being intrigued by where the writers are taking us.

I don't profess to be an expert on directing styles, all I know is that I loved the way this episode appeared on screen. It was calmer than Spooks has been of late, more artistic as A Cousin suggests a tad Film Noir. It was setting up a story rather than lots of action. They had a lot to do establishing all these new characters plus Harry's backstory. The music also added a certain atmosphere, leaning us towards Russia. And I don't see how that last scene could've been better. PF and NW were perfect. Now I've watched it again several times, you can almost see the answers in Ruth's eyes to her own questions, she guessed about Sacha, but she still asked. I loved it!