Spooks Forum
Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 10 (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion (/thread-1935.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - beatrice4ruth - 19-10-2011 07:14 PM

I cannot believe anything Elena says even about her parents. Sorry, I just can't. I know that Spooks have many plot holes, but to make us believe that during the Cold War Elena had evaded the KGB in the very small towns of East and West Berlin is very hard to swallow, at least for me who lived in the area at the time. Where were her KGB husband and his comrades when the affair was taking place? From the beginning Elena must have been
Spoiler: show
a double agent, planted either by her husband or the KGB. The Cult Box preview for episode 6 seems to give us a hint about my suggestion

I am going to believe you, since you got the information first hand. I have the impression that the last few seconds will show us
Spoiler: show
Harry and Ruth alive, contrary to previous evidence.

I love Ruth and want only the best for her and for Harry too, even though I wish he would listen more to her. Well, what do you expect? He is a typical man.

It might be hard for us to be grateful for any clues, since EndingHappy appeared only once with her/his hopeful message and then disappeared very mysteriously! Hmm. It's not you by chance!

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Scarlet - 19-10-2011 07:15 PM

(19-10-2011 06:18 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Finally, I don't know who EndingHappy is, but he/she seems well-informed and no-one seems to have taken up this reassurance and been grateful for it! Well, Nicola Walker promised me that Spooks wouldn't make me cry (in a bad way!), and I believe her. Smile

She did?! Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better Smile- but then why all the seemingly doom laden comments? I saw a short interview with Lara Pulver where she said
Series 10 Spoiler: show
"Few of us survive."
Or are they all just winding us up knowing it will send the fans into overdrive? Smile Guess we'll know in 4 days!
EndingHappy (of whose true identity I have my suspicions) - was your post based on inside information ? Smile

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - nimax1 - 19-10-2011 08:19 PM

(19-10-2011 05:56 PM)neuro Wrote:  
(19-10-2011 03:15 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(19-10-2011 02:47 PM)beatrice4ruth Wrote:  "Hal", I had to laugh at that. I think that Jim Coaver was just being American. Americans love to shorten first names, at least in schools and in private life too. My favorite is "Mo" for Mohammed.

Well, yeah - on the surface maybe. But I keep going back to his quoting of Wordsworth in 10.1 and then pretending he thought it was Springsteen. He knows it wasn't Springsteen. He was down-playing his knowledge. The guy clearly knows his English literature. Even if Coaver is doing it simply to highlight his familiarity with Harry, I still wonder if the writers were putting it in as another little Easter Egg? Lord knows there have been plenty this series.

Yes an Don't forget that the CIA also recruit from top universities - there are references in the Jack Ryan books to this.

Nice spot so Harry was a bit of a wild boy in his youth then :-0

Well, that he was a wild boy we know from series 10. How else to characterize what he did in Berlin. Wild, impetuous, reckless boy. The wild and impetuous seems to have been tamed. The reckless....well, look at the last two series. But we love him like we love Prince Hal.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Silktie - 20-10-2011 05:59 AM

(19-10-2011 02:22 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  In another completely unrelated thought, did anyone think that Coaver calling Harry "Hal" a direct reference to Prince Hal/Henry V? Not sure about it historically, but Shakespeare's Prince Hal was a loose cannon as a young man but the king he grew into was one of the most heroic. More notably, in the play, Henry V grapples with the moral burden of being King.

Ooh, nice idea! Methinks there are just too many of these symbolisms for it all to be a fluky coincidence. The writers must have planned it.

Re that painting, I am in agreement with those who see it as speaking to Elena's character rather than Ruth's.

Something else that amused me: Ilya has a 'tortoise in the garden', and what does Harry have in his? A box full of secrets. Great stuff.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Sparky - 20-10-2011 07:40 AM

Just a couple of quick thoughts after a re-watch which others may have already mentioned.

When Harry and Ruth are having the conversation after she's stolen the lap-top from the Embassy; him saying to her to pop round to his house and she'll be able to 'read everything', seems to me to demonstrate that he has the utmost trust in her. I saw it as him saying to her, that whatever was on the lap-top was highly secret and probably contained a lot of his past 'secrets', (hence why he didn't want her to take it to the Grid) but that he was fine with her, and her alone, seeing whatever was on there. On a different note, in the filming of that scene Harry seemed to do a lot of his talking without the camera being on his mouth (lots of eyes in the mirror from behind etc) and I wonder if they changed that dialogue (as they often do) after filming had finished?

My other little comment may be nothing at all and just a continuity error, but I know I'm not alone in this observation. When Harry opens the door to Ilya at his house there are no coats hanging, yet when he leaves the next day after disposing of his milk and wearing his overcoat there is a black coat hanging there. Next scene is the Thames 'beach' scene where Ruth after wearing a black coat all series (in fact nothing but black and blue clothing full stop) has on a much lighter grey coat! This could be nothing at all and I (and others) are reading to much into it, or did Ruth pop round for a 'cup of tea' after all? Wink

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - beatrice4ruth - 20-10-2011 12:29 PM

oops, I hope that you are wrong.

I am puzzled. Who would you use the word "dush"? A young person or perhaps one older one?

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - ajones13 - 20-10-2011 12:34 PM

HappyEnding also wants us to enjoy the last episode. Sounds more like an actor than a fan Smile

They also use phrases such as Kindred Spirit, not really a phrase used by our 'Yoof' Smile.

They were also quoting lines of Harry of PF as they referred to him, almost like they knew the script Wink
Also note the tone of their introduction

"Firstly l have to apologise because l didn't see the welcome message from your admin about saying hello until 15 minutes ago."

They refer to "your admin" it's like they are setting themselves apart i.e. not a fan but soemthing else, perhaps an actor, perhaps Nicola Walker.

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Endinghappy - 20-10-2011 01:14 PM

(20-10-2011 12:57 PM)beatrice4ruth Wrote:  Whoever the person (not a teenager) around the grid is, she/he is good-hearted.

Strange how "other than in a good way" reminds me of Ruth in 3.9.

(But not too old l hope!)

Many thanks for the compliment, l appreciate it and l hope l have settled your nerves. You asked about article's earlier.....That is nothing more than boosting coverage,ratings, and every journalist takes different meaning in what is said, just the same as you guys see all different things in episodes and have drastically varying views on it.

I hope you do as l said and go back and re-watch the car scene after the laptop is taken by Ruth. Silba

Now l really have to work!

Bye for now

EndingHappy

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - A Cousin - 20-10-2011 01:51 PM

OK! While I really do appreciate the reassurances re: 10.6 (not to mention the intrigue!), I am going to drag this thread back to the topic of "Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion" and not "Rumours & Speculation."

I am not certain what to think re: Harry's Box O' Secrets buried in his garden? Did anyone notice anything of significance in the box or do you think it is enough to know that it is just a box of very old secrets he had to dispose of before his extradition? It would have been hilarious if he had moved a tortoise to get to it though. Wink Big Grin

Oh and, BTW, I just realized that St. Crispin's Day in Tuesday, October 25th, two days after S10 ends. Running Spooks on Tuesdays would have been funny too. Ironically speaking. Silba

RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Endinghappy - 20-10-2011 02:47 PM

(20-10-2011 01:51 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  OK! While I really do appreciate the reassurances re: 10.6 (not to mention the intrigue!), I am going to drag this thread back to the topic of "Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion" and not "Rumours & Speculation."

I am not certain what to think re: Harry's Box O' Secrets buried in his garden? Did anyone notice anything of significance in the box or do you think it is enough to know that it is just a box of very old secrets he had to dispose of before his extradition? It would have been hilarious if he had moved a tortoise to get to it though. Wink Big Grin

Oh and, BTW, I just realized that St. Crispin's Day in Tuesday, October 25th, two days after S10 ends. Running Spooks on Tuesdays would have been funny too. Ironically speaking. Silba

Please accept my apologies as l have said l am not used to forums or where exactly postings should be.

As for the box...wrong place to be looking there is a much bigger clue in the house as too how Sir Harry spent his last hours before his extradition.Angel