Spooks Forum
What books are you into? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What books are you into? (/thread-257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 30-01-2010 08:04 AM

You fiend! As someone well schooled in both, I'm confident that Lee wrote To Kill A Mockingbird. It reads nothing like anything Capote ever wrote, not to mention that he was in the middle of writing the work that was to become his magnum opus when it was published. Lee was in the finishing stages of TKAM by the time she was sent to Kansas with Capote by the Times (most of the manuscript had already been seen by her publishers, little was changed), and prior to that they hadn't seen each other in about 20 years. So the timelines don't add up.

Can this ridiculous myth finally be put to bed once and for all?!

Speaking of Capote, I often enjoy his short stories more than his novels. You can actually buy them in a compendium now together. I guess they finally bought the rights from Harper's Bazaar who held them for 60 or more years. Other Voices Other Rooms is still my favourite of his novels and I think I've written elsewhere on this thread about how fabulous the Gerald Clarke biography of him is. Especially given he was still able to talk to many of the players themselves, including Capote, while they were still alive.

RE: What books are you into? - Silktie - 11-02-2010 05:29 PM

I recommend a book called Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith for those who like murder mysteries, and is interested in the situation in the old USSR after World War II.

RE: What books are you into? - Sirena - 15-02-2010 04:11 PM

(10-11-2009 08:29 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  For those who like mysteries, try the Stieg Larsson books: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl . . . the Hornet's Nest (can't think of the last title offhand). Also Tana French: In the Woods, The Likeness.

Loved the Harry Potter books, hate the movies -- it really is time someone taught those kids to act!

The Stieg Larsson Trilogy is brilliant! Vueltasss The first in the series has been made into a movie - just hope it isn't in Swedish!
Love Nelson Demille (specifically those with John Corey as the main character) and Stella Remington although her last two books have been a bit sparse as far as the plot goes.

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 15-02-2010 10:21 PM

I've only read one of the Stella Rimingtons - Illegal Asset - and was singularly unimpressed.

RE: What books are you into? - Aria - 15-02-2010 10:47 PM

I am re-reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and thinking this could be Harry and Ruth in 10 years time!! For those of you who are not familiar with the plot, it is about a repressed older man who falls in love with a younger women, they work together for many years, he never declares himself and they miss umpteen chances until she finally marries someone else. I definately need to get out more.

RE: What books are you into? - TygerBright - 12-03-2010 01:35 AM

half through Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere".. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
just brill. Not beating "Good Omens" yet but definitely the read of the year of far..

RE: What books are you into? - fanofChristine - 12-03-2010 11:19 AM

(12-03-2010 01:35 AM)TygerBright Wrote:  half through Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere".. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
just brill. Not beating "Good Omens" yet but definitely the read of the year of far..

Neverwhere is definately a good book. It's dark and full of wit. The characterization of London, Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar are the things that I enjoyed the most about the book.

RE: What books are you into? - Sirena - 12-03-2010 01:38 PM

I've been dying to read this but haven't had a copy come into the shop yet.

RE: What books are you into? - TygerBright - 12-03-2010 04:32 PM

Mr. V and Mr. C are quite some characters.. but I like Hunter.. she reminds me of War in "Good Omens" .. wonder if that was Gaiman's creation too.. all four horsemen seem to bear his signature..

RE: What books are you into? - HellsBells - 19-03-2010 11:59 AM

(11-02-2010 05:29 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I recommend a book called Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith for those who like murder mysteries, and is interested in the situation in the old USSR after World War II.

Thanks for the recommendation Silktie ! I have just read this book and it was brilliant. It isn't the sort of book I would normally pick but I really enjoyed it.