Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What books are you into?
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
What books are you into?
I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie, especiall the Poirot books Big Grin she doesn't really introduce characters very well but the plots are just fantastic, I have failed to predict what happens in every book. The twists and turns are just Thud

I'm mostly into crime novels, sci-fi and fantasy but I enjoy Bill Bryson's books aswell. And James Herriot. Oh and those knowledge books like "Do Polar Bears Get Lonely?: And 101 Other Intriguing Science Questions" and "Does Anything Eat Wasps?: And 101 Other Questions" (I love New Scientist magazine Tongue) I also like 'The Hobbit' not such a big fan of LOTR, the battles drag on too much for my liking. I'm going to stop now because the list goes on and on Tongue

[Image: series5_ep10.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
RE: What books are you into?
I read far too much to even list an overview but I recently bought the unofficial history of MI5 (of course). Tiny print but it will keep me busy, and also reading Clive Everton's history of the darker side of snooker and lots of other things.
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I just googled it, it sounds good Smile I think I might see if I can get my hands on it.

Welcome to the forums btw. Just ask if you need any help Big Grin

04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Like you Tranquility, I've failed to predict the outcome of all of her books. In my book, excuse the pun, that makes for an excellent read.
I enjoy thrillers, crime novels and science fiction/fantasy. My favourite book(s) is The Bourne Trilogy, the films really didn't do them justice. I enjoy reading Harlan Coben and I like the characters in Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks books.
04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a two of Robert Ludlum's books, The Bourne Identity and The Apocalypse Watch but I confess that I have read neither. I watched half of the film 'The Bourne Identity' and switched it off. I didn't really give myself a chance to get into the story, Matt Damon just annoys me so much. So I blame him. I'll get round to reading the books at some point Smile

04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Robert Ludlum & Jeffrey Deaver... Patricia Cornwell is good too.

I must confess that I like Any McNab's stuff aswell. Big Grin

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I've been reading Chuck Palahniuk, Lee Child, the Parker novels by Richard Stark, and Greg Rucka's novels.

I used to read more Science Fiction and Fantasy, but have fallen away from it and moving on to more crime and spy fiction.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
05-10-2009, 06:06 AM
I also read mostly whgodunnits and spy novels. My favourite authors are PD James for the whodunnits and John le Carre for the spy novels.

My all-time favourite book, however, is Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg. Just brilliantly atmospheric.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Reading I prefer fantasy and sci fi stuff these days.
CS Friedman, Robin Hobb, Storm Constantine, Traci Harding, Anne McCaffrey and Joan D Vinge are probably my favourite authors. Yeah - all chicks. LOL!

Always adored Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice and have read them MANY times!

Once upon a time in my teens I LOVED Stephen Kings books but after a while I stopped reading them (apart from rereading my favourites) but I recently started reading the Dark Tower series which I hadnt read before and am really loving it.

I dont read as many books these days (ah teh days of being unemployed and haunting the public library a couple of times a week) so mostly read my favourite authors, or things that appeal to me (like I read North & SOuth recently because I wanted to see how it compared to the miniseries) but if someone whos opinion I trust recommends something i will give anything a go.

"But, predictably, I never got further than furtive hamming in the full-length mirror, striking Napoleon poses and mouthing Machiavellian catchphrases."~Necrotriva vs Skull
05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Bertowud, you said you like reading Lee Childs. Am I right in thinking that he has written a series of books about an ex-special services guy who's a bit of a loner. If that is right can you tell me what the books are like and which one introduces the character (can't remember his name) because I might just give them a go. Someone once sung Childs' praises to me a long time ago and I never got round to having a look.