Spooks Forum
What books are you into? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What books are you into? (/thread-257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What books are you into? - spooksdreamer - 24-04-2010 01:28 AM

I'm a big fan of:

- The Millenium Trilogy
- Harry Potter
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Power Of Five

and heaps of others which I can't remembver till after I post this. Yahoo

RE: What books are you into? - HellsBells - 28-05-2010 10:44 AM

I have just finished reading "The Afghan" by Frederick Forsyth. This is quite a 'heavy' book but incredibly fascinating with a brilliant summary of Afghan history, and a twist at the end. It had so much detail in it, I felt as if I was learning as well as being entertained. It is one of the few books that I will read again in due course.

RE: What books are you into? - Margaret - 28-05-2010 01:16 PM

Have to say that The Millenium Trilogy is "unputdownable". I've just started The girl who played with fire. Worth a look, if you haven't checked the trilogy already.

There are some good writers from Iceland who are being published in English: Arnaldur Indridason (Jar City, The draining lake, Arctic Chill, Hypothermia) and Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Thora Gudmundsdottir series: Last rituals, My soul to take and forthcoming: Ashes to dust). If you like the work of Henning Mankell (Wallander) you might like to check these out.

I also enjoy Barbara Nadel (Cetin Ikmen series), Donna Leon and Alex Gray, who writes about a Glasgow policeman, Inspector Lorimer.)

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 22-09-2010 10:23 AM

I'm reading 'Cruel Shoes' for the first time in years and remembering why Steve Martin became a star. Totally fantastic. Would highly recommend for teenage boys especially.

RE: What books are you into? - Jericho - 24-09-2010 11:38 AM

Tom Clancy novels.

My fare is the usual pedestrian stuff, biographies, crime, political thrillers etc.

Clancy is one author I will always read no matter what the reviews say. Simply put, his work is always well researched and authoritative.

Red Storm Rising is still my favourite.

RE: What books are you into? - Nia M - 24-09-2010 03:19 PM

My mum loves Tom Clancy novels. I myself have never read them, but I might now that I have another recommendation for them Tongue

Am personally working through a load of classics at the moment - 'Under the Greenwood Tree', 'North and South' (again Big Grin), 'The Phantom of the Opera', that sort of thing

RE: What books are you into? - Naivety - 24-09-2010 08:28 PM

I read North and South recently, mainly due to watching RA in the mini series - great book. Also read Pride and Prejudice about every six months, it's like the book equivalent of comfort eating. I like crime novels, especially Val McDermid's Tony Hill series which have a good angsty theme running through them.
One series of books I haven't seen mentioned here are the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, they're really contemporary, very funny stories about a bounty hunter set in New Jersey. Hysterically funny in places.
I'm waiting for Harry's Diary to come from Amazon at the mo.

RE: What books are you into? - Nia M - 24-09-2010 09:29 PM

That's how I first found out about the book (never heard of it before looking up RA's previous work and watching N&S) but had I heard of it without RA's contribution I would have read it anyway. Pride and Prejudice is another favourite classic for me too, although I don't read it as often as you do Tongue

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 25-09-2010 09:03 AM

A few weeks ago I was told to read 'Ask the Dust' by John Fante. It is so good, I can't believe I had never heard of him before, especially because I love a lot of other American writers from the same period.

I will definitely be reading more of his stuff.

RE: What books are you into? - Skully - 25-09-2010 09:16 AM

I won't bore anyone with the zillions of books I'm reading for my PhD! The one "non-PhD" book I'm currently reading is 'A most immoral woman' by Australian writer Linda Jaivin. I saw her speak at a writers festival a couple of years ago, she's good value! Looking forward to reading North and South next.