Spooks Forum
What books are you into? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What books are you into? (/thread-257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 09-12-2009 03:39 PM

Has anyone else read Mother Night by Vonnegut? It's a favorite of mine.

RE: What books are you into? - YourFutureMuse - 09-12-2009 11:34 PM

(05-12-2009 12:55 PM)Margaret Wrote:  I have just finished Stella Rimington's latest in the Liz Carlyle series:

Liz Carlyle
1. At Risk (2004)
2. Secret Asset (2005)
3. Illegal Action (2007)
4. Dead Line (2008)
5. Present Danger (2009)

I love those books too Big GrinBig Grin I only started to read them cos they said 'from the former head of MI5' on the cover and I had a Spooks moment lol but they are soooo good.
I wonder if Harry will write thrillers once he's retired LOL WinkTongue

RE: What books are you into? - kirmostar - 12-12-2009 07:57 PM

I also bought the MI5 History and am getting through it gradually - don't want to rush! Also love Kathy Reichs, John Irving and Ben Elton to name but a few

RE: What books are you into? - lwhite53 - 12-12-2009 11:46 PM

The MI5 history is slow going -- a serious tome and dense!

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 13-12-2009 11:08 AM

I was thinking about getting that....

Something I always like to re-read this time of year is Jostein Gaarder's The Christmas Mystery. Get you in the mood. For the holidays.

RE: What books are you into? - Margaret - 13-12-2009 12:13 PM

Just finished Complicit by Nicci French. Rather a strange story, with shifts in time used to develop the plot and story. I think some of her others are better.

I also like Henning Mankell, the Swedish author: he created the character Kurt Wallander, the Swedish policeman. Don't worry, the books have been translated into English, so you don't need to know Swedish to enjoy them. There was also a Swedish TV series, and a UK series of Wallander, which I have not seen yet. The Swedish series is excellent.

I am now reading Mankell's "Depths". It's not a Wallander story and I didn't read it when it was first published in English in 2006 because I didn't think I would like it. However, I was wrong. Set in 1914, the story so far tells of a naval engineer making sound readings for the Swedish Navy. He appears to be involved in some kind of secret mission.

You might like to check out the Wallander series at some stage.

RE: What books are you into? - Silktie - 13-12-2009 12:24 PM

I have read most of the Wallander books, they're great. I particularly like the sense of melancholy you get from Wallander the character, which I thought was well captured by Kenneth Branagh in the UK miniseries.

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 13-12-2009 01:04 PM

That actually sounds like something good for a present I'm having trouble with. Ta!

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 30-12-2009 04:14 AM

Another author I enjoy who comingles fantasy and detective style stories into his books is a guy named Steven Brust. The original books were influenced by Robert Parker's early Spenser novels, but not too much. They're interesting. The protagonist has a psychic link to his pet dragon like creature.

RE: What books are you into? - Kirayuki - 05-01-2010 11:09 PM

(05-12-2009 12:55 PM)Margaret Wrote:  I have just finished Stella Rimington's latest in the Liz Carlyle series:

Liz Carlyle
1. At Risk (2004)
2. Secret Asset (2005)
3. Illegal Action (2007)
4. Dead Line (2008)
5. Present Danger (2009)

All of these are worth a look.

Couldn't find the first one in Waterstones today but i found the rest of them, subsequently resulting in me purchasing 'Secret Asset' (Which i'm really enjoying already) & 'Illegal Action'.

I also bought myself some audio books today for my daily bus journeys, being namely 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' (read by Peter Firth) Tongue and 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy' (read by Stephen Fry).

Also bought a copy of 'Frankenstien' by Mary Shelly for the hell of it when i want a good classic to read. Big Grin

My favourite book i've read recently though is probably 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon.
'A Cold Heart' by Johnathan Kellerman was also enjoyable as far as i got but i've had to put it down. Hoping to pick it up again soon.

(As you can probably tell, my reading tastes vary an awful lot. Tongue)

(Whilst i'm here i'd like to point out that if you like audio-stories, 'The Time Being: Jules' (read by Nicola Walker) is a short story at about 15mins long which is currently on iplayer. It's worth a listen. I enjoyed it. Smile)