Spooks Forum
What books are you into? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What books are you into? (/thread-257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 05-01-2010 11:14 PM

You can get Tess of the D'Urbervilles read by PF? Oh my God, I must buy it at once!!! Where did you get it? Thomas Hardy CAN get better.

RE: What books are you into? - Kirayuki - 05-01-2010 11:19 PM

Surely you mean Peter Firth... Tongue
It's 14hrs 45mins long on 12 discs unabridged.
I got mine from 'Waterstones' but they also sell it on 'Audible'. Big Grin

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 05-01-2010 11:21 PM

In my excitement I got it wrong. I must have it!

RE: What books are you into? - Beatriz - 06-01-2010 01:54 PM

(30-12-2009 04:14 AM)bertowud Wrote:  Another author I enjoy who comingles fantasy and detective style stories into his books is a guy named Steven Brust. The original books were influenced by Robert Parker's early Spenser novels, but not too much. They're interesting. The protagonist has a psychic link to his pet dragon like creature.

It isn't the novel in which Eragon (the film) was based, is it? I haven't read the book but the film was pretty bad.
The Three Wise men left me as present Essay of Blindness by José Saramago, I haven't read anything written by him and I am eager to read it.

RE: What books are you into? - kirmostar - 06-01-2010 02:02 PM

I just bought North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - obviously just so I can imagine RA smouldering all the way through it. Loved the televised version.

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 06-01-2010 02:26 PM

(06-01-2010 01:54 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  It isn't the novel in which Eragon (the film) was based, is it? I haven't read the book but the film was pretty bad.

It's not. The first book in the series is called Jhereg. It was originally published in 1983. The main character is a human named Vlad Taltos who lives on a world primarily populated by elves. He's a hitman for the equivalent of the mob in the area he works in. He's also a local mob boss. But the stories are primarily about him solving mysteries. They're interesting books. The most recent one was released today in hard cover. I just downloaded it on my Kindle.

The element that really does appeal to me is he has the dragonlike creature I mentioned in my previous post and they have a psychic link and Loiosh, the creature's name, is very sarcastic. It's like having the class clown in your head, but no one else can hear the joke, so you know you can't bust out laughing.

RE: What books are you into? - Beatriz - 06-01-2010 06:31 PM

It seems very enjoyable (I love elves and dragons Smile) How many books are there in the series?

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 07-01-2010 09:13 AM

There are currently 13 with a total of 19 planned.

You can get the titles here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Brust#Bibliography

The books I'm talking about is the Vlad Taltos series.

He's also written 6 other books in that world that don't impact Vlad directly.

RE: What books are you into? - Beatriz - 07-01-2010 10:32 AM

That's a lot!! but they seem very enjoyable so I'll go to the book store to see if they have them and have a look Smile

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 08-01-2010 03:39 AM

There are also omnibus editions that collect two or three of the books. They're a good size too.

I started reading Freedom ™ a techno thriller by Daniel Suarez this morning. It's a direct sequel to Daemon by the same author. It's a hi tech thriller about a computer geek getting his revenge from beyond the grave and the tech isn't that far beyond what we have currently.