Spooks Forum
What books are you into? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: What books are you into? (/thread-257.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: What books are you into? - JHyde - 11-01-2010 06:29 AM

I'm re-reading Tender Is The Night by F.Scott Fitgerald. I generall prefer his short stories to his novels, which is funny because he wrote most of his short stories as a way of making money to keep him going between bigger, more important works. But this is his best novel, I think - greatly underappreciated. It's funny because when I read I pick up all the typos that his editor Max Perkins let through. Perkins wasn't a brilliant speller, but he was at the vanguard of what we know to be modern publishing, and he championed some of the most important American authors of the 20s, 30s and 40s.

I would also recommend Scott Berg's biography of Perkins which he wrote in 1979 as a postgrad thesis. Truly excellent work from a fine biographer who was to gain fame as a close friend of Katharine Hepburn and win the Pulitzer for his excellent biography of Charles Lindbergh. The Lindbergh book is one of the best biographies I have ever read.

RE: What books are you into? - TygerBright - 12-01-2010 11:29 PM

Bobby Robson's "Farewell but not Goodbye".
I miss him.

RE: What books are you into? - i luv lucas - 15-01-2010 01:23 PM

Yes, Bobby Robson was a god, and his book is a fantastic read too!!

I like all sorts, I have just read the new James Patterson, and am now finally ready to start Dawn French's autobiography, I am hoping that RA al least gets a mention!!! I have a library, so if anyone ever finds themselves short of a book, then shout!! I have thousands of them, as I get very attached, and cannot get rid of any of them!! Ho hum

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 21-01-2010 03:18 AM

For fans of the Spenser novels, Robert B. Parker died yesterday. Very sad day indeed.

Parker reintroduced the sarcastic detective back into American popular culture.

RE: What books are you into? - TygerBright - 21-01-2010 06:06 PM

That's sad news indeed Sad. Spenser is my second favourite PI, after Marlowe.. Must find my collection of Parker books, long time no read..

RE: What books are you into? - bertowud - 21-01-2010 08:15 PM

Which ironically is who Parker was paying tribute to with Spenser.
I'm actually working my way backward with the Spenser novels. I started with one from a couple of years ago and have been going backwards trying to work my way back to Godwulf Manuscript. Of course I have very little time to read for pleasure these days.

RE: What books are you into? - almh - 21-01-2010 08:20 PM

I'm going to sound a bit geeky now, but I'm currently reading "Why does E=mc^2 and why should we care?" and I've finished reading "Quantum Physics can't help you." I am actually really enjoying these Smile The next book on my reading list is going to be the official History of MI5, but I'm having enough trouble fitting all my school books in my bag and a small reading book, let alone the history of MI5. They didn't miss much out did they? Tongue

RE: What books are you into? - lwhite53 - 21-01-2010 08:47 PM

They didn't miss out on anything, except the classified bits. That is one seriously BIG book!

RE: What books are you into? - almh - 21-01-2010 08:48 PM

I think I may have to leave it until half term - at the moment I'm just staring at it in awe. Is it good?

RE: What books are you into? - lwhite53 - 21-01-2010 11:03 PM

Is it good? Hmmm . . . well it's certainly comprehensive! It's not what I'd call a page turner, but it is informative, well researched, and a great reference source.