Spooks Forum
Episode 3 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 3 Discussion (/thread-368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - lwhite53 - 20-11-2009 02:19 AM

(20-11-2009 02:17 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Well, yes, that was why I was glad they didn't linger! The priority, I would imagine would be disarming Nina. I thought they shot that other woman?

No, I think she actually took a shot at Finn after he shot Rudy. She missed!

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - dannyfriar - 20-11-2009 04:21 AM

Ok, as much as I loved Jo, her death just seemed rushed and futile. Ros could have easily shot his arm or his leg and the device would have fallen out of his hand, enabling Jo to disarm and secure him. I think the slow-motion of Jo falling down, also took the seriousness and emotion element away from her death; it would have been much more poignant and shocking if there had been no music and she had fallen down fast (aka, normally.)
She also had about 20 SO19 officers to go down with. They could have at least given her a bullet proof vest?!

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - JHyde - 20-11-2009 04:35 AM

In many ways, I found Jo's death to be very like Fiona's, in the sense that you could find 20 problems with how the story ended up there, but it felt terrible watching it all happen.

My sister and I still argue about how many ways 4.7 ould have been written differently. I suspect this episode will have the same impact.

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - dannyfriar - 20-11-2009 05:03 AM

It's just a shame that Miranda Raison spoiled it for everyone when she mentioned on GMTV that she was leaving - her death would have been a lot more shocking if I wasn't expecting it...

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - almh - 20-11-2009 06:43 AM

I didn't watch the GMTV interview (I watched the GMTV thing where they were talking to Peter/Hermione, but got put off GMTV,) so didn't know, but my mum saw it before me as I was on holiday, obviously told my sisters part of what happened and my youngest sister decided to tell me that "someone d-" It didn't take much to figure that out, and I knew that Ros was in the next episode, so no real surprise. It was still shocking when it happened.

And, according to my mum (this is one of the first episodes where we've actually both seen it more than once and watched it on BBC 1 together,) they couldn't have shot him anywhere except the head or chest as they needed pretty much immediate death - if they had gone for the leg then he would have been in agony, but still might have pressed the button.

And another thing we picked up - that guy must have a massive lift - they got all 30 of them down in one go! And it didn't go down very far, considering that it was meant to be 15m below ground.

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - JHyde - 20-11-2009 02:55 PM

I think it's terrific that just a few hours out from episode 4, the forum has hit 500 members. Very exciting!

The main things I'm looking for in episode 4 are how Ros, Harry and Ruth react to Jo's departure. And it's a big Lucas episode, so all you Armitage fans should suit up.

I really am curious to see how many of us return to this thread over the next few weeks, and maybe longer, as the effects of Jo's death become clear. This death, whilst not wholly unexpected, has really carved a chasm between members, and not just on this forum. Twitter went crazy last week. And the fact that it was Ros who pulled the trigger will surely hang over her head, even though she absolutely made the right call.

Strictly speaking this post isn't *just* about episode 3, but I wanted to provide some link to the new episode, summarise a little of what discussion in this thread has focused on, and get excited for the halfway mark of season 8! Especially if you're just dipping in here before watching. I like to help out where I can Smile

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - Asjenw - 20-11-2009 04:25 PM

(20-11-2009 02:55 PM)JHyde Wrote:  This death, whilst not wholly unexpected, has really carved a chasm between members, and not just on this forum. Twitter went crazy last week.

Haha, I looked on twitter and the main two types of reactions are that people don't care because they didn't like Jo and that people were very shocked by her death, just because she was so hot/fit/sexy/good looking Tongue

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - Silktie - 20-11-2009 04:33 PM

I do wonder, though, if Kudos is not overdoing the shocking deaths thing now? Sure, it used to be novel at one stage, but it has now become the expected thing in Spooks, thus losing its novelty and shock value for me.

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - almh - 20-11-2009 04:37 PM

Yeah, it's sort of like we now expect them, it's no longer shocking. Helen's death was good because no one expected it. Got a record number of complaints, but it was good.

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - lwhite53 - 20-11-2009 04:49 PM

(20-11-2009 04:37 PM)almh Wrote:  Yeah, it's sort of like we now expect them, it's no longer shocking. Helen's death was good because no one expected it. Got a record number of complaints, but it was good.

Danny's death had that OMG effect, too. I think what makes it somewhat different in Jo's situation was who it was that shot her. Even though it's yet another agent's death, getting shot by your teammate is different. Although, I do agree with you that deaths in spooks are no longer shocking -- which is why the should leave Harry and Ruth alive together; that would be totally unexpected.Tongue