Spooks Forum
Episode 3 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 3 Discussion (/thread-368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - RozQuinn. - 17-11-2009 05:44 PM

(17-11-2009 05:32 PM)almh Wrote:  I agree with everything you said! The Harry/Ruth relationship is being brilliantly portrayed by Peter Firth, Nicola Walker and the writers. It's just those little touches that make it work!

I was wondering if Ruth would have just ran a mile when Harry said he was trusting her with something that no one else knew - it reminded me of episode 1. She knew something secret, and look how that turned out.

Oh, I know. I was thinking the exact same thing but then again, when you think about it...
She's staying with Harry this time. She has nothing left to loose in terms of her cypriet family - not really.
So what is she actually protecting by keeping herself in the dark?

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 06:00 PM

Herself, I think. She doesn't want to be hurt again, utterly understandable. And if she doesn't know she's less likely to be hurt.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 17-11-2009 07:44 PM

(17-11-2009 09:11 AM)Silktie Wrote:  - Absolutely loved the last scene between Harry and Ruth. It showed that although they had made progress with their professional relationship, they are still very much at sea in their personal relationship. And I think that's accurate. They probably haven't talked much since the mutual apologies last week, instead using Jo as go-between. Now Jo is dead after Harry sent her in there, so obviously Harry can't just walk up to Ruth and hug her in my opinion. Like Nitrus said, that last shot was beautifully done.

Well . . . ok . . . maybe. This explanation has moved me a step or two away from my initial "I hate it" stance.Confused

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 07:46 PM

I had that with episode 1 - at first I hated it, but now I'm reconciled to it. Don't worry about it Wink

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 17-11-2009 07:47 PM

lwhite53 just wanted to see them hug, that's all. Disappointment.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 07:48 PM

lol, as did most Spooks fans! (me included Sad Poor Ruth and poor Harry! (And poor Ros and Jo...))

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 17-11-2009 08:01 PM

Nah, didn't necessarily need to see them hug, just wanted H to show some more empathy/sympathy
-- loss of Jo devastated both of them, I'm sure.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 08:03 PM

Harry was showing sympathy/empathy!!! Except the bit right at the end - perhaps he should have stood with her, but I equally think that he made the right choice not to. Neither have recovered from 8.1 yet, and I think that Harry thought it would be better if he left her alone.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 17-11-2009 08:05 PM

You wanted to see his arm around her! You said so!

I agree with Silktie, I've also outlined major reasons why it was problematic earlier in the thread.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - Beatriz - 17-11-2009 08:07 PM

I thought (at first) he wasn't showing sympathy but then I realised (and after reading the meaning of the shot here), that it was the right choice, and sometimes you prefer crying alone (talking about me) than being conforted...