Spooks Forum
Episode 3 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 3 Discussion (/thread-368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 08:07 PM

Yeah, well, I'm on my third viewing now so I'm changing my mind Blush

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 17-11-2009 08:08 PM

It's just that their inability to share emotionally makes me despair for that relationship. As I said somewhere earlier, even shared pain is, at the very least, something they can have together.Sad

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 17-11-2009 08:09 PM

Yeah Sad I suppose...

BTW JHyde, just started reading the first couple of pages of this, nice to know I was missed Wink

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - Beatriz - 17-11-2009 08:18 PM

(17-11-2009 08:07 PM)almh Wrote:  Yeah, well, I'm on my third viewing now so I'm changing my mind Blush
I'll rewatch it when I get my subtitles (the problem is that they do it based on the BBC1 episode Sad), I get most of the dialogues but there's always sth that I don't catch, and I'm not able to wait for them, it's like a weeks late!! (sorry for the offtopic, but I needed to "complain" (just kidding the people who make the subtitles are very kind! Wink)

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 18-11-2009 01:46 AM

(17-11-2009 06:00 PM)almh Wrote:  Herself, I think. She doesn't want to be hurt again, utterly understandable. And if she doesn't know she's less likely to be hurt.

As it turns out, she didn't know what the bad guys wanted to know in ep 1 either and that didn't keep her safe! Another catch-22!

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 18-11-2009 06:37 AM

Oh dear, Spooks does well at catch-22s don't they?!

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 18-11-2009 08:56 AM

Look at almh, showing off now that she knows what a catch 22 is!

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - Silktie - 18-11-2009 11:53 AM

(17-11-2009 02:23 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  
Quote:Silktie wrote:
RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!!
The premise was an interesting one, and the showtrials on the internet was, I thought, an interesting touch. Also thought it was telling that so many people actually voted in this macabre game - that was a great commentary on the fabric of society today.

The internet trial idea isn't original to Spooks, was used by one of the Law and Order franchises 3 or so years ago, to the same effect -- the "defendant" was sentenced to death by the internet jury.

Maybe my expectations have been stunted by 20 years' worth of TV viewing, but I honestly don't care whether the ideas used are original, only that they are done well. I care whether the show can pull me in through the execution of the storyline, and the quality of the acting. Though I agree with those who said the episode felt uneven, it did pull me in and the performances were good, even the one by the main bad guy, who refrained from going over the top with his performance.

I could have done without the very long snog-fest between him and the niece, though...

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 18-11-2009 12:08 PM

Me too, Silktie. (I seem to say that a lot, don't I?) And as I pointed out, showtrials are nothing new either. They've had those since democracy gave them a trial to bastardise.

I love how well read Ruth was even after 2 years or so in Cyrus. She still knew about very obscure personalities with lots of money, not all of those men would be in newspapers. And note that they were all men. A little bit like when Harry used to go to JIC meetings. (Juliet was head of the SIC.)

A quick point in respinse to people who queried as to why Ros didn't take a head shot. I'm not a marksman, but I can tell you that he had his finger on the explosive device, and when you shoot someone in your head, part of the neuro response is to clench your fist. Think about what that action might do to the device, and Ros' mission was to get those others out. A fair exchange for Jo? Remember also that Jo couldn't shift her balance, and what seems to take 10 seconds has been slowed down. The real action, I thought, was meant to take place in just a moment, a mere second. It wasn't like they lingered there in real time.

I find that execution to be very graphic (not that I'm bitching about standards, I'm just saying). Having that white sheet there was very effective, especially once they put someone else there with the last man's blood spattered behind him.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - Silktie - 18-11-2009 12:17 PM

(18-11-2009 12:08 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I love how well read Ruth was even after 2 years or so in Cyrus. She still knew about very obscure personalities with lots of money, not all of those men would be in newspapers.

That's an interesting point. So even though she claims to have loved her clerical job at the hospital in 8.1, she couldn't totally shake off her desire to be in the know. She remains an information junkie who compulsively reads the news, and probably a few sites she should not have had access to. You don't lose those hacking skills just because you changed jobs, after all. Wink I wonder, if the events of 8.1 had not occurred, whether Ruth would have been able to remain content with her "simple and elegant life"?