Spooks Forum
Episode 3 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 3 Discussion (/thread-368.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 18-11-2009 12:50 PM

I doubt very much she could have crammed everything's she missed since she got back, nor could all those movers and shakers be entirely the same since she left. Lately I've been thinking a lot about that conversation Harry and Ruth have at the end of Series 4, the one where Harry talks about his "limitations" and then says "self control, self denial - these are the things that keep us together in this job." Will these words haunt him this season? He then calls her "a born Spook". And she is - I don't think someone who compulsively sponges information and analyses it like Ruth ever lets that go. It would have been more low key, and maybe she only "stumbles" upon it when looking for other things, but I doubt very much that her life was as empty of her former life as she claims.

I wrote in the episode 1 summary how much I loved it that she described her life in Cyprus as "elegant". Fantastic choice of words for her by Ben Richards.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - almh - 18-11-2009 02:38 PM

I'm not sure if she would have been - maybe she would have been content with just having a family, but I think she always loved her job, and it shows "its good to be back," and of course, her up to date knowledge of who everyone is.

Of course I'm showing off that I know what a catch 22 is! Wink

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - nikronaldo - 18-11-2009 02:46 PM

Ya ep 3 was really good
i actually never would even hve guessed that Jo would die

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 18-11-2009 02:48 PM

(18-11-2009 11:53 AM)Silktie Wrote:  [quote]Silktie wrote:
RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!!

I could have done without the very long snog-fest between him and the niece, though...

Me too, although there was a very funny line in there -- Rudy, the computer geek bad guy, yells at Finn and Nina what I think was "Get a room" in French. Any French speakers out there who can translate that line?

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - JHyde - 18-11-2009 02:54 PM

I know I caught that too! I can't tell exactly if he shouts that, mainly because I was doing the same thing (Tongue) but my guess would be "Obtenez une salle!". It could be another colloquialism though, I'm not sure.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 18-11-2009 03:15 PM

He said something with "un chambre" at the end, which was the word that caught my attention.

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - kirmostar - 18-11-2009 04:29 PM

He says "Cherchez une chambre" meaning "find a room"

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - lwhite53 - 18-11-2009 05:55 PM

(18-11-2009 04:29 PM)kirmostar Wrote:  He says "Cherchez une chambre" meaning "find a room"

Most interesting part of that whole scene, inho.Wink

RE: Episode 3 = Best episode of all time!! - sam b - 18-11-2009 07:14 PM

No I was totally gripped thought it was excellent!!!!!!!!!Typical spooks writing, Ros was very cool I did feel sorry for at the end

RE: Episode 3 Discussion - Sidney Reilly - 19-11-2009 07:34 PM

Ok, finally caught up with S8E3 last night, I did’nt think it was their greatest episode but then again neither was it a really bad one (no such thing really), there was a lot more that I enjoyed than didn’t enjoy. Harry and Ruth….well, it’s certainly building, “It was either that or a basket of muffins” what a corker line and I agree with Harry it’s certainly good to see Ruth back on the grid, she knew all the guys entering the hotel on the cctv and just roots around and digs up that info that the team needs, how did they ever survive without her? I felt that Ros’s role limited her to moody looks at the young girl but the finish with Jo just blew me away, it really was an OMG moment. However, Ros would have been trained to head shoot the guy to stop him pressing the button as a shot to the torso may well stop the heart it won’t stop all motor action to the hands which you need to stop someone pressing a button. But I am glad that they did’nt finish Jo with a hole in her forehead it would have been “sick and wrong (quoting my daughter there). I think the final scene with Harry one side of the glass and Ruth crying on the other side was done to pace out their relationship throughout the series as there are quite a few episodes to go (but not nearly enough imho), and many thanks to femaleBertieWooster for the brilliant picture on the Harry’s like Batman thread. Half way through I did wonder if the group that the Home Sec. referred to at the end of S8E2 could have been behind this and I wonder just where they will pop up again (this could be Harry’s nemesis that I suggested in the Harry’s like Batman thread, apologies for referring to my own post Blush). You just have to love the Americans, they threaten with an air strike when a couple of CS gas canisters down the lift shaft would have done just as well and I was seriously worried for the nursery six doors down as they probably would have missed the hotel and bombed that instead (then again it’s best you deal with the under 5’s al qaeda cells as early as possible). There was one thing that the writers seriously let themselves down with though, the internet feed. I know they were bouncing it off of five servers a second and if the grid tried to hack in they could have crashed it but….. it could’nt have been a wireless connection as they were in an underground room surrounded on all sides by sixteen inches of re-enforced concrete and even if they did get a wireless signal then a jammer placed above the room would have scuttled it. If it was a hard wired connection then Jo or Lucas could have dealt with it using their Government issue swiss army knife (the bomb disposal wire cutting tool would have done a grand job). All in all I thought it was quite a fast paced episode and I enjoyed it (the terrorist snogging scene was a little bit overdone though), the internet voting was a lovely touch although in the subsequent trials I’m pretty sure people would have just been voting for the entertainment value of seeing another billionaire getting executed rather than the issues at hand, as gratuitous violence will always be the big winner with todays society. The episode 4 trailer has me waiting for Friday night with baited breath 25hrs 30mins and counting...