Spooks Forum
If this is the last Series how will it end? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: If this is the last Series how will it end? (/thread-376.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - JHyde - 19-11-2009 09:26 PM

Weirdly enough, much of international law operates on that principle, and truthfully many people in the intelligence services and the various militaries would be there too. It's also why the US hasn't been a signatory - or at least, that's what they've said publicly.

Anyway, I'm veering off topic. It would be terribly sad if in saving the UK, Harry had to sacrifice Ruth too. And then was locked up in the Hague.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - bertowud - 19-11-2009 09:30 PM

(19-11-2009 09:26 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Anyway, I'm veering off topic. It would be terribly sad if in saving the UK, Harry had to sacrifice Ruth too. And then was locked up in the Hague.

And I thought I was going to make people mad. You're going to have almh all over you now.

That would be kinda like the ending of The Shield. Vic Mackey losing everybody and having to live with himself in prison (sorta).
Anyway, to keep myself from veering too far off topic, that's the way I'd end the show.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - almh - 19-11-2009 10:07 PM

Just got back from watching Children in Need concert on tv, and you're right! Do not even mention sacrificing Harry or Ruth - we've already had 5.5, we don't need another version! Give them a chance to be happy! Why can't we just have a nice ending, or the implication that it's going to be happy, you know, maybe not explicitly saying "and they lived happily ever after" but implying that they at least have a happy life. If that makes sense.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - bertowud - 19-11-2009 10:39 PM

(19-11-2009 10:07 PM)almh Wrote:  Just got back from watching Children in Need concert on tv, and you're right! Do not even mention sacrificing Harry or Ruth - we've already had 5.5, we don't need another version! Give them a chance to be happy! Why can't we just have a nice ending, or the implication that it's going to be happy, you know, maybe not explicitly saying "and they lived happily ever after" but implying that they at least have a happy life. If that makes sense.

Because that would make it too Hollywood.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - femaleBertieWooster - 19-11-2009 11:30 PM

(19-11-2009 08:58 PM)bertowud Wrote:  If and when the show ends, I almost vote for a Seinfeld type ending. Someone gets killed, one or two others are captured on a mission in another country, and Harry is taken to prison in the UK for crimes against the state, but it would have to be something where he had to do it to save the country or was the scapegoat. And one last person in the Grid alone trying to figure out what to do.

That should have people hating me for a while.

Great minds work alike. I suggested a Seinfeld-like ending a couple of pages back. That would leave open the possibility of another season even if in a year or two.

(A little off topic but I was in New York for the last episode of Seinfeld. There was a Yankees game that night and on the huge message board that everyone in the stadium can see, they had "Fare well Costanza." It was a thing of beauty and frosting on the cake. I was one of the people who loved the ending. I didn't realize most didn't.)

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - bertowud - 19-11-2009 11:35 PM

(19-11-2009 11:30 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  
(19-11-2009 08:58 PM)bertowud Wrote:  If and when the show ends, I almost vote for a Seinfeld type ending. Someone gets killed, one or two others are captured on a mission in another country, and Harry is taken to prison in the UK for crimes against the state, but it would have to be something where he had to do it to save the country or was the scapegoat. And one last person in the Grid alone trying to figure out what to do.

That should have people hating me for a while.

Great minds work alike. I suggested a Seinfeld-like ending a couple of pages back. That would leave open the possibility of another season even if in a year or two.

(A little off topic but I was in New York for the last episode of Seinfeld. There was a Yankees game that night and on the huge message board that everyone in the stadium can see, they had "Fare well Costanza." It was a thing of beauty and frosting on the cake. I was one of the people who loved the ending. I didn't realize most didn't.)

You did and I apologize for not giving proper credit. I still wish they had had a 5 year later special.
Maybe we need to start a Great TV Series Endings thread in the Break Room.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - JHyde - 19-11-2009 11:40 PM

The difference here is that I really like the characters in this show, and really care about them. In Seinfeld, funny though the show was, it wasn't like I wanted to be Elaine when I grew up.

The main reason I think an unsentimental ending is probably best is because it's more in keeping with the show's themes these last 8 years. It's not as though anyone on the show has had much of a happy ending (Zoe was probably the closest, and maybe Tom depending on how life went for him after leaving the service). I think it's in the interests of maintaining the integrity of the show that the ending isn't overly sentimental. And I say that as a passionate fan of Harry and Ruth, so I'd definitely like to see them have some happy time before things go badly, as they may very well do.

Then again, as Peter Firth likes to talk about in every interview he does, "it's entertainment". So it's possible that Harry may have to leave the Service (maybe someone comes and blackmails him, like Juliet and Tessa tried to do) so he and Ruth leave as another crisis begins.....I really do like that idea.

femaleBertieWooster, I think that's how bertowud and I got started on all this Smile

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - femaleBertieWooster - 19-11-2009 11:47 PM

Don't call me out for being OT bertowud (let Nitrus smack us both) but I think most of their careers are foundering on rocky reefs at present so it may happen yet. There are some sour grapes because I think Jerry Seinfeld arranged things so that he got all the royalties from re-runs but I think they'd all have another go if they could get together some good ideas and give it time to take root.

Edit to add--JHyde, I loved all the characters in Seinfeld maybe because they were somewhat selfish and abrasive and would tell people where to get off whenever they felt like it.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - bertowud - 19-11-2009 11:52 PM

(19-11-2009 11:47 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  Don't call me out for being OT bertowud (let Nitrus smack us both) but I think most of their careers are foundering on rocky reefs at present so it may happen yet. There are some sour grapes because I think Jerry Seinfeld arranged things so that he got all the royalties from re-runs but I think they'd all have another go if they could get together some good ideas and give it time to take root.

It's Nitrus' week to be the Spoiler Police. I'm OT Police this week.

RE: If this is the last Series how will it end? - Nitrus - 19-11-2009 11:55 PM

Seriously, back on topic or I will start warning people.

This forum has the facility for new threads to be created, we have section specifically for non-Spooks discussion.

I beg of you to start new threads in there rather than hijack other threads.