Spooks Forum
Episode 4 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 4 Discussion (/thread-395.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - age1021 - 22-11-2009 09:22 PM

I can't get past that accent and that bedroom scene with Sarah and Lucas made me a little sick. there still isn't any chemistry there.....

anyway, I thought Ros was gonna take a hit from that girl ("hit" meaning to sample drugs). And when she said that she reminded her of somebody, I mean how does a strung out junkie remind you of Jo?

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - almh - 22-11-2009 09:26 PM

I didn't really get that bit either - how did she look similar? Maybe it was the innocence of the girl more than anything else...

The bedroom scene. How much fun was that watching it with my parents. Seriously, they don't need those scenes and it sure makes my viewing more enjoyable without them. And maybe there didn't need to be chemistry - for all we know Sarah could be a double agent, working for whatever that secretive group in Basel is. She could be using him...

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - age1021 - 22-11-2009 09:38 PM

(22-11-2009 09:26 PM)almh Wrote:  I didn't really get that bit either - how did she look similar? Maybe it was the innocence of the girl more than anything else...

The bedroom scene. How much fun was that watching it with my parents. Seriously, they don't need those scenes and it sure makes my viewing more enjoyable without them. And maybe there didn't need to be chemistry - for all we know Sarah could be a double agent, working for whatever that secretive group in Basel is. She could be using him...

I agree with you on the chemistry. I didn't think of it that way. Since she appears to have her own agenda, perhaps a spark isn't needed. Yes the bedroom scene didn't add anything to it...

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 22-11-2009 10:15 PM

(22-11-2009 08:45 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  
(22-11-2009 04:28 PM)JHyde Wrote:  In past episode discussions, I know that a lot of people weren't crazy about "back seat Ros". But the way she spoke to Lucas about Sarah in this episode made it very clear who's in charge of Section D. At least Lucas had made *her* aware of Sarah, if not Harry. Ros definitely seemed in control of operations in this episode.

Did Lucas make Ros aware of Sarah? Or did she sus it out, like the ongoing Adam/Anna thing?

I suspect you're right about that.

More and more I'm thinking that,
Spoiler: show
Oleg telling Lucas not to trust anyone may be pointing to the possibility that Harry did sell him out, even though Connie told him she did it. Agents are again and again saving Britain while having another agenda, something they think is a higher good than doing their job in MI 5.

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - LucasNorthFan - 22-11-2009 10:32 PM

Oh, how could I forget Ros. She had less onscreen time, but I liked her scenes and lines 'Loose Nancy Drew' Big Grin and loved that she was concerned about Lucas not only because of the operation but himself too.
Ros told Harry the SFB guy tried to get out a reaction from her and he answered 'poor bastard' Cool
She demostrated in this ep, she's in charge.

She feels awful about shooting Jo. Why is it that the girl (drug addict) reminded her of Jo? I thought at the moment because she was young, I've read some RA fans asking the same so is it that or is there something else that reminded her of Jo? You know her and Jo more than we do, so what do you think?

(22-11-2009 10:15 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  
(22-11-2009 08:45 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  
(22-11-2009 04:28 PM)JHyde Wrote:  In past episode discussions, I know that a lot of people weren't crazy about "back seat Ros". But the way she spoke to Lucas about Sarah in this episode made it very clear who's in charge of Section D. At least Lucas had made *her* aware of Sarah, if not Harry. Ros definitely seemed in control of operations in this episode.

Did Lucas make Ros aware of Sarah? Or did she sus it out, like the ongoing Adam/Anna thing?

I suspect you're right about that.

I think Ros figure it out. When she mentioned Sarah to Lucas he seemed 'surprised'.

LNF Smile

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - marc - 22-11-2009 11:03 PM

Well, I asked myself almost the same questions. And - I also felt sorry for Oleg. In a way I was almost disappointed that Lucas did handed him over. That there was some sort of feeling still. But, surely, true, he did not owe him, contrary so. I had to remind me of that, that he tortured him, so, handing him over to the FSB and not let him get away with a new identity and money was just what makes Lucas a pro. Still...
I read about the suicide attempt in earlier interviews and expected it to be more than just these tiny scenes. Shocking...not really.
Sarah, well, there is my general disappointment in the cast. Even though, now it's better with knowing her to be the evil one, I just don't feel any authenticity. Bad script or bad acting? I don't know, but as many pointed out, no spark. And no intensity. How different was it with Elizabeta!!!

(22-11-2009 02:46 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Does his mistake in trusting Sarah seem plausible, given his loneliness and exile in Russia? Did you find his flashback to attempted suicide shocking? (I found it harrowing, some of RA's best stuff on the show so far.) And I'd like to hear what people thought about Oleg, as I personally felt for him a little. Make no mistake, I think he was grotesque and did a lot of bad things, but there's a certain hypocrisy in handing him back to the FSB, which I still don't understand why they did. Why not keep him as an asset? It's not as though holding him with the FSB knowing they had him was problematic - after all, Lucas was held by the FSB and the British knew. That plot point didn't really make sense to me. The actor playing Oleg was pretty good there at the end. And was he selling the only thing in his gift by telling Lucas, even as he knew a last minute reprieve was not possible? A final gift to an honourable foe perhaps?

I ask too many questions.

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 23-11-2009 12:41 AM

I'm guessing that handing Oleg back was made at the highest levels, mainly Harry. I also suspect that he won't be treated badly and was just playing a role. Why was he in prison anyway? He did as he was told.

Also, wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas about what info Sarah wants from Lucas. Since the operation is called Nightingale, it has to have something to do with somebody singing, i.e. giving up info or ratting someone out.

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - JHyde - 23-11-2009 12:46 AM

They pick such wimpy names don't they? Nightingale, Sugarhorse.....

I'll say it again: I found that scene with Lucas and Christine to be eerily reminiscent of that one from 2.10 with Tom and Christine in the bath. (Different directors, I already checked.) I guess New Christine really is having some Old Adventures after all.

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - lwhite53 - 23-11-2009 01:02 AM

(23-11-2009 12:41 AM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  I'm guessing that handing Oleg back was made at the highest levels, mainly Harry. I also suspect that he won't be treated badly and was just playing a role. Why was he in prison anyway? He did as he was told.

Oleg wasn't in prison. The FSB want him back, supposedly, because he carried out a rogue operation and tried to place the blame on the Russians. Whether or not the operation was actually a Russian plan with Oleg playing a part is unknown, at this point.

I would imagine Harry made the decision to give Oleg back. No matter how great his value might have been as a potential double agent and for intel purposes, I don't see Harry letting him loose near Lucas again. Too dangerous for Lucas and the rest of them, I'd think.

RE: Episode 4 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 23-11-2009 03:06 AM

(23-11-2009 01:02 AM)lwhite53 Wrote:  
(23-11-2009 12:41 AM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  I'm guessing that handing Oleg back was made at the highest levels, mainly Harry. I also suspect that he won't be treated badly and was just playing a role. Why was he in prison anyway? He did as he was told.

Oleg wasn't in prison. The FSB want him back, supposedly, because he carried out a rogue operation and tried to place the blame on the Russians. Whether or not the operation was actually a Russian plan with Oleg playing a part is unknown, at this point.

I would imagine Harry made the decision to give Oleg back. No matter how great his value might have been as a potential double agent and for intel purposes, I don't see Harry letting him loose near Lucas again. Too dangerous for Lucas and the rest of them, I'd think.

I thought the video images they got with Oleg were from a fire in a prison from which he escaped. Harry returning Oleg might have something to do with his wanting to keep whatever operation he has going with the Russians (total speculation) hushed, not necessarily about Lucas' well being.

I'm going to watch it again tonight (covering my eyes at the bad parts Tongue ) since there's nothing on TV and I'm too tired to do anything else. Yes, it's still tonight here in the USA and yes I'm a prude. I'll watch for some of the things members have discussed here that I didn't pick up on the first time.