Spooks Forum
Episode 6 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 6 Discussion (/thread-435.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 21-12-2009 11:17 PM

Whe I saw her running away I was so excited - flat boots, baby, yeah! And then.....back to unreality.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - Violetsareblue - 22-12-2009 04:32 PM

Not sure if I'm putting this in right place - am new to this BUT did anyone notice the man getting into the taxi at the station when Ros was trying to get to Baisley - he was the spitting image of Adam but I was watching it on line and couldn't get a proper look.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - almh - 22-12-2009 04:51 PM

Hello Smile I don't think it was Adam - would have been nice if it was!

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - bertowud - 22-12-2009 04:55 PM

Maybe RPJ just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Tongue

That would be funny.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - grom_ko - 21-01-2010 12:08 AM

(10-12-2009 10:07 AM)JHyde Wrote:  To be fair, she was being sarcastic when she said that.

But yes, her accent is worrisome. I think it may even deserve its own thread, just so we don't get sidetracked here.

You are complaining about Sarah’s accent but what would you say if you could understand their Russian in series 7 Smile. For me the only way to understand it properly was to read English subtitles, which is ridiculous because it’s my native language. Or even better: they are saying something, but it has nothing to do with what is written in the subs. However it makes this show a real fun, I mean I laugh hysterically every time when they are saying something in Russian Smile So don’t worry, we all suffer in some way
This episode was better than the previous one. It is getting more and more intense, can’t wait to see what happens next

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - bertowud - 21-01-2010 02:03 PM

Welcome to the forum grom_ko.

You make a very good point.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - grom_ko - 21-01-2010 03:14 PM

Thank you

But like others here I couldn’t understand Sarah’s behaviour. Killing Lucas would be a consistent decision (not that I would approve it Smile), but running away? Hm-m-m

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - HellsBells - 21-01-2010 04:03 PM

She had to leave because she realized MI-5 knew about her involvement with Nightingale. She couldn't kill Lucas because she had fallen in love with him, and who can blame her !

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - Kyle Aaron - 21-01-2010 10:36 PM

(21-01-2010 03:14 PM)grom_ko Wrote:  But like others here I couldn’t understand Sarah’s behaviour. Killing Lucas would be a consistent decision (not that I would approve it Smile), but running away? Hm-m-m
I think it was quite consistent with the entire series so far, with its themes and (let's face it) repeated storylines.

I see it like this. We have two basic possibilities.

The first is that she simply holds some measure of affection for Lucas. It doesn't have to be true love - but when you have been physically intimate with someone, it's going to be more difficult to do nasty things to them. For example, lying to them.

We've had these themes with the MI-5 officers for seven seasons now. It began with Tom not telling his girlfriend his real name or that he was an officer. Do we say that Tom did not love her because he deceived her? Of course not. This is the recurring theme of all 8 seasons so far, the clash between the deceit and wary caution of the job and the honesty and straightforwardness required in a normal life.

If we can have this theme with the MI-5 officers, I don't see why we can't have it with a CIA officer.

The relative blankness of Sarah's face can thus be explained not as bad acting from the actress, but as the CIA officer's attempt to hold back her feelings. She is a restrained woman, she has to be. It's not like Ros' face is an open book, either, her most frequent expression is one of grim determination.

At the end Sarah breaks down a bit. When she's saying "Why didn't you just shoot?" she's in tears. If not some kind of affection for Lucas, and regret at the relationship now in tatters, why else the tears?

Remember that an officer of an intelligence agency can be a very lonely person. Only their workmates know what they do for a living, and usually only a few other officers will know all the details of their job. All those times in these stories when some boss says, "You tell no-one else of this," that throws up a barrier between the person and all their workmates.

This is why in these stories they have such madly passionate affairs with all the wrong kinds of people. They're people who are cut off from other people in normal honest relationships, they're searching for some kind of connection.

This theme was also brought up in the episode where Lucas meets his old torturer, and says something like, "for four years I yearned for the beatings because it was my only human contact." That's rather lonely. So the officers are going to have all sorts of crazy love affairs.

Contrast it with the times we've seen Ros's apartment. It's blank and empty. Nobody lives there. In the first season some of the younger officers flatted together and went out drinking together. But Ros has been an officer for decades - and her home is empty. This is what happens to them in these stories, the deceit and bad things they do cut them off from a normal life.

There's also a second possible reason Sarah didn't kill Lucas, which is simply that it'd be pointless. Let's assume she was telling the truth to him in the end. She's infiltrated Nightingale on behalf of the CIA. She killed her boss to protect her infiltration, her cover. When Lewis shows up, she says,

"He's after me - my cover must be blown."

If Nightingale has discovered she's an infiltrator and wants to kill her, the op is over for her. Done, kaput, gone. She might kill for the sake of the mission, but if the mission is over, what's the point?

This I think is also why she asked Lucas to kill Lewis, and afterwards said, "Why didn't you just do what I said? Why didn't you just... Why didn't you just shoot?" I think she was hoping that if an MI-5 officer killed Lewis, she would have some hope of running off and salvaging the mission, persuading her Nightingale contacts that was she on their side. But if she did the killing, that becomes difficult or impossible.

So even if she is a total sociopath with no human feeling whatsoever, there's no point in killing him, and like so many MI-5 officers in the 7 seasons before now, she runs - either to a life in hiding or in some wild attempt to salvage the mission.

It made every bit of sense to me Wink

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - grom_ko - 22-01-2010 01:12 AM

(21-01-2010 04:03 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  She couldn't kill Lucas because she had fallen in love with him, and who can blame her !

Not me Smile

Personally I was confused by the lack of emotions from her side during their «love» period. There where sings that Lucas maybe not loved but cared for her, while she was sort of… reserved. So the scenario "I can’t kill him, I love him” seemed a little bit strange to me. However it can be true that she simply couldn’t allow herself to express her feelings openly, after all they were from 2, well, opposing organizations