Spooks Forum
Episode 6 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 6 Discussion (/thread-435.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 06-12-2009 04:03 PM

Oh she absolutely tipped them off over the money! Didn't everyone just assume that?

I think in the last discussion thread we talked about how after filming, the producers and directors decided they needed more Harry/Ruth time so they filmed more with them. I had the feeling the little drink episode was one of those and Tariq interrupted them because he was in the shot following. It was probably just a tag on shot in the original office scene.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - almh - 06-12-2009 04:06 PM

That would make sense... When did the producers say we needed more HR scenes? Not that I'm complaining of course Tongue

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - Silktie - 06-12-2009 04:09 PM

Once again the writers are eerily close to real life with this storyline - have just read an article about the financial collapse of Dubai, and the fact that most of the debt that they can't pay back is owed to UK banks. So the country might well face serious financial problems in the near future...

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 06-12-2009 04:15 PM

I'm sure it happened in Mexico too sometime in the last decade (and no, not just on the West Wing!). Countries that are especially susceptible are places like India or Mexico or the Czech Republic, that aren't strictly classified as third world, but still developing. Mainly due to the huge amounts of money borrowed in building their economies, and the fluidity of the money invested in them by foreign markets.

Which was why I enjoyed that storyline being roped into the episode where Nightingale was moving money around quickly and easily. And of course, how they managed to actually uncover the name of the damn group. The money trail has actually been the main part of how they've locked onto the group in the first place.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 06-12-2009 06:09 PM

(06-12-2009 05:55 AM)Maggie Wrote:  Can't fathom writers' agenda on Lucas. Tom or Adam would not put up with Sarah the way Lucas does. I mean a huge MI5 agent like Lucas can't be made to look like a lovesick puppy. Might as well have H Grant play Lucas and things will be in sync.

Just as I was chuckling over your Shakespeare comment, you have to go picking on Hugh Grant. Stop that! Actually, it's a pretty good idea. I'd love to see Hugh do an episode. He has the time.

Also, pretending for a moment that the Lucas-Sarah relationship was portrayed well enough as love, Tom and Adam both made seriously bad relationship decisions. They both ran the risk of giving away secrets and almost got themselves killed. Christine 1.0 wasn't up to par showing her love of Tom either. As with Christine 2.0 we only had her words as evidence.

Even though we may not have trusted Anna, you could see her interest in Adam. Remember their meeting at the bookshop where she was pretending to look through books and smiled, actually started glowing when Adam arrived. That actress was convincing.

Quote:On the other hand, kudos to writers on relevance of next 2 eps. with India and Pakistan presently taking centre stage in internat'l politics.

I really do like the plots now that they have moved away from stopping suicide bombers. Some episode don't even have bombs at all. Thud

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - lwhite53 - 06-12-2009 07:46 PM

(06-12-2009 04:15 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Which was why I enjoyed that storyline being roped into the episode where Nightingale was moving money around quickly and easily. And of course, how they managed to actually uncover the name of the damn group. The money trail has actually been the main part of how they've locked onto the group in the first place.

The old cop show adage, "follow the money" -- works every time.
(06-12-2009 04:03 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Oh she absolutely tipped them off over the money! Didn't everyone just assume that?

Yes. And now we have to assume that everything Lucas told Sarah re what MI5 knows about the CIA and Nightingale has been passed on to the group.
(06-12-2009 11:33 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I loved watching Ros in that torture scene. Setting it up while she bluffed her way into being the torturer who'd do anything after Jo died.....although we can't actually be sure it was a bluff. But it was such a appropriate way to go after someone like him and the method was so Ros. She was choking him via remote! Very Ros, really great episode for her.

I don't know about her bluffing -- I think she might have "accidently" killed him had he not given her the info she wanted. She did have a somewhat mad gleam in her eye.Tongue
(06-12-2009 10:25 AM)almh Wrote:  And I really don't think that there's anything Ruth doesn't know...

Agreed.Big Grin

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 06-12-2009 08:02 PM

That was more my point. That with Ros, as with Harry sometimes, it's very hard to tell when their spin is real and vice versa. I do think it was very effective letting that guy know she was a bit off balance. Hilarious and tragic at the same time. I really think she might have done him in, you know.

I always find it funny when Ruth interprets technospeak though, because NW can't type at all, they used to bring in hand-doubles apparently. I notice they're avoiding that for her this season.

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - almh - 06-12-2009 08:06 PM

They said that on one of the commentaries didn't they? I really don't understand how someone can't type... Although I suppose if people aren't constantly on the computer...

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - Tea Lady - 06-12-2009 08:52 PM

Heck, after 77 entries on this thread already, what can I write that has already not been written. Ok, great episode. I loved the fact that you could laugh all through this episode. There hasnt been much humour in the last 5 episodes. Harry had great lines. Very sad about the HS. Ros was great and loved getting into her mind more. Lucas is coming over as a wet fish. Of course that wasnt a gun shot, it was the door closing....you guys!

Agree about the make-up comments. Sometimes Harry looks so pale, it looks like he hasnt slept for a week. Other scenes he is tanned and looking quite good. I wonder whether these scenes were filmed at different times over several months? Also Harry needs some new shirts. He clearly has a too small collar size on his shirts. I have also noticed that apart from episode 1, we havnt had an open white shirt collar scene.

When Ruth asked Harry out perhaps she just meant to the basement cafe in Thames house? Harry jumped up a bit quick after he composed himself dont you think? Didnt he have to nip to the loo, brush his hair, touch up his pink lips, or something? If my favourite girl asked me out (and I was male of course) I would be in the loo for hours sorting myself out....

NICE ONE RUTHY BABES Heart

RE: Episode 6 Discussion - lwhite53 - 06-12-2009 09:00 PM

(06-12-2009 08:52 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  NICE ONE RUTHY BABES Heart

LMAO!!!!