Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Aria - 23-05-2010 10:22 PM

(23-05-2010 08:21 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I was thinking that Ruth seemed to struggle in 3.9 with her conscience as to whether to bring Harry the information about Morgan's daughter. I have to say that I think series 8 Ruth, would have hidden that information, and would not have disclosed it. Anyone agree?

I don't think that would be the case, TL. Season 8 Ruth would have agonised over the information like in 3.9 but would have disclosed the info in the end as it may make all the difference between success and failure.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lwhite53 - 23-05-2010 10:43 PM

I understand your point Tea Lady, but I too think she would have given him the info, even in s8. When Ruth made the decision to return to the grid after Geroge's death, she knew what she was agreeing to, even more so than she did when she was first transferred from GCHQ. She's not naive anymore about what MI5 does and she would have had to reconcile herself to that before going back to work there.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 24-05-2010 05:35 AM

It's a tough one, Tea Lady. But I think based on episode 8.7, she would have given Harry the information. In 8.7 she was not at all happy that they were using the 17 year old and was keeping him in his dangerous position as informer, but agreed with Harry that the danger of an imminent attack necessitated this. It's the same situation in 3.9, the only difference being that this little girl is much more defenceless and ill to boot. I also think she knows that while Harry would threaten harm to the little girl to get the father to cooperate, he would never actually do anything to her.

What's interesting to me in 3.9 is that Ruth doesn't seem to have a huge problem with their initial torture of Morgan, for instance when she is explaining the use of the siren to Sam. It is only the use of the daughter that she finds difficult to cope with.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 24-05-2010 06:10 AM

I'm with the consensus on this one too. Ruth knew what she was giving Harry in 3.9, abhorrent though it was. And she knew she had to do the same in 8.7, although she has a similar crisis of conscience.

Ruth doesn't shy away from the ugly stuff her job requires her to do. She usually has a pretty good idea of how it will bes used.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 24-05-2010 07:06 PM

(24-05-2010 06:10 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I'm with the consensus on this one too. Ruth knew what she was giving Harry in 3.9, abhorrent though it was.

It also shows her trust in Harry to not misuse the info on the daughter in the end.

Just ruminating on the idea that in 2.7 (Cleanskin) Ruth is somewhat more cavalier about the use of the 14 year old JJ in an op. With only the, "Well, if that isn't illegal, its very, very naughty" line to indicate her position on the idea. All the way to 3.9 where she questions Harry about where the line is and, according to him, very nearly doesn't give him the info about the daughter. She's changed....

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 24-05-2010 07:12 PM

I think it's also because Ruth's role in the show has changed.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 06-06-2010 03:16 PM

I absolutely loved Ruth in 3.10, 4.1 & 4.2. In my opinion these episodes truly establish the Ruth character as one of the main characters of the show. It showcases the inner strength of the character as well, as we see when Danny is killed. Whilst Sam had to be sedated, Ruth soldiered on and got the job done. Then, in 4.1 she shows a bit of sass when all her colleagues walk out of the funeral, she stays put and refuses to leave because she wants to give Danny a proper goodbye. It is only when Harry comes back for her and tells her he needs her, that she agrees to leave.

With the professor, she shows an ability to read the person and the situation well, and let him feel superior to lull him into giving her the information she needed. Once she had the information, she didn't waste any time putting him firmly in his place and pointing out the things that were wrong with his twisted arguments.

Fantastic stuff.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lwhite53 - 06-06-2010 05:07 PM

(06-06-2010 03:16 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I absolutely loved Ruth in 3.10, 4.1 & 4.2. In my opinion these episodes truly establish the Ruth character as one of the main characters of the show.

Interestingly, Ben Richards wrote all three. I agree that she really came into her own in these eps and I suspect that it was Richards who realized the character's potential and ran with it, giving us the Ruth we know today.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 07-06-2010 01:38 AM

I'll go along with all of that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said it elsewhere but given how much I post, it's easy to forget.

No seriously, I totally agree. I also really sympathise with Ruth's dilemma with the Professor. I might work in a different job and I might not be as brainy as Ruth, but by God, I know how useful that can be and how ghastly it can make you feel at the same time.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 20-09-2010 10:52 PM

Only our Ruth, could be carrying around a great big bloody file at a funeral. Come on girl, get a life. I really laughed when she dragged that out of her handbag.