Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 23-09-2010 09:26 AM

I can really do without another "someone is a traitor" story. If they do make Ruth one, they're going to have to sell her reasons for doing so bloody well to make it believable. This is a character we know pretty well, because she's been on the show so long, and we've gotten a bit of background and character insight to her by now.

That said, I don't put it past the powers that be to take this route. Sigh. Now I'm really worried.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Naivety - 23-09-2010 09:32 AM

(23-09-2010 08:36 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Heavens above!! When did Ruth get a chance to become a double agent? Do we think she went to China or somewhere, before finding herself in Cyprus?

No one ever said she went straight to Cyprus. Didn't PF or someone say in an interview, that the traitor would be the last person you would ever think of. I keep hoping that what he meant was the old HS and we've already moved on from that storyline. But....

(23-09-2010 08:36 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I think I need to go and get another cup of tea this morning.

Don't go too far, this is fun!Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 23-09-2010 09:34 AM

Yeah, I think they're past the point of no return with Ruth. It would be really hard to sell a traitor storyline with her.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lwhite53 - 23-09-2010 03:41 PM

(23-09-2010 07:50 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I'd just like to point out that yes, maybe Ruth has decided against family, marriage, rah rah rah - is that really something we're going to curse her out for? After everything she's been through? Or indeed, if she hadn't, it would still be her choice.

I applaud her for saying that what she thinks she'd have with Harry is not enough. Better that she doesn't dive into a marriage she doesn't completely want.

She has every right to not accept Harry's proposal and I'd never say otherwise. My issue was I didn't find her explanation particularly insightful and I couldn't, for the life of me, recincile what she was saying with the character I thought I knew. It's the inconsistency that's tripping me up.

However, now that some of you have posited some kind of "double agent" or "double bluff" scenario, her "timing" comment at the beginning of the ep may be double-edged and have meant a lot more than was initially supposed.

________________________________________________________________________________​_______________________________
Edit: Just had another thought (yeah, I know, that can be dangerous). Is it possible that Ruth and the new HS both referring to "timing" is meant to connect those characters somehow, like she's doing some clandestine work directly for him without H knowing about it?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 23-09-2010 08:12 PM

(23-09-2010 03:41 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  However, now that some of you have posited some kind of "double agent" or "double bluff" scenario, her "timing" comment at the beginning of the ep may be double-edged and have meant a lot more than was initially supposed.

________________________________________________________________________________​_______________________________
Edit: Just had another thought (yeah, I know, that can be dangerous). Is it possible that Ruth and the new HS both referring to "timing" is meant to connect those characters somehow, like she's doing some clandestine work directly for him without H knowing about it?

Very dangerous! The one thing that most seem to be able to agree on is that Ruth is somehow "different." It seems to me that it would be a damn shame if they wasted NW talents on being just the love story for Harry.

You know what they say: It ain't over 'til the dogged brilliant bitch sings! Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 23-09-2010 09:54 PM

(23-09-2010 03:41 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Edit: Just had another thought (yeah, I know, that can be dangerous). Is it possible that Ruth and the new HS both referring to "timing" is meant to connect those characters somehow, like she's doing some clandestine work directly for him without H knowing about it?

I see what you are saying lwhite53 but that would have meant either Ruth telling the HS about H's proposal, or someone was listening in to Harry's marriage proposal. The HS then chose his words carefully to try and get into Harry's mind. You could then apply that theory to the conversation Harry had with Ruth in his office when he said he wanted to feel clean. Beth then appeared using the same words. Again, Ruth told Beth to use those words to get in the section, or someone was listening in to Harry's words? This would be one big conspiracy. That's not to say it isn't a good conspiracy for H's benefit in the long run. My honest opinion is though, it is quite unlikely and was just a bit of clever writing.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 24-09-2010 09:42 AM

Really? I'd say Ruth backing away from something that might be real with Harry is EXACTLY in character for her. Based on season 5, anyway.

I agree, as I said elsewhere, that it IS a little annoying that in season 8's latter half that she was making moves on Harry. That does bother me.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Beatriz - 24-09-2010 10:35 AM

I'm guessing she wants to be closer to Harry, she's aware she loves him and she wanted to show him a bit of that love; but she's not ready yet, not for a relationship... Maybe she needs more time now to move forward to a new relationship, I think she still feels guilty...

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - molecatcher - 24-09-2010 01:58 PM

Well at least if Ruth is a double agent she'll get to feel those leather gloved hands caressing her neck before she dies!! Just kidding, as I really can't see any justification for her turning and actually wouldn't be surprised if in fact she and Harry get thrown together by an event some time soon whether she wants it or not. No one can remain that sexually repressed with Harry around.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Aria - 24-09-2010 05:46 PM

(24-09-2010 01:58 PM)molecatcher Wrote:  No one can remain that sexually repressed with Harry around.

She's managed to last 5 years without succumbing unfortunately Sad