Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 05-10-2010 12:50 PM

Now that we've had a couple more episodes, I have to say that I don't get the vibe that Ruth is hiding something big and that's why she's keeping Harry at arm's length. I think JHyde has probably nailed it, and that what we've seen from Ruth this season is trying to fill the void left by Ros' death and Harry's crisis of conscience.

I just think it will stretch credulity way beyond breaking point if we have this whole "Lucas has a secret" thread running through it, only to find out later that not only does Lucas have one, but apparently so does Ruth. I mean, seriously, not everybody working in section D has to be a traitor in some form or other. It's just unbelievable.

I'll just go back to my eternal optimist corner I'm sharing with TL now. Cool

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 05-10-2010 02:07 PM

(05-10-2010 12:50 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I'll just go back to my eternal optimist corner I'm sharing with TL now. Cool

Pretty lonely in this corner Silktie. I have biscuits though. Wink

I think you have a point there Silktie. We can't have two further people, not being who we thought they were. It would just be too much! Yes, Ruth is trying to fill the void and is doing it very well. The Grid would be in turmoil without her, especially while Beth and Dimitri find their feet. I still though, only occasionally, find her knowing everything there is to know about everything, a bit annoying. I think Kudos have pretty much listened to our concerns about Series 8, and I think the only thing missing on my wish list was for Ruth to get something wrong once, and mess up.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lwhite53 - 05-10-2010 07:22 PM

(05-10-2010 10:32 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I am sorry she told the HS what he wanted to know, but she was presumably asked a direct question by her boss of all bosses. I can't entirely blame her.

My question might be, "How in the world did the HS know who Ruth was and why would he approach her directly?" There has got to be at least 2-3 levels of administration between them (maybe more) so how did he get specifically to her?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - almh - 05-10-2010 07:25 PM

(05-10-2010 07:22 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  
(05-10-2010 10:32 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I am sorry she told the HS what he wanted to know, but she was presumably asked a direct question by her boss of all bosses. I can't entirely blame her.

My question might be, "How in the world did the HS know who Ruth was and why would he approach her directly?" There has got to be at least 2-3 levels of administration between them (maybe more) so how did he get specifically to her?

Well, Harry did say her name on the phone to the HS. Surely there can't be that many Ruth Eversheds in the Spooks phonebook - perhaps he just called a general number for Section D, and asked to speak to Ruth? Or maybe they do actually have a yellow pages for serving MI5 employees Wink

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Beatriz - 05-10-2010 07:35 PM

(05-10-2010 02:07 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(05-10-2010 12:50 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I'll just go back to my eternal optimist corner I'm sharing with TL now. Cool
Pretty lonely in this corner Silktie. I have biscuits though. Wink

Would you share that little corner with me, please? Wink

I must say that I like the new Ruth, she's more confident and strong. And I didn't like her going behind Harry's back, but I guess this tells us that she isn't blinded by her feelings.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 06-10-2010 01:15 PM

(05-10-2010 07:35 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I must say that I like the new Ruth, she's more confident and strong. And I didn't like her going behind Harry's back, but I guess this tells us that she isn't blinded by her feelings.

After reading NWs comments to Ian Wylie re: Ruth's distaste of things dishonest, I think her consulting with the HS is almost more indicative of the HS's character as it is of hers. I don't think that she did anything out of character. She's the Russian consultant, the HS asked and she answered - honestly. That is what she does. Yeah, in the real world there should be more levels of admin in between them, but in the world they have set up, that isn't that case: Harry is Ruth's boss and the HS is (seemingly) Harry's boss. If my bosses boss comes to me with a question, I answer it. I don't wait to vet it with my boss. I wonder if the HS is trying to divide and conquer the Dynamic Duo of Section D?

I am also beginning to question whether or not I am correct in thinking that Ruth has any other alterior motives. Clearly she finds Harry's indecision and self pity distasteful. It is that distaste that is making her yap at his heels all the time. She is playing out one of the major themes of S9 - the effect the job has on their personal lives. I think Ruth is taking a very interesting journey this series.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xxgaylexx - 07-10-2010 01:05 PM

im looking forward to seeing how they progress from this. i think harry has started to realise that life is too short especially since they have had so long to get together and they are wasting time now as they are both obviously in love with each other. i think that maybe ruth was right in that they are already so close but to be fair to harry he wasnt asking her to live with him and that, they could stay where they are and still get together....although this wasn't ideal for the carters

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - watchstrap - 07-10-2010 01:26 PM

Yep, totally agree. Remember, Harry has been in the service for over 30 years and Ruth has only been there for less than 8. Ruth has passed through the new and enthusiastic (and NAIVE!) stage of life and has now experienced the real crappy stuff. She's decided to put up barriers so that things can't hurt her. She's in a place that Harry was at years back. He however has realised that it time to 'enjoy yourself, it's later than you thiink'. They are out of sync this series and I find that really interesting. Ruth said she would have said yes a thousand times (or whatever), but it would have never worked out with the old Ruth. She can only move forward with Harry if she can come to the same realisation as him. Hope this makes sense.

Goes off to search for David Gray album with the perfect song to describe this!]

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xxgaylexx - 07-10-2010 01:55 PM

ahh david gray is sooo compatible with RH Smile
i should think any of them will fit with the situation. i am so excited to see future RH scenes, i love the way they bounce off each other

....not literally sadly haha!

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 07-10-2010 05:00 PM

Guys, please keep discussion on this thread focussed on Ruth. If your post is purely about the HR relationship, please post it in the HR thread.