Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 16-10-2010 04:09 AM

This was the only thread I didn't post my 'gazelle' theory on.

I immediately thought of Song of Songs and the verse 'Love comes leaping...like a gazelle'. I have sung at too many weddings in my life. I thought it was reference to Ruth and her presence barging onto the Grid and into everyone's lives.

But I am loving everyone's theories.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 16-10-2010 01:21 PM

(15-10-2010 07:37 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  From the British Army website:

"The primary role of Gazelle is observation and reconnaissance.

The Gazelle was first produced in 1968 under an Anglo-French agreement between Westlands and Aerospatiale. The Gazelle fondly referred to as the "whistling chicken leg" has proved an incredibly reliable observation and reconnaissance helicopter for many years. Although having only one engine it is not as powerful as many others, but its lightweight chassis offsets any deficit it might have. Advantages include its small agile nature, and its unparalleled visibility from the cockpit."

I don't know much about music or Arabic literature, but I do know my military helicopters. Sounds like Ruth to me.

Wink
Are you equating Ruth to a chicken leg!?! You really do need more cake - and quickly! Big Grin As long as she is whistling Lilliburlero, I guess it's OK. Wink

Seriously, though, I just found the poetry thing during a quick Google search. I know nothing about Arabic love poetry or military helicopters.

(16-10-2010 04:09 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I immediately thought of Song of Songs and the verse 'Love comes leaping...like a gazelle'. I have sung at too many weddings in my life. I thought it was reference to Ruth and her presence barging onto the Grid and into everyone's lives.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hebrew and Arabic poetry have pretty close connections at their basis.

So here's my theory: Harry gave her the codename for the helicopter, but Ruth would certainly know the poetic reference. She would also know that Harry might not get the poetic reference, if everyone's reaction to Amphitrite is anything to go by. Or would he? Different thread....

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 25-10-2010 10:21 PM

Series 9.7 trailer Spoiler: show
Oh Ruth. Was it just me or did anyone else think that Ruth's hair looked very wet when that bloke was fighting with her? I just hope he doesn't try and drown her, I really won't be able to cope. I am slightly consoled though, that even though Harry looked very concerned when he rushed into the flat, he didn't look deverstated when he was obviously staring at Ruth a moment later. This episode is going to be a tough one for Ruth fans.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 27-10-2010 03:34 PM

Does anyone think Ruth was right to bug Lucas' terminal and conduct surveillance on his movements? I just wonder whether Ruth would have done the same thing if it was Ros or Adam. Would Harry really have ignored Ruth's concerns if she had gone to him earlier? Even if he had initially, it would have sown the seed of doubt surely, that would have spread. I just wonder if Harry is concerned that Ruth is getting ideas above her station but is struggling to tell her. Lucas is her Section Chief after all. Ruth seems to think and act like she is Harry's No.2 now.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 27-10-2010 04:25 PM

(27-10-2010 03:34 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Does anyone think Ruth was right to bug Lucas' terminal and conduct surveillance on his movements? I just wonder whether Ruth would have done the same thing if it was Ros or Adam. Would Harry really have ignored Ruth's concerns if she had gone to him earlier? Even if he had initially, it would have sown the seed of doubt surely, that would have spread. I just wonder if Harry is concerned that Ruth is getting ideas above her station but is struggling to tell her. Lucas is her Section Chief after all. Ruth seems to think and act like she is Harry's No.2 now.

Yeah, I have struggled with this one. On the one hand, every time Ruth has gone to Harry with a hunch, he has side-lined her until she can present proof. So she has no reason to believe that he won't do the same thing again esp. as it involves Lucas. On the other hand, it seems kind of dishonest for Ruth to go behind Harry's back much less Lucas'. Dishonesty isn't supposed to be her thing. She didn't face that in the open, did she?

Just thinking aloud, I don't think she necessarily has it out for Lucas. The words she used was "He's in trouble." Not lying, not betraying. Which implies concern. If the Section Chief is in trouble, they are all in trouble.

I have seen the Lucas/Ruth dynamic on the grid more as a parallel interaction: she's analysis, he's action. And as a senior officer not only in name but also in actual time on the job, she has an experience level that Dimitri, Beth and Tariq don't have. If she has been taking a No.2 position, Harry let her do it.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 27-10-2010 04:53 PM

I also think Ruth wanted more proof for herself before she went to Harry. She wanted to be sure that something is really wrong before unjustly accusing Lucas of something to Harry.

She has taken on a more leading role this season, but my feeling is that she is doing this to compensate for Harry being less certain in his role. If Harry was really on the ball, it is probably fair to say that he might have noticed that something was going on with Lucas, but he is struggling with his own demons, so hasn't noticed. Ruth, to me, is trying to fill that gap. Does she have a right to do so according to the Grid's hierarchy? Probably not. But is she right to do so if she suspects a senior colleague is involved in something bad - absolutely.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 27-10-2010 07:00 PM

I think it is a structural choice as well. Ruth, along with Harry and Lucas create a little trioka of the theme of living with the choices one makes without losing the "self." The others have flirted with that theme, but these three epitomize it, in their own distinct ways. All of them have had the same crisis but it is panning out differently for all of them. We are used to Harry being in the spotlight. S9 is very much about Lucas. Thus we notice Ruth more being brought to the fore front.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 29-10-2010 10:39 AM

I know Ruth's had some scrubby moments dress wise this season but I thought she looked lovely in episode 6. As well as being typically brilliant.

I think a lot of Ruth's wanting evidence on Lucas is partly her wish that it isn't so, it's as much to prove to HERSELF that Lucas isn't going wrong. But it's also because, as others have said, that she is an analyst. It's how she does things.

I find myself wishing even more that a better rapport between Ruth and Lucas had been built in season 8 to better pay off what is currently happening.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 29-10-2010 01:24 PM

(29-10-2010 10:39 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I know Ruth's had some scrubby moments dress wise this season but I thought she looked lovely in episode 6. As well as being typically brilliant.

I think a lot of Ruth's wanting evidence on Lucas is partly her wish that it isn't so, it's as much to prove to HERSELF that Lucas isn't going wrong. But it's also because, as others have said, that she is an analyst. It's how she does things.

I find myself wishing even more that a better rapport between Ruth and Lucas had been built in season 8 to better pay off what is currently happening.

I think overall she has been looking lovely. The hair and makeup departments, particularly, have been doing a very nice job with her this series. Her costuming has been very muted and maybe a bit frump-alicious. Intentionally so, IMO. Like she's trying to hide. Even on the grid.

Even though she and Lucas have not developed a personal bond, I think there is a deliberate parallel developing between Ruth and Lucas. They have both had two lives. Literally. She is developing a nice bond with Dimitri, Tariq and Beth though.

I have been thinking about the moment in 9.6 when she bursts into the meeting room just after Harry insists to Beecher that Tariq stay on the grid. Her response to Harry's point-blank asking how Tariq is seems hesitant. Clearly she can't answer him directly, but I would think that she'd be able to improvise a bit better than she did in that moment? Esp. because she improvises so well after Towers shuffles Beecher out. She just seemed a bit squirrelly in 9.6.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Naivety - 29-10-2010 07:14 PM

(29-10-2010 01:24 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I have been thinking about the moment in 9.6 when she bursts into the meeting room just after Harry insists to Beecher that Tariq stay on the grid. Her response to Harry's point-blank asking how Tariq is seems hesitant. Clearly she can't answer him directly, but I would think that she'd be able to improvise a bit better than she did in that moment? Esp. because she improvises so well after Towers shuffles Beecher out. She just seemed a bit squirrelly in 9.6.

I thought that her hesitation over the question about Tariq was a very clever way of prompting Harry to get rid of Towers and Beecher as fast as possible. It was her facial expression that Harry was reading, not her words. She couldn't say everything was fine because that would have prolonged the meeting, and she certainly wouldn't have wanted to let on that the grid was being compromised. Because they know each other so well they were able to communicate without actually saying anything.