Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 10-11-2010 04:20 PM

No, I think the tears were mostly for Lucas. Even if Harry didn't have comms, he did have a mobile, and would have let the Grid know of Lucas' fate. I thought the whole idea with showing all of the Grid members was to show them mourning for Lucas.

I do think there was some other elements in Ruth's tears, though. She'd just been through a terrible ordeal, plus she thought the man she loved was probably going to be killed. So while the tears were mostly for Lucas, I think there was also a bit of relief that Harry didn't die, and for the whole mess that is her relationship with Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 10-11-2010 04:26 PM

(10-11-2010 04:20 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I do think there was some other elements in Ruth's tears, though. She'd just been through a terrible ordeal, plus she thought the man she loved was probably going to be killed. So while the tears were mostly for Lucas, I think there was also a bit of relief that Harry didn't die, and for the whole mess that is her relationship with Harry.

To this I would add that I think the parallels between her and Lucas were brought into stark focus for her when Lucas asks her if there was a time she would go back to where everything made sense and tells her that they are the same. They have been going through something very similar - how easy would it be for her to go off the deep end too?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 10-11-2010 06:06 PM

(10-11-2010 04:26 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(10-11-2010 04:20 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I do think there was some other elements in Ruth's tears, though. She'd just been through a terrible ordeal, plus she thought the man she loved was probably going to be killed. So while the tears were mostly for Lucas, I think there was also a bit of relief that Harry didn't die, and for the whole mess that is her relationship with Harry.

To this I would add that I think the parallels between her and Lucas were brought into stark focus for her when Lucas asks her if there was a time she would go back to where everything made sense and tells her that they are the same. They have been going through something very similar - how easy would it be for her to go off the deep end too?

Ah! Don't scare me! Sad

I do think she could easily go off the deep end... however Ruth has so much of a bearing in regards to her morals that it would take a bloody big push at the wrong moment for her to flip. However i seriously doubt that this will happen though.

As for the tears thing i think we'll all have to agree to disagree. Tongue
I think everyone has their own opinion on that one.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lottanyman - 10-11-2010 06:22 PM

(10-11-2010 04:26 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  To this I would add that I think the parallels between her and Lucas were brought into stark focus for her when Lucas asks her if there was a time she would go back to where everything made sense and tells her that they are the same. They have been going through something very similar - how easy would it be for her to go off the deep end too?

When Lucas said this I was asking myself which time Ruth then would be thinking about, would she rather go back to a time when everything was still in order with Harry and she would have the possibility to have a life with him or go back to a time when everything made sense for her with George and Nico?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - lwhite53 - 10-11-2010 06:34 PM

(10-11-2010 06:22 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  
(10-11-2010 04:26 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  To this I would add that I think the parallels between her and Lucas were brought into stark focus for her when Lucas asks her if there was a time she would go back to where everything made sense and tells her that they are the same. They have been going through something very similar - how easy would it be for her to go off the deep end too?

When Lucas said this I was asking myself which time Ruth then would be thinking about, would she rather go back to a time when everything was still in order with Harry and she would have the possibility to have a life with him or go back to a time when everything made sense for her with George and Nico?

I think that's exactly her dilemma, and she has to make a decision about which is really more valuable and real for her.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 10-11-2010 08:44 PM

I think Ruth has already gone off the deep end in her own way. I just think that she now has to make a decision about whether she wants to stay there or climb out. People have tried to help her do that, but until now she hasn't accepted that help.

I don't think they were listening in to comms. I assumed Harry had phoned them after or a police report had come through on the radio. I think the reaction at the end by Ruth was for Lucas in the main but also relief that Harry didnt die and regret that she let him go to the meeting after having words

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 10-11-2010 11:33 PM

(10-11-2010 08:44 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I think Ruth has already gone off the deep end in her own way. I just think that she now has to make a decision about whether she wants to stay there or climb out. People have tried to help her do that, but until now she hasn't accepted that help.

You do have a point here - as you current kick ass avatar attests! Big Grin

I think this series placed Ruth and Lucas along side each other for a compare and contrast situation. However, she certainly does not go to the same extent as Lucas. What do you all think keeps her from, oh say, jumping off a building?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - HellsBells - 11-11-2010 02:37 PM

(10-11-2010 11:33 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  What do you all think keeps her from, oh say, jumping off a building?

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I don't think Ruth is as passionate or as impulsive as Lucas. Lucas would do (and indeed did) anything for love without thinking. Ruth on the hand thinks way too much, and I think that is hindering her in her journey to happiness.
If Ruth was half as passionate as Lucas, Harry and Ruth would be together.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 11-11-2010 04:52 PM

(10-11-2010 11:33 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I think this series placed Ruth and Lucas along side each other for a compare and contrast situation. However, she certainly does not go to the same extent as Lucas. What do you all think keeps her from, oh say, jumping off a building?

She won't do it because she has the same sense of duty as Harry does. She will soldier on to make sense of the sacrifices and deaths of the people who has served with her, and to continue to pay her penance for George's death. She probably feels she owes it to them to continue on, no matter how miserable her life may be. To end her life herself would make a mockery of their sacrifices.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 11-11-2010 07:05 PM

I agree with both of you. She obviously wants to live.

I agree that she thinks too much and that's why she hasn't put heart over head in terms of Harry... she doesn't know how. (She's been doing this for most of her life though so it's not surprising).

I do wish she'd allow herself to be happy though. Even though i agree that maybe she's continuing on because of all those she knew who died, i think they'd want her to be happy and not wallow in it.