Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 12-11-2010 02:31 AM

I thought it very interesting that she used the word unethical (as in planting the bug on Lucas was unethical of her) because it implies that she is at heart a very ethical person. She is of course. She has a very strong sense of right and wrong. She conforms to the expected standards of conduct perhaps a bit too stringently?

By contrast, Lucas is strongly based in the aesthetic.

Not that the writers have thought about it as hard as I do. Blush

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - harrbd - 12-11-2010 10:54 AM

Perahps because NW is such a brilliant actress that is why she gets all the emotional stuff to deal with ! I think she will be too consumed with guilt in the early parts of 10 to be with Harry. (Guilt for making him stay on when he had had enough, guilt for blaming him for George and her step son, guilt for not loving him as he loves her, guilt for not being with him when she had a chance in the early years, guilt for letting him go to Lucas without a kind word etc etc.) Not sure if Ruth will be able to overcome this or whether she will just become very hard and unemotional. We need some humour between her and Harry to show Ruth that she can move forward.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - HellsBells - 12-11-2010 02:41 PM

Ruth seems so confused right now. Does she want Harry or not? If the answer is no why not move on, get a job in a different department? I hope with series 10 they give her some direction.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 12-11-2010 05:13 PM

(12-11-2010 02:41 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  Ruth seems so confused right now. Does she want Harry or not? If the answer is no why not move on, get a job in a different department? I hope with series 10 they give her some direction.

I really hope that is the end of the whole George/Nico thing and I hope it doesn't come back again in the story. I think we have visited that enough now and so has Ruth! Recent events must have given Ruth a good kick up the backside, surely? Harry will need her now. She can't ignore what he did for her, no matter how much it irked her at the time.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 12-11-2010 07:18 PM

For some reason I'm envisioning her going on a crusade to save Harry's career - digging up dirt on all the Inquest members and threatening them to let him off, lol. We all know she can find all information ever, so it is well within her capabilities.

Of course, the chances of this happening is probably really slim, but how cool would it be to see her do it? I can just see our Ruthie lurking in the shadows, popping out to tell some stuffed shirt she has photos of him boffing the nanny which she'll give to the papers if he doesn't let Harry off. Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - loladom - 12-11-2010 08:59 PM

(12-11-2010 07:18 PM)Silktie Wrote:  For some reason I'm envisioning her going on a crusade to save Harry's career - digging up dirt on all the Inquest members and threatening them to let him off, lol. We all know she can find all information ever, so it is well within her capabilities.

Of course, the chances of this happening is probably really slim, but how cool would it be to see her do it? I can just see our Ruthie lurking in the shadows, popping out to tell some stuffed shirt she has photos of him boffing the nanny which she'll give to the papers if he doesn't let Harry off. Big Grin

Yes, that would be my wish for S10 too. I think she needs to prove to herself she is worth his love and he needs to feel she has his back, despite what words she says, her actions will show him.

I want Ruth to be less angsty and return to being the dogged brilliant bitch.....only this time, she can feel less awestruck and more equal to the fabulous but flawed Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 13-11-2010 07:16 AM

So is Ruth a hypocrite?

She chastises Harry for choosing to save her and thus endangering thousands of others by giving Albany to Lucas. But how is that different from what she did in 8.1, when she immediately gave up what she thought was the location of the uranium to save George and Nico?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 13-11-2010 07:22 AM

I think it's because he DID that way back when that she is now mildly disappointed. That he didn't make the same decision again. I don't think it's hypocritical, I think it's complicated. Especially because had Albany been real, it wasn't the right decision.

And for those who missed it, she DID say thank you immediately after waking up.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 13-11-2010 09:54 AM

Yeh, i'm glad she said thanks. I loved that bit. Smile

But i can imagine Ruth being a key player in trying to clear Harry. I seriously think she regretted being so frank with him after all that he did, which made him turn her words on her and go off to die. She won't just sit there and do nothing, i think she'll have to make it up to both herself ad him.

However i also thing that if they want to put Harry out in the Cold, Ruth's in a lot of danger from this inquest too as she's played a big part in loads of his operations/(non-operational life) and decisions over her time in Section D.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Tea Lady - 13-11-2010 09:58 AM

No, she isn't a hypocrite. I think the two events are very different. Ruth was not working for Mi5 at the time, was basically in exile having been let down by her country. The only thing she had in the world was George and Nico. You couldn't have asked her to do anymore. As for Harry he let this situation develop by not keeping an eye on Lucas and he is Section Head, Ruth's boss. Harry had a choice to do what he did but I don't think Ruth did. If that makes sense.