Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 14-02-2011 11:11 PM

(14-02-2011 02:24 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I happen to have the Personnel Files right next to me Angel and the languages listed are: French - fluent, Spanish - fluent, Arabic - fluent, Persian - fluent, Greek (ancient) - fluent, and Latin - fluent.

However, I think it is understood in the Spooks canon that she has a talent for languages and picked up Russian, Mandarin and Wu over the years. Or as it serves the plot. She's like a shark with languages!

However it says in a report close to this page that the interviewer "liked her joke about being fluent in Ancient Greek, (well I hope it was a joke)" *Probably not correctly worded but i am going from the top of my head here. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 15-02-2011 03:23 AM

Believe me when I say any classics student has a variation on the same joke. Mine is that I can converse with any ancient Roman should I meet one.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xRuthx - 21-03-2011 06:18 AM

I loved Ruth's character developement in series nine! I loved that she was explored as a character in her own right not just as half the Ruth/Harry relationship. Who's with me?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 21-03-2011 06:38 AM

With you all the way. Ruth's development as a character was one of the few things about the season I unequivocally loved. In much the same way Jo's growth in season 6 made season 6 much better than it would have been otherwise.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 21-03-2011 07:33 AM

Me too. NW must have been ecstatic at having more to do than be the exposition fairy. I only have one gripe, and that is that her sudden harder attitude was not properly explained. In season 8 Ruth is still the one that is appalled at the fact they'd use a sixteen year old boy to reach their objectives, for instance. Then, from the outset in episode 9.1, she's suddenly the one that puts operational necessity above everything else.

If we take into account that season 9 starts not more than a week or two after season 8 ended, that is a rather sudden change. I would have liked to know what brought it about.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 21-03-2011 08:09 AM

It was almost as though they wanted to keep a bit of Ros around once HN had departed.

I really need to watch season 8 closely followed by season 9 to feel strongly one way or the other. It didn't bother me as much as you while season 9 was airing but that might be because other things were bothering me more.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - zpelland - 21-03-2011 10:13 AM

I think she became harder because of the proposal of Harry that she deny. After that if she really want to prove her point to Harry she needed to be more « The job come first » kind.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xRuthx - 21-03-2011 11:56 AM

(21-03-2011 08:09 AM)JHyde Wrote:  It was almost as though they wanted to keep a bit of Ros around once HN had departed.

I really need to watch season 8 closely followed by season 9 to feel strongly one way or the other. It didn't bother me as much as you while season 9 was airing but that might be because other things were bothering me more.

My sentiments exactly re being one of the things to like about series nine. Ruth pretty much singlehandedly salvaged this series for me in NICOLATASTIC fashion.

I thought that was a bit weird too and I've written enough fics to last a lifetime exploring that. My own theory is that its a continuation of never having time to grieve theme coming to a head with Ros' death.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - HellsBells - 21-03-2011 04:28 PM

Yes Ruth was one of the high points in series 9. I agree that the sudden change in Ruth's harder attitude was a bit confusing, and I hope the caring Ruth hasn't gone for good.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Beatriz - 21-03-2011 04:56 PM

I see what Silktie says, it was a bit of a change, it would have been more believable if she had changed more gradually. That said, I also loved Ruth's development as character in series 9, I think it was a normal reaction towards all that happened to her, it was something she needed as a person, fall in those dark waters.

I know/hope a softer and more smiling Ruth is to come, but of course she won't be as she used to, that wouldn't make sense, all the recent events have marked her and obviously that shapes her character.