Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Naivety - 21-03-2011 05:18 PM

I hope that the tears we saw at the end of series 9 were cathartic and that she is allowed to move on somewhat in series 10.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xRuthx - 21-03-2011 09:17 PM

(21-03-2011 04:56 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I see what Silktie says, it was a bit of a change, it would have been more believable if she had changed more gradually. That said, I also loved Ruth's development as character in series 9, I think it was a normal reaction towards all that happened to her, it was something she needed as a person, fall in those dark waters.

I know/hope a softer and more smiling Ruth is to come, but of course she won't be as she used to, that wouldn't make sense, all the recent events have marked her and obviously that shapes her character.

I agree with you! I always thought that they dealt with George and Nico way too fast in series eight and that in reality series nine Ruth is a far more realistic character developement. I loved Nicola's performance alot; I thought it was very nuanced and truthful and I really sympathised with and felt for Ruth.

It's so sad when you rewatch series two and realise how much poor Ruth has changed as a result of what she does. I love her character developement best of all though. I do hope she is allowed to forgive in series ten but I want it to be in a believable way and not in a way that compromises the character that has been built up over the years to be so consistenly real and interesting.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 31-03-2011 06:06 AM

Is the information about Ruth's father dying when she was young in the Personnel Files, or is it something the fanfic writers have made up?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Goldrush70 - 31-03-2011 06:42 AM

(31-03-2011 06:06 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Is the information about Ruth's father dying when she was young in the Personnel Files, or is it something the fanfic writers have made up?
According to the Personnel Files, Ruth's father (James Evershed) died in 1981, so Ruth would have been 11. Her mother Elizabeth remarried a few years later.

From the Personnel Files (from Ruth's persective):

"I had a happy childhood until the age of eleven when my Father's death coincided with my being sent away to a boarding school I detested. I was an only child and close to my Father."

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - A Cousin - 31-03-2011 01:40 PM

(31-03-2011 06:42 AM)Goldrush70 Wrote:  
(31-03-2011 06:06 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Is the information about Ruth's father dying when she was young in the Personnel Files, or is it something the fanfic writers have made up?
According to the Personnel Files, Ruth's father (James Evershed) died in 1981, so Ruth would have been 11. Her mother Elizabeth remarried a few years later.

"I had a happy childhood until the age of eleven when my Father's death coincided with my being sent away to a boarding school I detested. I was an only child and close to my Father."

She has some interesting things to say about how this experience changed what she called her "chemical make-up." By 13 she had decided on her emotional survival tactic of throwing herself into her work while she waits out and comes to terms with the dark periods in her life.

I can PM you with the full text if you wish?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 31-03-2011 03:33 PM

Thanks for the enlightenment, guys. I was thinking about this in terms of Ruth's self-loathing about being able to cope so well with the loss of loved ones that they gave us in season 9, actually.

I was going to make the point that when you lose a parent that young, you learn the hard way that life goes on no matter how hard you may wish for it not to.

But apparently Ruth already made that point in the Personnel Files. Tongue

Oh well.

All part of my attempts to figure out what was behind the sudden change in Ruth from seasons 8 to 9.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - DogSoSmall - 31-03-2011 05:44 PM

Well, thanks for bringing it up Silktie because I didn't know any of that. I don't even know where the Personnel Files are. Is that a book, or is it on here somewhere?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - watchstrap - 31-03-2011 06:58 PM

(31-03-2011 05:44 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Well, thanks for bringing it up Silktie because I didn't know any of that. I don't even know where the Personnel Files are. Is that a book, or is it on here somewhere?
It's a book which is readily available on Amazon, although I think you can buy both the Personnel Files and Harry's Diary on this site and some of the money goes towards running the site (I think I've got that right).

Both books are a bit of a must have for Spooks fans IMO. Go get them DogSoSmall! Your family may think you are a little sad for reading them, but you can always sculk off to the nearest Costas/Starbuck/Cafe Nero, etc and have a quiet read. I do Blush

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - xRuthx - 31-03-2011 10:06 PM

(31-03-2011 01:40 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(31-03-2011 06:42 AM)Goldrush70 Wrote:  

She has some interesting things to say about how this experience changed what she called her "chemical make-up." By 13 she had decided on her emotional survival tactic of throwing herself into her work while she waits out and comes to terms with the dark periods in her life.

Is it possible for you to PM me as well Smile I've only ever known about Ruth's father through fan fic and I've incorporated it into my own without ever reading the file.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Goldrush70 - 01-04-2011 08:51 PM

(31-03-2011 01:40 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  She has some interesting things to say about how this experience changed what she called her "chemical make-up." By 13 she had decided on her emotional survival tactic of throwing herself into her work while she waits out and comes to terms with the dark periods in her life.

Thanks so much for the offer, but I have the book, so not to worry. I really like this extra insight that the book has to offer. A very enjoyable and interesting read, as is Harry's Diary. Smile

(31-03-2011 03:33 PM)Silktie Wrote:  Thanks for the enlightenment, guys. I was thinking about this in terms of Ruth's self-loathing about being able to cope so well with the loss of loved ones that they gave us in season 9, actually.

I was going to make the point that when you lose a parent that young, you learn the hard way that life goes on no matter how hard you may wish for it not to.

You're welcome. I think this is a really valid point, and clearly had a significant impact on Ruth's outlook on life. Sad