Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 26-12-2009 05:37 AM

This is nothing against you Kirayuki, but I don't buy that postcard (the transcript of which is your signature), either the content or the fact that Harry had it put in her official file. As though Harry would leave evidence of her being alive in her official file! Not to mention she wouldn't have had the means to take the Grand Tour with what she took with her in flight. She probably did have some money, but it wouldn't go far given that she had to set up a whole new life.

I mean, it's very sweet, and obviously put there so that we know Ruth had some last contact with Harry, but it's just silly.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - almh - 26-12-2009 10:28 AM

I wouldn't put it in the Personnel files, that is a little silly for SHP. But NO MENTION OF THE POSTCARD CAMPAIGN! They lied Angry (Sorry, I kept reading about the campaign in the holidays before S8 on Johnsto, and they had an 'insider' who said it would be, but it wasn't! That annoyed me...)

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 26-12-2009 10:33 AM

It just doesn't make sense. And really, if she had, I think he might have kept it for himself.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 26-12-2009 11:01 AM

I know what you mean but i really don't care.
It was there so as far as i'm concerned it's legit. (Out of character and reason but legit. Besides the postcard campaign hasn't been mentioned before so regardless it's saying something about it, if in a round about and slightly unsatisfactory way...

Enough about my siggy now though and back to Ruth. Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Moonlight - 27-12-2009 12:09 PM

What do people think about the way that Ruth has developed in season 8? She seems to be stronger to me and less deferential than she was; I loved the bit in 8.8 where
Spoiler: show
she tells Harry that the reason why noone else has said anything re the HS because "they may be reluctant to challenge their leader's obvious conviction"
lol, which obviously tickles Harry!

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - almh - 27-12-2009 12:17 PM

Well, it was true! They would be hesitant to go against Harry when he is so obviously against the HS.

She definitely became stronger - I think the events between (and including) 5.5 and 8.1 have shaped her dramatically. She couldn't rely on anyone else, she had to be self sufficient, and that would have strengthened her as she constantly fought to create a new life for herself. She's a bit more damaged than she was in series 2-5: I think that losing Harry and her new life has hurt her, but she keeps it well hidden for the most part. I also think that she's had to get harder, but she still has her emotional side as shown in the episode with Ashok.

I like the new Ruth, mind you, I liked the series 5 Ruth quite a bit as well, but not as much. I just can't stand series 2 Ruth :shudders:

Ok, this is turning into a bit of a rant, but I quite like her character progression. Obviously I don't like any bits involving George, but I think, like the HR relationship, she has had a natural progression and it is believable, so I like it...

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Moonlight - 27-12-2009 12:35 PM

almh Wrote:I like the new Ruth, mind you, I liked the series 5 Ruth quite a bit as well, but not as much. I just can't stand series 2 Ruth :shudders:

Ok, this is turning into a bit of a rant, but I quite like her character progression. Obviously I don't like any bits involving George, but I think, like the HR relationship, she has had a natural progression and it is believable, so I like it...

I agree with you. She is better when speaking her mind, and I think it's better for her relationship with Harry the more self-confident that she is. I also like
Spoiler: show
the bit where she has fixed up her link to her Chinese contact thro the betting website, and she's all knowledgeble about Japanese Football! and she seems more comfortable talking to Ros as well

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - almh - 27-12-2009 12:37 PM

She does get on a lot better with Ros now, although if that's due to Ruth's character progression or Ros' increased maturity (because, to be honest, reporting Ruth to Mace was quite immature and spiteful... IMHO Wink) I can't tell. Maybe a bit of both, maybe there's also some guilt on Ros' side because she regrets talking to Mace.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 27-12-2009 12:40 PM

But I think part of her confidence has come from knowing that she can have a relationship with someone, that's been a big part of it.

I liked the moment they took in 8.8 to show Ruth's reaction to the death of the asset she went to meet. Very appropriate, especially given her recent trauma. Although we don't actually know how much time has passed between 8.1 and 8.8.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Beatriz - 27-12-2009 01:02 PM

I agree with, JHyde, and besides being able to rebuilt her life has influenced her confidence too.

Ruth is one of the characters who has grown more in the show.