Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Ruth - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Ruth (/thread-474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 27-12-2009 01:05 PM

In some ways, she was the only other character besides Ros who had growth this season. Harry was just sad and Lucas just blithered. Not's not really a word but I decided to make one up.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 27-12-2009 06:51 PM

Bwah! That's a good description of Lucas.

Luckily they showed that Ruth had developed somewhat. You don't live through everything she has the last few years and just stay the same naive person. It would have been really unbelievable if they had kept her exactly the same.

I would like to see her rediscover some of her joi de vivre in season 9, I think she has moped around enough during season 8 to make up for the death of her almost-husband. She needs to start enjoying life again.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Kirayuki - 27-12-2009 09:57 PM

^^^Totally agreed. (Ruth would hate you for calling her naive though Tongue)

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 28-12-2009 04:17 AM

I want to see her smiling again. Preferably at Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Moonlight - 28-12-2009 11:50 AM

The other thing I was thinking re character development is that the ,,,struggles for right word..balance of power between Ruth and Harry has shifted. I'm thinking specifically between the conversation they have in Diana, where Ruth is having huge regrets about having lied about her relationship with her stepbrother, and Harry is telling her she should be proud and she is a born spook; to the conversation they have in 8.8 where she is telling him that he should reconsider seeing the HS as a Nightingale mole and he then soon after takes action on that by sending Ros to see the HS. He's become more influenced by Ruth's conscience.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 28-12-2009 12:17 PM

Yep, I can't remember her challenging Harry like that before she left. So, her newfound life experiences also made her stand up to Harry more, which he seems to love.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Moonlight - 30-12-2009 03:17 PM

She seems to regress in her confidence between her arrival in season 2 and mid season 3... on the one hand in blood and money she's telling Tom that she was "in love with a big swinging dick" (slang for a trader..) and looking fairly chirpy and confident (tho bonkers..) then by 3.5 she seems to be hinting to Sam that she hasnt been on a date in quite some time and is all tongue tied and nervous.. curious..

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 30-12-2009 03:49 PM

She just said she was in love with him, she didn't say she had a relationship. It's not the same.

I can very easily see Ruth being a close friend who wanted to be something more and took him up on his offer to show her a few things and then read his textbooks while he was getting ready to go out.

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - Silktie - 30-12-2009 04:05 PM

Lol! Sad but true. I was about to post much the same but less eloquently. So here's a question: how did Ruth ever manage to catch George?

RE: [spoilers] Ruth - JHyde - 30-12-2009 04:24 PM

Maybe George pursued her. Plus leaving everything you know behind can be liberating. She could have been anything she wanted to be.