Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - age1021 - 27-12-2009 08:09 PM

(27-12-2009 04:11 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
Oh, and did anyone else understand the "Finding Nemo" comment at the start?

"You do the math".... "boffing"......do American's really speak like this?

I have said "you do the math" on several occasions....sadly...Blush
Haven't heard the term "boffing" ever!!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Beatriz - 27-12-2009 10:08 PM

I've rewatched episode 8 again, and is it me or when Harry leaves to the hotel at the end of the ep the pods are again there?

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 28-12-2009 03:37 AM

He definitely walks into a pod to leave.

I never noticed the pods leaving in the first place, so maybe I've missed something. I'm sure Ruth walked through them to enter the Grid in 8.1.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - kirmostar - 28-12-2009 08:03 AM

(27-12-2009 01:36 PM)LucasNorthFan Wrote:  What does TWWotW mean? The....
LNF Smile
The Wicked Witch of the West although lets be honest with her accent she could be the Wicked Witch from anywhere at all Tongue

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - almh - 28-12-2009 09:48 AM

I'm not sure - it could just be a bizarre camera shot of the doors, but I will watch in closer detail later.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - boppers08 - 29-12-2009 08:57 PM

(27-12-2009 04:11 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  "You do the math".... "boffing"......do American's really speak like this?

"You do the math" is a fairly common American phrase.

"Boffing" - I actually thought this was a British term that Russell was throwing back at someone because I'd never heard it before. I guess I was wrong, LOL!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 29-12-2009 09:08 PM

'Boffing' might be a reference to the english term 'boffin'.
It's not a popular term, but smart or overly factual people are called sometimes called a 'boffin' or a 'boff' for short.
This is all i can think to link it to. Besides, it doesn't work in the context in which he used it so there goes that theory. Tongue

Apart from that i have no idea either.

Hooray for spooks creating words!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - greenslime - 29-12-2009 09:08 PM

(26-12-2009 07:18 PM)DrDuke Wrote:  
(26-12-2009 02:20 PM)YourFutureMuse Wrote:  I don't know it did have the major end of series cliff hanger as usual Big GrinBig Grin

It had the cliffhanger but IMO it failed to have the impact of a classic Spooks season finale episode.

I thought this episode was like most of this series, absolutely woeful.

(Apart from episodes 801 & 802) 801 in particular was an excellent episode!

I think the thing that annoyed me most about this episode was the shaky camera work and the constant zooming in and out during conversations, it drove me nuts!

Other things that annoyed me about this episode where the ridiculously unbelievable situations e.g.

Spoiler: show
The Lucas hospital scene, how does Ros go from talking to him on the phone while driving to stopping Lucas from killing someone in the hospital within the space of 20 seconds?

I'd expect this type of nonsense and lack of continuity from a low budget B movie action flick but not from arguably the best BBC drama series of the past decade!

I could rant on about at least another 3 or 4 scenes in episode 808 that where similar but I won't bother.

This is the first series i've watched of spooks and overall i have enjoyed it but....
i fully understand about the continuity.
What really bugged me was the use of 2 totally different and obviously different submarines at the beginning. I know a little about submarines so as a submarine geek it really annoyed me!

The first one without seen rising out of the water is a british Trafalgar class. Hunter-killer submarine (Not capable of launching ICBMs)

Then we see a totally different submarine a British Vanguard Class which carries our nuclear deterrent ICBMs. It is blatently different due to the large dive planes at the front.

Not a big deal but if the Pakistanis had caught an Indian nuclear weapon carrying sub then the stakes would be even higher!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - LucasNorthFan - 29-12-2009 09:13 PM

(29-12-2009 08:57 PM)boppers08 Wrote:  "Boffing" - I actually thought this was a British term that Russell was throwing back at someone because I'd never heard it before. I guess I was wrong, LOL!

I thought the same Shy, is american?? What does it mean...

I rewatch this, again Rolleyes, yesterday and after Russell says to Lucas something like 'Can't blame you buddy, I couldn't say no myself' the first time around I thought Lucas reaction was one of anger/slight jealousy to what he was implying, last night I got the impression that when he takes his cup to drink, RA was hiding a smile Rolleyes Rolleyes

LNF Smile

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - TygerBright - 29-12-2009 10:06 PM

thought I'd seen the same Smile but was that the character grinning or the actor? sometimes something happens off camera .. like Sarah getting boffed..

which reminds me - the word has been intriguing me a bit (not much tho, not a big fan of American English) and here is one explanation.
And this is the source according to urbandictionary Wink
[Image: boffing.jpg]

and now we also know who is responsible for the horrible "honey"... LOL