Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - LucasNorthFan - 29-12-2009 10:12 PM

I think it is the actor, I don't see why Lucas would smile at Russell's words. Unless he realizes he said them out of envy so was happy? Confused Confused Confused Confused

LNF Smile

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 29-12-2009 10:13 PM

Well done you Tyger! Big Grin
Solved two problems at once.
*Plans revenge for the over-dose of 'Honey'*

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 29-12-2009 10:25 PM

I can't believe this discussion is still going on!

I'm really tempted to make up something funny but as the resident etymologist on the forum, here it is: boffing has British origins from about the mid 1930s and is most commonly used (as a verb) to have sex with someone. It was one of those words used by men (usually) who didn't want to say anything more vulgar because they were in "polite" company. As to why they chose "boff" as the origin of the word, I have no idea, given that "to boff someone" had previously meant to hit someone really hard, but you can draw your own conclusions from that.

Hope this helps.

(By the way, the list of things I am on this forum is getting longer and longer. At last count, I was the self professed thread resurrector, classicist and now etymologist. All of which has some basis in fact. I am also a pedant.)

Back to episode 8.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 29-12-2009 10:39 PM

Has anyone understood the finding nemo reference yet? I just can't seem to think of a possible link to what he was saying? Confused

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 30-12-2009 12:12 AM

Getting funny with it now... Couldn't he just keep his mouth shut?

I think 'Nemo' means 'No-one' or 'No name' in Latin, so it could be that he's saying they're getting worked up about trying to find somebody they don't know who they're looking for.

Another thing it could be is a reference to the literary character of 'Captain Nemo' from 'Twenty-thousand leagues under the sea'.

Nemo was a pirate with a strong hatred of opression. <<<------------I think this could be it. Smile

"A scientific genius who roams the depths of the sea. Nemo tries to project a stern, controlled confidence, but he is driven by a thirst for vengeance and wracked by remorse over the deaths of his crewmembers and even by the deaths of enemy sailors."

I doubt they were referencing the animated film about a fish. If so God help us. Tongue

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 30-12-2009 12:15 AM

Awww I had hoped they were referring to the animated fish haha Big Grin Much more fun Tongue

But I suppose your other suggestions make a tad more sense Tongue lol

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - TygerBright - 30-12-2009 12:40 AM

(30-12-2009 12:12 AM)Kirayuki Wrote:  I doubt they were referencing the animated film about a fish. If so God help us. Tongue

Bear in mind though, he's American. Jules Verne reference?!? Methinks not. (apologies to all Spooks fans from across the pond Smile)

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 30-12-2009 12:46 AM

TBH the only thing that pops in to my head when I think Nemo is the animated fish! But thats just me Tongue I even did a piece of english coursework on it! and I had a goldfish called nemo but it died I think.. Sad
*Resisting the urge to write lol, resisting the urge to write lol*

But he did say 'finding nemo' and not just nemo and that surely is an explicit reference to that glorious film Big Grin

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - TygerBright - 30-12-2009 12:51 AM

Granted, Jules Verne had them looking for Nemo too but the captain of the Nautilus was a lot harder to find than a clown fish ...
I'm not gonna lose any more sleep over that comment... which reminds me.. I might be obsessed but it's almost 2am and I need some kip. And maybe another round of episode 8.4 Smile

BTW - did anyone else think it a tad ...absurd that Tariq was one of the people sent as back-up for Ruth when she met her Chinese sourse?!? surely the numbers in the Grid haven't dwindled that much...
Or else my eyes need checking...

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 30-12-2009 12:58 AM

(30-12-2009 12:40 AM)TygerBright Wrote:  
(30-12-2009 12:12 AM)Kirayuki Wrote:  I doubt they were referencing the animated film about a fish. If so God help us. Tongue

Bear in mind though, he's American. Jules Verne reference?!? Methinks not. (apologies to all Spooks fans from across the pond Smile)

I see your point. (Also apologises).

If he meant that they were getting worried that their pet clownfish has been fish-knapped and wound up in Sydney, Australia, then the sky must have fallen in on our heads.

And i did find that a little strange. Confused Maybe they're hinting at the fact he might be in the field more often. (Also silly as he's so good with computers it would be a waste to loose him on the field. Just look at what happened to Colin... in fact don't, it depresses me. Sad)

I do believe that their numbers are that low though. It's getting riddiculous.