Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - lwhite53 - 23-01-2010 02:16 AM

C'mon folks -- I said a sub-plot to one ep. I don't want them to have a full-blown relationship, I just want to tweak Harry a little. They have a drink/dinner, they decide they have nothing in common, that's it. We need some light-hearted moments again!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kyle Aaron - 23-01-2010 08:24 AM

(25-12-2009 12:00 PM)JHyde Wrote:  Before I forget, there is one thing that remains unclear to me. Why was Blake framed as a member of Nightingale and then Lawrence engineered to be his replacement? Was it simply that the new HS had an existing relationship with the Pakistani PM and they thought it more likely they could get them in a room together?
Lots of possible reasons.
  • to get rid of a competent HS who had the trust of 5; Price mentioned that putting a wedge between the HS and 5 would be a good thing, "divide and conquer" and all that
  • put in someone who could be manipulated - "I've always wanted to be a spy" and all that talk of wanting daddy's approval, that's someone you can control
  • get the Pakistani President and UK HS in a room together and kill them both, if it looks like an Indian attack this makes the UK more likely to support Pakistan in an Indo-Pakistan conflict - and Pakistan would need all the help it could get!
etc

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - almh - 23-01-2010 08:24 AM

Definitely! I can already imagine Harry's reaction Big Grin!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kyle Aaron - 23-01-2010 08:41 AM

(30-12-2009 08:54 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Lucas told Harry that the bomb disposal guys said it was too late to disarm the device. Somewhat questionable imo, but, hey, this is tv and we do need that "willing suspension of disbelief" thing.
Sometimes terrorist bombs are booby-trapped, so that tampering with them will set off a secondary bomb or the primary one itself.

They may have meant that by the time they worked through all the traps, the primary would have exploded anyway. Had it been a few minutes away they might have tried, but with half an hour, they could evacuate everyone anyway and only property would be destroyed.

Lucas: Can't think of why Nightingale haven't tried to recruit you.
Ros: It's been gnawing at me, as well.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Yalta recruited Ros. And Yalta was a group that had intelligence officers, politicians and corporate leaders from across the world who wanted a New World Order... sound familiar?

Hardly anyone ever seems to remember the troubled and mixed-up past of these officers. We've come a long way from Tom Quinn being decommissioned in the field. Sir Harry would just shrug and tell him to go have a relaxing cup of tea now.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Silktie - 23-01-2010 09:10 AM

(22-01-2010 06:14 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I am stating here and now that if they try this, it will go wrong and you will all lament such a storyline and call the writers fools and say it was worse than Lucas/Sarah and I will say 'I told you so'.

Bwah! I'll be standing right behind you. But actually I think it would be an even more implausible story if they both 'miraculously' survive the blast. I think they're both goners.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 23-01-2010 11:42 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they're both pulled out alive but Ros dies afterwards. Like it's been said, when has anyone actually died on the cliffy? It's almost always at the start of the next season...

Also, I just don't see them having the home secretary killed off in Spooks yet. It's might be a bit too much of a big deal to cope with properly right now. (If you think of all the political implications that might have and the repercussions...)

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - lwhite53 - 23-01-2010 04:55 PM

That's an interesting thought -- he lives, she dies -- and because of the nature of the job, no one could really know that she saved him. That has some dramatic possibilities. I agree that killing him off so quickly might be an issue, what with the political ramifications for the UK and the revenge motive -- every security service in the world would be searching for Nightingale.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Tea Lady - 23-01-2010 05:00 PM

If I was a betting Tea Lady I would say the HS lives but is injured. Perhaps has to retire. Ros survives but dies later in hospital. I think we could do with a break from having a HS in Spooks and then bring in someone above Harry who's in the Service. You are right though, nobody would ever know Ros saved the HS.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - molecatcher - 23-01-2010 10:25 PM

The brilliant Spooks writers came very close to the truth again with their India v Pakistan storyline in Episode 8. This is just a small section from a recent newspaper article - "A key terror suspect who allegedly helped to plan last year’s attacks in Mumbai and plotted to strike Europe was an American secret agent who went rogue, Indian officials believe. Indian officials suspect that US agencies declined to share intelligence to avoid compromising other secret operations and to be able to deny any link with Mr Headley. Analysts believe that the CIA may also have been anxious to avoid sharing information that could further raise tensions between India and Pakistan, nuclear-armed neighbours who have fought three wars."

Spooky or what??

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - almh - 24-01-2010 10:28 AM

OMG that is so freaky! Maybe the Spooks writers are psychic? Tongue (They're very good at this whole thing... Too good.)