Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - age1021 - 24-12-2009 11:06 PM

Wow, I finally got to see it and it was good. Not as good as episode 4, but still pretty damn good. Smile
1) Let me say that I really wanted to jump into the screen and kick Lucas in the balls! Angry Where did he get off letting sarah go like that?!?!?! Ros should have put a cap in his a** for doing that!!!
2) The last moments with Ros and the HS were amazing!! BEst of this episode really!! I was pacing and watching my screen at the same time!! Confused
3) Did I mention that Lucas was a complete mess during this episode? How can you love somebody who A) you only slept with and B) LIED ALL THE TIME!!
4) Ros and Sarah were hilarious this episode!! Clearly Ros has the brass balls that Lucas could only dream of possessing!! Wink
5) Why hasn't Harry sat Lucas down for a talk?
I have more thoughts, but I have shopped too much today to put them down right now Thud

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - boppers08 - 25-12-2009 05:13 AM

Wow, wow, wow...this episode was so great!!! I am really hoping this is not the end for Ros because I just loved her character in series 7 and 8. Ugh, I feel so sad just thinking she and the HS may not have made it!

I loved the banter/friendship between Tariq and Ruth. I agree with what someone else said that when Ruth went with Tareq to look at the football scores, I thought Harry gave a bit of a curious/jealous glance at Ruth. There's nothing that adds more delicious tension to a budding romance than a little perceived competition (real or imagined). Wink And when I say "competition," I mean that Harry would be jealous of Ruth's time with Tareq or the fact that she'd share something with Tareq and not with Harry, and I don't mean "competition" in the Ruth/Tareq-having-an-affair sense.

Lucas and Sarah...I never found their relationship believable. I kept watching this whole series for some evidence of their love for each other, and it just never came to be for me. Regardless, in this episode I could believe Sarah loved Lucas when she wouldn't kill him, and I think Lucas had equally strong feelings for her based on him not shooting her and also his reaction to her death. I like what someone else said about him hoping until the end to turn her even though he claimed to have been "disgusted" by her (or something to that effect).

And as much as Sarah irritated me throughout the whole series, I didn't find her accent as awful as previous episodes, and I'm an American. The Boston accent was still horrible, but when she wasn't trying to put the Beantown inflection in her words, she didn't sound too bad.

I was SO HAPPY to see Russell Price get his comeuppance. What a slimeball! I really believed Ros when she said she would let the both of them walk out if he gave her the room #, and I was glad to see that she had been lying!

So again back to Ros...please don't let this be the end of her! And I will keep checking back to see if BBC has released confirmation on Series 9. And even then...it's painful to think that we'll have to until next fall to watch it - ugh!!!

Sorry if I've rambled. I'm not as eloquent as other posters. I love reading what other people have to say more than expressing my opinion - ha Smile

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 25-12-2009 12:00 PM

Before I forget, there is one thing that remains unclear to me. Why was Blake framed as a member of Nightingale and then Lawrence engineered to be his replacement? Was it simply that the new HS had an existing relationship with the Pakistani PM and they thought it more likely they could get them in a room together?

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Beatriz - 25-12-2009 12:03 PM

Yes, you're right, I can't see the reason either...
To make us think the new HS was part of Nightingale is definitely not a good reason!

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Kirayuki - 25-12-2009 12:10 PM

You have to admit that it caused some confusion in MI5 though.
It could have been used as a diversion.

Also there's the possibility that they thought Nicholas Blake would be more of a threat to them as a home sec and so they removed him from office. Andrew Lawrence could have just been coincidence as a normal replacement.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 25-12-2009 01:24 PM

I also honestly think the only reason they sent Harry down to the Regent was so that we had a chance, along with Harry, to see Ruth get distressed at the thought of him going into danger.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Silktie - 25-12-2009 01:53 PM

Heh, Harry was probably just miffed that he didn't get to be Gold Commander this time, so went down there to show them how a Gold Commander should operate.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 25-12-2009 01:58 PM

They like that title Smile It has been used a few times, 4.1/2, 7.3 and now 8.8.

Have you figured out what bothered you about this episode yet Silktie?

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Silktie - 25-12-2009 02:26 PM

I dunno, maybe not enough Harry in the episode?

Kidding. Maybe it's to do with my intense dislike of Sarah, and the huge amount of screentime she got in this final episode. And that all that screentime didn't forward the plot significantly, but only served to make Lucas look like a lovesick puppy who can't use his brain properly. I mean, honestly, it would have changed nothing whatsoever if Lucas had shot her the first time he had a chance. Or if she had been killed in episode 6, even. If you're going to invest so much screentime in a loathsome character, there needs to be a bigger pay-off than we got. Even her death was distinctly underwhelming. Now if we got to see Lucas having to kill her despite his continued ill-advised feelings for her, that would at least have contributed something to the episode.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Lucasfan - 25-12-2009 02:47 PM

(25-12-2009 01:53 PM)Silktie Wrote:  Heh, Harry was probably just miffed that he didn't get to be Gold Commander this time, so went down there to show them how a Gold Commander should operate.

Trouble is....gold commander should not be at the scene.......he/she should be at a different location....having an overview of everything and a more strategic role......

Nit-picking aside....what a brilliant episode......a fitting climax!

How long do we have to wait now?