Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 8 (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion (/thread-508.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 25-12-2009 07:04 PM

I think they already had HS and PPrez in a room together at a crucial time. When they found out, Ruth had to remind Harry that there are such things as coincidences. She said something more interesting which I can't remember. Nightingale might have had some plans for using their friendship in a heinous way, like making it look like England was on board at the highest levels. If it hadn't been for Ruth, MI 5 might have done something bad to him. Just spec of course.

(While proofreading it occurred to me that they may have been trying to pin the whole thing on England and keep the CIA out of it completely. So, they get their war and continue with whatever was next while remaining free to operate, looking as innocent as can be. They censure the UK, remove HS and put in their man. Ick, it sounds too much like real life.)

Just before Ros shot Sarah on the bridge (we didn't really know yet that she was there), Lucas turned his back on her a la Ben plus was near a fence and drop a la Walker. Did anyone say CAREFUL! (I did.)

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - age1021 - 25-12-2009 08:26 PM

(25-12-2009 07:04 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  I think they already had HS and PPrez in a room together at a crucial time. When they found out, Ruth had to remind Harry that there are such things as coincidences. She said something more interesting which I can't remember. Nightingale might have had some plans for using their friendship in a heinous way, like making it look like England was on board at the highest levels. If it hadn't been for Ruth, MI 5 might have done something bad to him. Just spec of course.

(While proofreading it occurred to me that they may have been trying to pin the whole thing on England and keep the CIA out of it completely. So, they get their war and continue with whatever was next while remaining free to operate, looking as innocent as can be. They censure the UK, remove HS and put in their man. Ick, it sounds too much like real life.)

Just before Ros shot Sarah on the bridge (we didn't really know yet that she was there), Lucas turned his back on her a la Ben plus was near a fence and drop a la Walker. Did anyone say CAREFUL! (I did.)

Actually I think Lucas knew Ros was going to shoot her because that would be the only way to keep Sarah from running again. Notice how when it happened, Lucas didn't flinch? Why do you think he turned his back?
He didn't want to see her shot...I mean that's what I think Undecided

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - femaleBertieWooster - 26-12-2009 01:19 AM

(25-12-2009 08:26 PM)age1021 Wrote:  
(25-12-2009 07:04 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  I think they already had HS and PPrez in a room together at a crucial time. When they found out, Ruth had to remind Harry that there are such things as coincidences. She said something more interesting which I can't remember. Nightingale might have had some plans for using their friendship in a heinous way, like making it look like England was on board at the highest levels. If it hadn't been for Ruth, MI 5 might have done something bad to him. Just spec of course.

Actually I think Lucas knew Ros was going to shoot her because that would be the only way to keep Sarah from running again. Notice how when it happened, Lucas didn't flinch? Why do you think he turned his back?
He didn't want to see her shot...I mean that's what I think Undecided

Yes, Lucas knew but we didn't. Also agree, he turned his back because he didn't want to see it.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 26-12-2009 05:28 AM

Hilarious line in the episode's first five mins: Ruth's "Deadlines are bad." Master of understatement.

Oh and Ros' shout-out to REM made me laugh too, kirmostar!!

The office scene is exquisite. Harry looks at her with this beautiful softness I'd almost forgotten he has, and I love how disconcerted Ruth is when she realises Harry is looking at her with such abandon. It's so adorable. Enough to tide some of us over, at least for a month or two.

I loved the return of the 7.7 score in Lucas' fight with Sarah's killer. The same music as is used in the Cafe Beduoin.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - SpooksFan94941 - 26-12-2009 08:30 AM

I loved this episode, definitely ended with a bang... the only hole in the story is that anyone as smart as Ros would have found a room service cart to wheel the Home Secretary to safety.

Can't wait for Series 9! I'd love to see Ros return, but this show kills its protagonists faster than Shakespeare.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 26-12-2009 10:17 AM

Good choice for a first post - welcome to the forum!

As to why Harry didnt sprint after Lucas and help him look for Ros - well, it's not as though Harry can really sprint these days. He certainly couldn't keep up with Lucas. Not to mention he had to make sure the Pakistani President was talking to the camera as soon as possible. And finally - - wasn't it enough that one of them went? At least with Harry there Lucas was able to go and see if there was anything he could do.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - Beatriz - 26-12-2009 11:29 AM

That's a good point JHyde, besides he's very valuable and the only thing he would have achieved was puting his life in danger.

One stupid comment, isn't Ruth cold with only a raincoat on?

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - JHyde - 26-12-2009 01:52 PM

A friend of mine just commented that she thought it didn't really feel like a series finale and this, I think, is a fair criticism. It felt more like an episode 7.

At least there's no Harry in the trunk of a car though.

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 26-12-2009 02:20 PM

I don't know it did have the major end of series cliff hanger as usual Big GrinBig Grin

RE: Episode 8 Discussion - DrDuke - 26-12-2009 07:18 PM

(26-12-2009 02:20 PM)YourFutureMuse Wrote:  I don't know it did have the major end of series cliff hanger as usual Big GrinBig Grin

It had the cliffhanger but IMO it failed to have the impact of a classic Spooks season finale episode.

I thought this episode was like most of this series, absolutely woeful.

(Apart from episodes 801 & 802) 801 in particular was an excellent episode!

I think the thing that annoyed me most about this episode was the shaky camera work and the constant zooming in and out during conversations, it drove me nuts!

Other things that annoyed me about this episode where the ridiculously unbelievable situations e.g.

Spoiler: show
The Lucas hospital scene, how does Ros go from talking to him on the phone while driving to stopping Lucas from killing someone in the hospital within the space of 20 seconds?

I'd expect this type of nonsense and lack of continuity from a low budget B movie action flick but not from arguably the best BBC drama series of the past decade!

I could rant on about at least another 3 or 4 scenes in episode 808 that where similar but I won't bother.