Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Richard Armitage - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Richard Armitage (/thread-563.html)

RE: Richard Armitage - KitKat385 - 16-11-2010 12:04 AM

(15-11-2010 03:45 PM)tyme4t Wrote:  I am looking forward to Captain America too - just for RA though...kinda like going to see Robin Hood for MM Blush

Wish I could be at the Old Vic for this - The 24 Hour Plays Celebrity Gala

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whatson.php?id=73

Haha I think a good chunk of the women going to see this movie will be for RA! He's my only motivation to go see it - I'm one of those lovely Americans who doesn't care much about Captain America. My mom gave me a severe double-take when I mentioned interest in the movie Tongue ....& then I mentioned the Hobbit, too!

Dang it. Thought that looked so awesome, clicked on the link, and saw tickets weren't in US dollars - major indicator I'm not going. Sad

(15-11-2010 11:52 PM)Bethles123 Wrote:  Is anyone else having issues seeing him as short and hairy on screen? It's going to be wierd...

I think it's going to be nice! We get to see him in a TOTALLY different role, and the fact he may not be absolutely stunning might help me focus on the plot Smile

On a little side note: so happy Peter Jackson is directing the film! Smart man too - "Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakenshield." Anybody else think Dec 2012 can't come fast enough?
(16-11-2010 12:01 AM)nicky_84 Wrote:  I must get strike back on dvd,is it any good? My copy of north and south is going to need replacing soon i watch it so much.

I have also taken to watching clips on youtube of Richard reading bedtime stories on cbeebies when i need cheering up. Ladies if you haven't watched before i strongly reccommend it,it is the sweetest thing ever,your uterus will skip a beat! I have already had imaginary children with him and named them!

Personally, I loved it! If RA wasn't in it, still would have been great entertainment.

Has anybody actually READ North & South? I've been wanting too, but I'm not sure if it will live up to my love of the BBC production.

Haha I tried watching a Cbeebies clip on Youtube, but the cheery opening music deterred me, and I have yet to watch it. I might try again if I'm having a really bad day. But am I the only one that feels a little guilty/stalkerish watching the man read bedtime stories?

Really? ...What did you name them?

RE: Richard Armitage - Snowball - 16-11-2010 12:42 AM

(16-11-2010 12:04 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Has anybody actually READ North & South? I've been wanting too, but I'm not sure if it will live up to my love of the BBC production.

YES!!!

It's lovely, a real classic and worth every second of reading time. It takes nothing away from the BBC production, but gives a greater insight into the thoughts of the characters and their reasons for their actions. For me, it only enhanced what I'd seen on screen.

RE: Richard Armitage - VaBookworm87 - 16-11-2010 12:47 AM

(16-11-2010 12:42 AM)Snowball Wrote:  
(16-11-2010 12:04 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Has anybody actually READ North & South? I've been wanting too, but I'm not sure if it will live up to my love of the BBC production.

YES!!!

It's lovely, a real classic and worth every second of reading time. It takes nothing away from the BBC production, but gives a greater insight into the thoughts of the characters and their reasons for their actions. For me, it only enhanced what I'd seen on screen.

I'm halfway through it right now myself, and I'm loving it so far Smile

RE: Richard Armitage - Quill - 16-11-2010 12:56 AM

North & South is a very intriguing novel, but if English is not your mother tongue, the author's representation of the workers speech will take some patience and quite a bit of guesswork. The ending seems a bit rushed, which probably was, since it was originally published in installments on Charles Dickens paper. I enjoyed the novel, but the BBC adaptation was better, in my opinion.

Strike Back... it was an action, guns blazing series. Check your brain at the door, because it's no Spooks. Enjoy it for what it is. I read the book while waiting for the series to come out and almost puked. It is that bad. The TV series was a marked improvement and fixed a lot of plot holes. I can see why RA changed his mind after he read the script. He initially rejected the role.

Thorin will be a great supporting role, but if anyone is expecting it to be what Aragorn was to Viggo Mortensen, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Look at John Rhys-Davies, who was the dwarf Gimli on LOTR. (I think Gimli is Thorin's son, if memory serves me right.) Not exactly a heartthrob character. Heroic, yes. It will be interesting to see how much of his performance will shine through all the make-up.

So far, I think RA's best roles were:
1. North & South
2. Spooks
3. The Impressionists
4. Vicar of Dibley
5. Sparkhouse

(Nope, I'm not a Robin Hood fan.)

RE: Richard Armitage - BravoNine - 16-11-2010 01:25 AM

(15-11-2010 11:52 PM)Bethles123 Wrote:  Is anyone else having issues seeing him as short and hairy on screen? It's going to be wierd...

Nope, no trouble at all! Thorin is a very honorable and noble figure, RA will be most perfect for it!!Wink

RE: Richard Armitage - KitKat385 - 16-11-2010 02:52 AM

(16-11-2010 12:42 AM)Snowball Wrote:  YES!!!

Alright, guess I'll have to pick it up then! Thanks for your input Smile

(16-11-2010 12:56 AM)Quill Wrote:  North & South is a very intriguing novel, but if English is not your mother tongue, the author's representation of the workers speech will take some patience and quite a bit of guesswork. The ending seems a bit rushed, which probably was, since it was originally published in installments on Charles Dickens paper. I enjoyed the novel, but the BBC adaptation was better, in my opinion.

So far, I think RA's best roles were:
1. North & South
2. Spooks
3. The Impressionists
4. Vicar of Dibley
5. Sparkhouse

(Nope, I'm not a Robin Hood fan.)

Do you mean the British version of English? Because I'm afraid a good handful of...gosh, would you call them slang? - things like bandaid vs plaster - are still confusing to me. And if the setting in this novel is older...

Ironically, Sir Guy is the first role of RA's I saw. Thank you, Netflix Instant-Watch! Robin Hood was under the 'we think you'd like' category since I watched Merlin, which was under the related category of Legend of the Seeker. Which I watched because it was one of the 'New Arrivals: TV'. & so I found this amazing actor...and then North & South showed up under my recommended titles XD I became officially hooked.

Alright, trip down memory lane over...now I'm really curious to see what I'll think of the book!

RE: Richard Armitage - Quill - 16-11-2010 03:04 AM

(16-11-2010 02:52 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Do you mean the British version of English? Because I'm afraid a good handful of...gosh, would you call them slang? - things like bandaid vs plaster - are still confusing to me. And if the setting in this novel is older...

Yes, it's British English spoken a couple centuries ago, but the workers speech is another business. She recreates their speech pattern almost phonetically and it's hard to make sense of it on the beginning. You get use to it after awhile. The thing is, the English spoken by the working masses is different than the one used by the ruling class and she does a very good job portraying this clash. But it makes the reading harder if English is your second language.

RE: Richard Armitage - VaBookworm87 - 16-11-2010 03:14 AM

(16-11-2010 02:52 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Do you mean the British version of English? Because I'm afraid a good handful of...gosh, would you call them slang? - things like bandaid vs plaster - are still confusing to me. And if the setting in this novel is older...

Yeah, the slang is sort of spelled phonetically... Image how Nicholas or Boucher speaks in the film version, and imagine that in print. It's tough, but it sort of helps differentiate the speech of the "common" folk of the North from the high-brow Southerners.

(16-11-2010 02:52 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Ironically, Sir Guy is the first role of RA's I saw. Thank you, Netflix Instant-Watch! Robin Hood was under the 'we think you'd like' category since I watched Merlin, which was under the related category of Legend of the Seeker. Which I watched because it was one of the 'New Arrivals: TV'. & so I found this amazing actor...and then North & South showed up under my recommended titles XD I became officially hooked.

I found RA when Netflix Watch Instantly recommended N&S to me based on my liking period films. I then stalked RA throughout Netflix and watched everything they had lol

RE: Richard Armitage - KitKat385 - 16-11-2010 03:51 AM

(16-11-2010 03:04 AM)Quill Wrote:  Yes, it's British English spoken a couple centuries ago, but the workers speech is another business. She recreates their speech pattern almost phonetically and it's hard to make sense of it on the beginning. You get use to it after awhile. The thing is, the English spoken by the working masses is different than the one used by the ruling class and she does a very good job portraying this clash. But it makes the reading harder if English is your second language.

Alright, then. Thanks for the heads up! English is my native language, but I'll try not to throw the book at the wall if it confuses me in the beginning. I can understand why she would do that if there was such a difference between the social classes, so at least I won't be thinking it was just to confound the silly readers Wink
(16-11-2010 03:14 AM)VaBookworm87 Wrote:  Yeah, the slang is sort of spelled phonetically... Image how Nicholas or Boucher speaks in the film version, and imagine that in print. It's tough, but it sort of helps differentiate the speech of the "common" folk of the North from the high-brow Southerners.

Oooh, okay. So trying to research the spelling as it is in the book won't help much XD (Google is your friend!) Thanks for the help!

(16-11-2010 03:14 AM)VaBookworm87 Wrote:  I found RA when Netflix Watch Instantly recommended N&S to me based on my liking period films. I then stalked RA throughout Netflix and watched everything they had lol

Haha, thank you Netflix! You've now opened many a door for us adoring fans Smile

RE: Richard Armitage - BoHenley - 16-11-2010 09:29 AM

(15-11-2010 12:49 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  I'm sure he'll be able to do a few other things such as sleep, eat, act, jump, skip, hop, sing, dance, blink, punch, and among others...Wink

...change in (and out of) a boiler suit... Angel ... in and out of the Gisborne leather outfit ... any outfit... (better buy a few more angels here)
Angel Angel Angel