Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 04-04-2010 11:04 PM

I also got the impression that Harry envied Tom joining the real world, lwhite53. Did anybody else find it strange that Harry told Fred his real name when he recruited him? Granted this happened 20 years ago, but you would think that Harry would have used a legend.

Tea Lady, are you changing your avatar weekly to reflect the re-watch? If so, nice!!!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 04-04-2010 11:44 PM

(04-04-2010 11:04 PM)shazia.kasim Wrote:  Did anybody else find it strange that Harry told Fred his real name when he recruited him? Granted this happened 20 years ago, but you would think that Harry would have used a legend.

Actually, I didn't think about it when I watched the ep but you're right -- why would H have told Roberts his real name? None of the rest of them did and the pattern, thus far in the series, seems to be that they always use legends with outsiders. Good catch!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Nia M - 05-04-2010 07:59 AM

Perhaps they knew each other before Harry joined MI5?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 05-04-2010 09:21 AM

Contiunity things like that drive me mad!

Re: picard's idea that maybe Harry and Tessa could 'bury the hatchet' and start their own agency?

Spooks has a better chance of going a season without losing a member of its own team. In other words: hell freezing over.

I love Harry in Season 3.....yes, I know, I always love Harry, but you learn a lot about Harry's principles in season 3. Second only to Season 5, I think, in Harry revelations.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 05-04-2010 09:25 AM

Yes, I know...but they dynamic between Peter Firth and Jenny Agutter is so very good...just wishful thinking on my part.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 05-04-2010 10:31 AM

(04-04-2010 11:04 PM)shazia.kasim Wrote:  Did anybody else find it strange that Harry told Fred his real name when he recruited him? Granted this happened 20 years ago, but you would think that Harry would have used a legend.

Tea Lady, are you changing your avatar weekly to reflect the re-watch? If so, nice!!!

I hadnt noticed that either S.K but Harry did. I have looked in his diary and it makes no mention of the circumstances in which they met. Perhaps they were friends first, from University or the Army?? It does say in his diary though that he envied Tom becoming a member of the public again. Poor Harry.

Re my avatar, I have changed this most weeks since starting the rewatch. I have only just started adding text though (sort of copied Silktie there.) This weeks avatar is from Harry's office when Tom slightly loses it.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Beatriz - 05-04-2010 03:21 PM

I noticed that too, it was weird, that Harry gave Fred his real name... Apparently Fred only remembered his first name, but Harry said his real surname, when Fred asked... Really odd.

As for Harry envying Tom... I don't know, he envied Tom in some way, not fully, after all he loves his work, I can't imagine Harry leading a normal life, perhaps for some days, but not for the rest life. For me it's the typical man who will find hard retiring... not in that certain time when Tom leaves, maybe now with Ruth is different Rolleyes Silba

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 05-04-2010 05:11 PM

I think he did envy Tom. I base this on Harry's reaction when Zoe asks for permission to date. After she leaves his office, Harry has this wistful expression on his face, making me think that he was probably pondering why it has been such a long time since he has had to fill in one of those forms. He seemed to be thinking about the fact that he had no life whatsoever outside of the service, and no matter how much you love your work, there are days when the knowledge that you have nothing outside of your job is going to make you feel sad an depressed, and envious of those people that seem to have a more balanced life.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Beatriz - 05-04-2010 05:45 PM

I'm not saying he wasn't envious at all, I think he was but only to some extent. He can leave the service if he wants to, he would get a pay, perhaps he's afraid of leading a normal life, what do you think?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 06-04-2010 01:14 AM

Harry must have some semblance of normality - he had a dog...and you need to walk a dog at least twice a day, and they do require lots of attention. Plus he promised Ruth he'd adopt her cats and, while cats are more self-sufficient, they do require some attention.

He obviously listens to music - opera (which I think is slightly out of character - Harry's more a jazz man, I think!) and Led Zeppelin (ep 6.9) which I am pleased about, because it's in keeping with his age.

I agree, though, that he'd probably be wondering what on earth he'd do with himself if he wasn't on the Grid. I have a few ideas...but I'll keep them to myself. :-0