Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Nia M - 06-04-2010 08:56 AM

I personally think he'd just find another job to occupy his time; MI5 has been his life for so long now, that he'd be lost without that nine-to-five (or in his case I bet it's more like six-'til-eleven or something) comfort.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 06-04-2010 04:22 PM

(06-04-2010 01:14 AM)picard1109 Wrote:  Harry must have some semblance of normality - he had a dog...and you need to walk a dog at least twice a day, and they do require lots of attention. Plus he promised Ruth he'd adopt her cats and, while cats are more self-sufficient, they do require some attention.

He obviously listens to music - opera (which I think is slightly out of character - Harry's more a jazz man, I think!) and Led Zeppelin (ep 6.9) which I am pleased about, because it's in keeping with his age.

I agree, though, that he'd probably be wondering what on earth he'd do with himself if he wasn't on the Grid. I have a few ideas...but I'll keep them to myself. :-0

Hee! I bet you do.

Well, I'm sure Harry has a housekeeper or something, as he doesn't have time to clean the house or any such things. So I'm sure she/he also takes care of the pets. But I really don't think he has any life outside of work - in his diary he says that once he became Section Head he is picked up at 07:00 in the mornings and usually don't leave the grid till late in the evening. So yes, Beatriz, I for one think there is fear on Harry's side that he no longer knows how to lead a normal life, and that this is a factor in him staying on despite all the pressures and demands of the job.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 06-04-2010 05:20 PM

Silktie: yes, that does happen to a lot of people with demanding jobs...they don't really know who they are outside of work. So you could be right that he'll hang in there until forced out, or another
Series 6 Spoiler: show
Home Secretary tries to have him bumped off
!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 06-04-2010 05:57 PM

Harry isn't the only character on the grid who is a workaholic. Without their jobs most of them would struggle to lead full lives. His mention of taking a Grand Tour, while on his date with Ruth, may mean that he has considered a life outside the service. With all the death and betrayal that goes with working in the secret service, Harry would have plans in place even if they are only contingencies.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - yorkshiretyke - 11-04-2010 01:53 PM

Good afternoon,

Me and Mr Y are relatively new to 'Spooks', in fact we only started watching it because of Richard Armitage joining the show (I was a huge fan of NS). After watching series 7 and 8 we decided we needed to watch some of the previous series and rather randomly started at series 4 (I dont know why!), after many weeks we have watched them all and have started on series 1 and 2...

Why am I telling you this, you are all asking?? Well , if we hadn't already known that Harry was the 'best', always said/did the right thing..I think series 2 would of put us off him for good!...episode 8 and 9 painted him in a very bad light.....

...discuss...

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 11-04-2010 02:19 PM

Hi YorkshireTyke,

Welcome to the fold! I'm pretty new around these parts m'self but everyone's very friendly.

I rather like Harry in 2.7 and 8, actually - I adore Harry...but particularly when he's vulnerable or when he's showing his darker side!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 11-04-2010 04:57 PM

(11-04-2010 01:53 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Why am I telling you this, you are all asking?? Well , if we hadn't already known that Harry was the 'best', always said/did the right thing..I think series 2 would of put us off him for good!...episode 8 and 9 painted him in a very bad light.....

...discuss...

Welcome! We're busy with a rewatch at the moment, and have discussed Harry's shortcomings and motivations in these two episodes e few pages back on this thread. We're up to episode 3.3 this week, so feel free to join our discussion of Harry in this episode.

I loved Harry here, and enjoyed him getting one over on Mace with the whole tube thing that allowed Adam to escape his watchers. Harry hasn't lost any of his skills out in the field, it seems. I also liked the fact that he felt the government should have kept the promise they made to Harakat. This is in line with what we know of Harry, namely that he values loyalty.

And is it me, or is Harry's sources always women? Clearly it isn't just us that find him hard to say no to. Wink

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 12-04-2010 11:43 AM

I'm not sure Silktie. Did Harry act the way he did because of some loyalty to Harakat and the promises the British Government made to him or was it to get one over Mace and 6, to keep them at arms lenght, where Harry thinks they should be. Harry certainly seemed to be enjoying himself in this episode.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 12-04-2010 02:40 PM

(12-04-2010 11:43 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I'm not sure Silktie. Did Harry act the way he did because of some loyalty to Harakat and the promises the British Government made to him or was it to get one over Mace and 6, to keep them at arms lenght, where Harry thinks they should be. Harry certainly seemed to be enjoying himself in this episode.

To me it seemed a combination of both, getting one over on Mace and the government keeping its promises. I love Mace in this episode as he is the antithesis of Harry and his values. TM plays Mace with great effect and it shows the brilliance of the actor that he was only in 4 episodes, yet we all want him to come back.

Harry certainly enjoys his verbal sparring with Mace at the club and then getting one over on him on the tube. The embankment scene between the two characters at the end is wonderful, and as lwhite53 puts it, clearly shows the differences in their post 9/11 viewpoints.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 12-04-2010 02:45 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if most of Harry's sources are women. Who could say no to Harry??? (Other than Ruth...but I'll not contaminate this thread with my views on her!)