Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 05-05-2010 06:10 PM

(05-05-2010 05:12 PM)Silktie Wrote:  YES!!!

Our man is looking good. Thanks Tea Lady, this made me a happy camper.

Ha Ha, I did wonder whether I should have put that picture in this thread so we could talk "Harry." Knew you would like it Silktie. He is looking good though. Love the tie. It is though rather distracting me from my work today !!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 05-05-2010 06:14 PM

He looks great. Maybe he's been running around with Bobo the free roaming cat. Or whatever it was.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - picard1109 - 05-05-2010 06:22 PM

Thanks for the link, TL. PF looks terrific!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - watchstrap - 05-05-2010 08:30 PM

Gold tie! I luuuurve that tie. He is looking good! Am I correct in thinking that Richard Arnold is featuring this on GMTV tomorrow or is that pic of him in the car boot from his S8 visit? Surely tomorrow is going to be all election...yawn.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 16-05-2010 12:51 PM

Loved Harry in 3.8, it was a really strong episode for him. It also allowed PF to stretch his acting muscles a bit, with everything from comedy in his scenes with B and Mace, to moral outrage in his scenes with the politician. His scenes with Sylvester are some of my all-time favourite Harry moments, because they tell us so much about the character. His disgust at Sylvester's actions, and his attempts to make him pay for what he did shows Harry's strong moral centre off well. No wonder he generally hates politicians.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 16-05-2010 02:56 PM

(16-05-2010 12:51 PM)Silktie Wrote:  Loved Harry in 3.8, it was a really strong episode for him. It also allowed PF to stretch his acting muscles a bit, with everything from comedy in his scenes with B and Mace, to moral outrage in his scenes with the politician. His scenes with Sylvester are some of my all-time favourite Harry moments, because they tell us so much about the character. His disgust at Sylvester's actions, and his attempts to make him pay for what he did shows Harry's strong moral centre off well. No wonder he generally hates politicians.

Yes I agree it is a good episode for Harry. I love it when he drags the minister across to his desk. Sylvester was not a small man either. No way was Harry going to let him get away with it even though the dead woman was really a no-body and wouldnt have been missed. Right is right I guess for Harry when he is in control and not taking orders from above.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 19-05-2010 04:21 PM

I agree. Harry is only one of two characters that gets good, solid development in 3.8. I am not sure I was aware of it at first though - it is rather subtle. The plot does not revolve around Harry - but they still manage to show the viewers a lot about him. Sylvester has no right to get away, quite literally, with murder than anyone else.

It was interesting to read in the DVD extras for 3.8 the acknowledgment that due to PFs acting skills and presence, Harry has gradually become more central. I wonder if 3.8 is the turning point episode for the Harry character for the writers/producers. Personally, I'm surprised that when casting someone with PFs skill and experience, you wouldn't naturally expect him to become, how does Connie say it in S6? The still point around which the universe revolves? Or some such. I find myself asking myself what episode was it when Harry became the lynch-pin to me? Not sure I can right now but I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say their episode was.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I try to not read too far back in this thread b/c I haven't seen S7 or 8.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 19-05-2010 04:33 PM

That's a good question AC, something which we have talked a little about before on the thread. There was a gradual development of Harry's character and his screen time. He was a bit player in the first few episodes of season 1 and then the character became more integral. For me, personally, season 3 was when I realised that Harry was the still point around which the Spooks universe revolves, as all three of the original main characters left and I still wanted to watch the show.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 20-05-2010 04:43 PM

molecatcher said something really interesting over on the Harry and Ruth thread and I think it might be worth discussing here.

"It's his [Harry's] lonely existence that makes for such an endearing character..."

What do you guys think? Is this part of the reason we like Harry, that he's a trifle sad when it comes to his personal life?

Are we all clucky over Harry?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - watchstrap - 20-05-2010 07:44 PM

Yes, I'm definitely clucky over Harry! There's a 'rescue dog' quality about him. You just want to take him home Smile