Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 29-08-2010 01:21 PM

By strict definition of the word (I had to look it up Blush) I would say that he is not a romantic - closet or otherwise. He is too grounded in reality and practicality for that. I still like the character definition that PF gives when he says that Harry is a pugilist for the state but he's a lover not a fighter. Everything he does he does, even the horrifically brutal stuff, out of his general affection and regard for others: love for his country, love for his team, love for idea of democracy, love for the greater good, and, in the end, love for Ruth.

Exclamation emoticom chosen by my daughter.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 29-08-2010 01:54 PM

(29-08-2010 01:21 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  By strict definition of the word (I had to look it up Blush) I would say that he is not a romantic - closet or otherwise. He is too grounded in reality and practicality for that. I still like the character definition that PF gives when he says that Harry is a pugilist for the state but he's a lover not a fighter. Everything he does he does, even the horrifically brutal stuff, out of his general affection and regard for others: love for his country, love for his team, love for idea of democracy, love for the greater good, and, in the end, love for Ruth.

Exclamation emoticom chosen by my daughter.

Hmm, so you are saying that being a lover is different to being a romantic A Cousin? Harry does have a great capacity to love, that is for sure, and needs/wants love himself.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 29-08-2010 04:33 PM

My reason for classifying him as a romantic is that he has the ability to do and say incredibly thoughtful things for the women in his life, but only on very rare occasions, mind you. For instance:
- In his diary, it is mentioned that he was being held captive by the IRA on his wedding anniversary, so he surprised his wife with a "374 day anniversary."
- I also find the things he says to Ruth on their date rather romantic. He's quite open about the qualities he admires in her, and none of them are shallow stuff - it's all qualities that one can really admire. Also, he picks Paris as his favourite city, clearly because he thinks it's a romantic place to visit.
- And lastly, this is the man who is willing to go to jail to save Ruth - you don't get much more romantic than that...

So whilst I agree with what A Cousin said about Harry, I don't believe being a romantic necessarily means that you can't be grounded in reality. It's also about focussing on and doing something to make your significant other feel special. I do think Harry has that quality.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 29-08-2010 07:59 PM

(29-08-2010 01:54 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Hmm, so you are saying that being a lover is different to being a romantic A Cousin? Harry does have a great capacity to love, that is for sure, and needs/wants love himself.

Yup, that is what I am saying. One can love deeply and demonstratively without being romantic.

(29-08-2010 04:33 PM)Silktie Wrote:  My reason for classifying him as a romantic is that he has the ability to do and say incredibly thoughtful things for the women in his life, but only on very rare occasions, mind you.

So whilst I agree with what A Cousin said about Harry, I don't believe being a romantic necessarily means that you can't be grounded in reality. It's also about focussing on and doing something to make your significant other feel special. I do think Harry has that quality.

I am just presenting what is really an argument in semantics, and less on Harry's character, but by strict definition of the word romantic, it can have the element of idealization, impracticailty and/or having no basis in fact. I thnk all that you mention, is done by Harry in a completely unidealized, practical and real way. He is simply caring for the people he loves in a very straightforward and honest way.

Here is the Merriam-Webster definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/romantic

So when asked if I think if Harry is a romantic, I say no. But he does loving things every so often.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 30-08-2010 05:49 AM

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and you're right if one goes with the strict definition. However, in modern day usage of the word when describing how someone is when they are in a relationship, I think, is a broader concept. Or maybe we've just lowered our standards because so few men do really thoughtful things for their partners nowadays. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 14-09-2010 05:01 PM

In light of all the information now available about season 9, is anyone else worried we may finally see Harry have that breakdown we've been talking about a few pages back?

I do like the indications that we may be seeing a fair bit of our man this coming series.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - SPOOK91 - 14-09-2010 05:14 PM

I think that a breakdown could indeed be imminent. Poor Harry
Series 9 Spoiler: show
Ros' death could easily be the thing which tips him over the edge.
I hope that if the writers do go down that route with Harry then it won't be how they did with Adam. Harry is very different to Adam.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Jhokur - 15-09-2010 01:14 AM

I think if they do go the breakdown route, I could see him falling apart then getting so angry he goes after everyone that has taken things from him and Section D - needing his friends to intervene.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - yorkshiretyke - 15-09-2010 06:19 AM

Harry angry, sounds good to me!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 15-09-2010 08:02 AM

I consider him to be sentimental, in a very Sterne sort of way.