Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - yorkshiretyke - 27-09-2010 07:04 PM

Nah...that was just PF leading us now the garden path!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 27-09-2010 07:12 PM

(24-09-2010 01:14 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I know this a bit more speculative, but I kind of hope that he has had his existential crisis and gets back to the business of the business now. I'd get tired of watching the man, the myth, the legend go down the drain. They did that already with Adam.

I would think it unrealistic if Harry's "breakdown" only lasted one episode. As others have said, I don't want him crying and smacking his head on his chair every week, but he is a changed man. The breakdown was coming as far back as the start of season 8, so I don't think it will just come and go in one episode. I think we will see perhaps subtle differences to his character, especially with how he treats Ruth and the Home Secretary. It will also be interesting to see, if he allows himself to get close to both newbies.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 28-09-2010 04:20 AM

Yeah, you're right. After all, it is part of the theme for this season: handling the decisions they make. As I mentioned initially, I just don't want it to go OTT like Adams did.

And a when in doubt spoiler tag:
Series 9 Spoiler: show
I thought they handled it subtley in 9.2 with him keeping score of the dead in the lift and the line about there is no place for betrayal on the grid.

Harry in the field...always a treat! Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 28-09-2010 06:05 AM

I, for one, am a happy camper that Harry is still not quite himself. For me it would have been unrealistic if he had just shrugged off everything that was bothering him last episode. It is portrayed well thus far, with him being just a little more subdued than normal. I really like the scene at the golf club where he so subtly told that oil baron he would not be allowed to overthrow African governments without ever using any direct language. That's the Harry we know and love.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 28-09-2010 09:33 AM

I don't think he was himself this episode either. He sounded a little panicked when he heard that Beth was in the lift after the shooting. Also when he was listening to the bugged recording about the VX (?) gas. He also seems up for a fight now with the new HS. The two people that he liked the most in his world and perhaps related to more, the HS and Ruth, he now has to keep at arms length. One wonders how he will cope?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Kazters - 28-09-2010 11:13 AM

i think he is worried about loosing more of his team, i really think Ros's death has had a huge impact on him and i think more than even he realises.

He seems to be very much no second chances at the moment as well. which again is understandable. i dont think any of them have had any time to process the whole nightingale incident

if he was to have a breakdown it wouldnt feel real to me for his breakdown to be like adams, i think harrys would be more subtle

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 28-09-2010 01:46 PM

(28-09-2010 06:05 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I, for one, am a happy camper that Harry is still not quite himself. For me it would have been unrealistic if he had just shrugged off everything that was bothering him last episode. It is portrayed well thus far, with him being just a little more subdued than normal. I really like the scene at the golf club where he so subtly told that oil baron he would not be allowed to overthrow African governments without ever using any direct language. That's the Harry we know and love.

He might not be his usual politician stomping, death-stare throwing self, but, as Silktie says, he's still pretty damn effective. I, too, loved his scene at the golfclub -- a very understated, very muted, very deadly Harry. And his call alerting the HS that he was going after the oil guy was not the usual bombast, but a straightforward "I'm going to do this." This is like the minimalist SHP -- everything is smaller, quieter, more internal but he still gets the job done.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 29-09-2010 08:09 AM

I think that Harry has changed ever so subtly. He was very quick to step into the space at the end of the mission.

That's not to say he never was, but it seems we might be getting more Harry in the field after all.

Cold, lethal Harry is brilliant. More of it, I say.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 29-09-2010 01:16 PM

(29-09-2010 08:09 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Cold, lethal Harry is brilliant. More of it, I say.

Absolutely with you here. I love watching brutal Harry. Its is more real to me. I also think it is brilliant when there is an undercurrent to it. Few do the double meaning thing better than PF. Not that he is saying one thing and meaning another, rather that there are two meanings going on at the same time.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 29-09-2010 04:24 PM

I've been wondering if we might see Harry become more ruthless this season, sort of as an over-compensation for the fact that he's struggling to cope with the decisions he has to make. He knows that too much compassion can lead to mistakes from someone in his position, so he might suppress his own even more than usual.