Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 05-10-2010 07:02 PM

Poor old Harry is running himself into a rut -- he's lashing out in all directions (at Ruth, at the HS, at his new "allies") and tying himself in knots. Time to get a grip SHP -- no matter what else happens, your job is to defend the realm from all terrorist threats (real and perceived).

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Naivety - 05-10-2010 11:08 PM

I loved the many sides to Harry we saw in this episode. We had the wonderful, honourable man with respect for the under dog when he stopped Tariq alerting Lucas that Asiz was there. Then there was Harry getting an earful from the HS in front of Ruth. We had petty Harry reacting like a child towards Ruth. Harry admitting he was wrong and still needing to confide in Ruth (that was a fantastic scene in the corridor). Then at the end we had Harry getting one over Towers, who I am convinced wasn't told about the real whereabouts of that chemical agent.

Pouts, half smiles, sharp comments and compassion - awesome!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 07-10-2010 01:32 PM

After a rewatch last night I am kind of thinking that Harry is coming to terms with his existential crisis. That last line of his to Ruth, in addition to telling her to give him a chance to be an actual human being with doubts, self-pity, breaches in judgement, etc, he is also saying that in their work they need to give the human race a chance to be the best that they can be, e.g. Dr Kirby's decision to hold some of the nerve agent back b/c it holds potential to cure disease. In other words, not everybody is an a**hole or a subject of suspicion. Some people, a lot of people, are honorable. Maybe he is beginning to trust himself again?

And did you guys catch the glance he gives her after she tells him that he could lose everything? I can't tell if his look is saying, Including you? (question mark) Or if it is saying, Including you. (period) Maybe both. PF is good at that.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - xxgaylexx - 07-10-2010 02:15 PM

Series Series9 Spoiler: show
ahhh id did think that when he was looking at her! he quite blatently still loves her, i just think she needs a bit of a push to be honest! she needs to get a bit of a scare like a real risk of losing him, then shel realise and say a big YES! Smile

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - yorkshiretyke - 07-10-2010 04:28 PM

(07-10-2010 02:15 PM)xxgaylexx Wrote:  
Series Series9 Spoiler: show
ahhh id did think that when he was looking at her! he quite blatently still loves her, i just think she needs a bit of a push to be honest! she needs to get a bit of a scare like a real risk of losing him, then shel realise and say a big YES! Smile

Let's hope so...

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - xxgaylexx - 07-10-2010 04:33 PM

well we can dream can't we Smile

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 07-10-2010 04:58 PM

Guys, I know it's difficult to discuss Harry without mentioning Ruth, but if your post is solely about the HR relationship, please post it in the HR thread, and let's focus more on Harry in this thread. Thanks.

(07-10-2010 01:32 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  After a rewatch last night I am kind of thinking that Harry is coming to terms with his existential crisis. That last line of his to Ruth, in addition to telling her to give him a chance to be an actual human being with doubts, self-pity, breaches in judgement, etc, he is also saying that in their work they need to give the human race a chance to be the best that they can be, e.g. Dr Kirby's decision to hold some of the nerve agent back b/c it holds potential to cure disease. In other words, not everybody is an a**hole or a subject of suspicion. Some people, a lot of people, are honorable. Maybe he is beginning to trust himself again?

And did you guys catch the glance he gives her after she tells him that he could lose everything? I can't tell if his look is saying, Including you? (question mark) Or if it is saying, Including you. (period) Maybe both. PF is good at that.

You may be onto something, AC. I've been thinking about what would get Harry out of his funk, and that may be one way. He just needed to realise that there is some good left in the world, and that he himself is still a good man.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - xxgaylexx - 07-10-2010 05:13 PM

thats a good point. i think hes been there so long its probably a good thing that he is still questioning himself....shows hes still with us Smile

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 14-10-2010 05:41 AM

So it seems we finally have Harry back to himself based on the evidence of episode 9.4. I'm intrigued, though, as to what exactly made him get over the existential crisis he's been having this series? Looking back at what happened in 9.3, my take is that events of that episode made him realise he is still a good man, and sometimes he can still make decisions based on the right thing to do, even if it is not always the best thing for the operation. I also think that conversation with Ruth when she tells him what he did was the decent thing to do, played some part.

Anyway, it's great to have fully-in-command Harry back.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 14-10-2010 01:23 PM

Yep, I second that, H was definitely on good form in ep4 -- back to sparring with the HS, pissing off the Chinese and the Americans (good for you mate!), and doing the one-step-forward-two-steps-back dance with Ruth (although she still doesn't seem to be receptive). Even with Ruth in trouble in the field, he kept his focus on the op and got her out safely.