Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - HellsBells - 14-10-2010 01:31 PM

I'm glad Harry is back on form in 9.4. I really didn't want him to start having doubts about what he does. Spooks needs Harry to be strong.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 14-10-2010 02:43 PM

(14-10-2010 01:23 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Yep, I second that, H was definitely on good form in ep4 -- back to sparring with the HS, pissing off the Chinese and the Americans (good for you mate!),

Annoy the Americans or save lives? ANNOY THE AMERICANS for Pete's sake! Big Grin

Silktie - I am probably making way too much out of the Kierkegaard quote on the Wylie blog for 9.6 but several of his major themes makes a lot of sense re: Harry coming to terms with his existential crisis. (Ruth too BTW)

"...the thing is to find a truth which is true for me, to find the idea for which I can live and die" ~ Kierkegaard

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 18-10-2010 10:03 PM

Not much Harry action in 9.5 compared to other episodes this series but he certainly did seem in a reflective mood. I was a little confused as to why he seemed so uneasy in the first briefing in the meeting room. Especially when Beth asked him whether he knew the Cohen family. I just wonder whether it was because the story was quite similar to his and Ruth's.

Some of the words coming out of Levi's mouth felt like words Harry had said to himself a million times. He even told Levi that Anna would forgive him one day. Did he really believe that?

I felt he was possibly reflecting on his decision to let George die. I also felt that there was some regret there, maybe, that he didn't go to Ruth, after she left.

Sorry, moving into the H/R thread here, but most of this week seemed to concentrate on Harry's attempts to rationalise in his head what happened in 8.1 and how he let the person he most loves down, when they really needed him. Levi had a second chance with his daughter at the end. Will Harry get a second chance?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 18-10-2010 10:13 PM

Perhaps Harry was also thinking about his own relationship with his daughter, Catherine?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 18-10-2010 10:26 PM

(18-10-2010 10:13 PM)Aria Wrote:  Perhaps Harry was also thinking about his own relationship with his daughter, Catherine?

Yes, quite possibly. Although you must wonder what Harry talks about with his friends. He doesn't seem to talk about his family or Ruth and he can't talk about his job! Do the Israelis have a cricket team?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - SPOOK91 - 18-10-2010 11:30 PM

I did think it was rather amusing when Levi embraced Harry and kissed his cheeks! How awkward did he look!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Obsession - 19-10-2010 11:05 AM

I loved that bit. Harry looked so totally awkward! I also think Harry's decision to go to the talks was him giving Lucas a chance to prove himself to Harry, rather than just Levi wanting Harry to be there.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 19-10-2010 03:42 PM

(18-10-2010 10:03 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Not much Harry action in 9.5 compared to other episodes this series but he certainly did seem in a reflective mood. I was a little confused as to why he seemed so uneasy in the first briefing in the meeting room. Especially when Beth asked him whether he knew the Cohen family. I just wonder whether it was because the story was quite similar to his and Ruth's.

Some of the words coming out of Levi's mouth felt like words Harry had said to himself a million times. He even told Levi that Anna would forgive him one day. Did he really believe that?

I felt he was possibly reflecting on his decision to let George die. I also felt that there was some regret there, maybe, that he didn't go to Ruth, after she left.

Sorry, moving into the H/R thread here, but most of this week seemed to concentrate on Harry's attempts to rationalise in his head what happened in 8.1 and how he let the person he most loves down, when they really needed him. Levi had a second chance with his daughter at the end. Will Harry get a second chance?

Not much face time, no, but what their was was loaded! To all the above I would add:

In the exchange with Levi re: Anna forgiving Levi one day, I think Harry really did meant that. I also think that when Levi mentions that he was not "there" for his daughter when she needed him, Harry has a moment of epiphany.

In the exchange with Lucas at the end, I don't think that it is a coincidence that Harry has been reading (or is at least aware of) Kierkegaards The Sickness Unto Death. Talk about loaded! If it is possible to nut-shell an Existentialist, I will just say that this is one of Kierkegaard's most accessible books. It is a later piece which means that it has more of a Christian bent, which surprises me a bit. As I am a very bad Christian indeed, I will only pose that Harry is dealing with his own humanity and how that relates to his higher purpose. This particular book deals with Kierkegaards thought that "humanity" is the tension between, as he states it, "the possible and the necessary," the self and the higher purpose. If one cannot align themselves with their higher purpose, they are in "despair" and lose one or the other or both.*Phew!* I'll shut up now.... Huh

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 19-10-2010 04:53 PM

(18-10-2010 10:03 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Some of the words coming out of Levi's mouth felt like words Harry had said to himself a million times. He even told Levi that Anna would forgive him one day. Did he really believe that?

I also thought of Lucas. I mean, Harry did leave Lucas in a Russian jail for 8 years, whether it was his choice or not, perhaps a part of him is seeing the similarities in that Anna didn't forgive her father for leaving her to be tortured the same way that Lucas never really forgave Harry for leaving him behind in Moscow. I mean, Harry is sort of the papa-figure for the team and to Lucas, maybe Harry telling Levi that Anna will forgive him is parallel to him and Lucas finally coming to "trust" each other and be close once again. He and Lucas had a second chance, so Levi and Anna will too.

(19-10-2010 11:05 AM)Obsession Wrote:  I loved that bit. Harry looked so totally awkward! I also think Harry's decision to go to the talks was him giving Lucas a chance to prove himself to Harry, rather than just Levi wanting Harry to be there.

Clearly hugging is not one of Harry's forte!Silba

I think so too! Harry is letting his little boy have the chance to prove himself to be a big boy now!Wink

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 19-10-2010 06:56 PM

I think H's relationship with Levi is the most like a real friend we've ever seen from Harry. Even though he was friendly with Blake, Blake was still his boss first. And thoug H and Malcolm were friendly, the same applies -- H was always Malcolm's boss first.