Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Naivety - 19-10-2010 10:00 PM

Harry seemed very down this episode. He was incredibly detached through the briefing at the beginning, and then incredibly sad and thoughtful at the end.

Series 9.6 trailer Spoiler: show
In the trailer, in all the scenes they show with Harry, he looks like he did in 9.1; really shaken and unsure

He needs something to cheer him up. I can think of a few volunteers around here!! Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 19-10-2010 11:41 PM

(19-10-2010 10:00 PM)Naivety Wrote:  He needs something to cheer him up. I can think of a few volunteers around here!! Tongue

I think he would be cheered up if only Lucas didn't always go and find trouble! Poor Harry could do without getting gray hairs when it comes to Lucas!

I'll cheer him up!Thhug

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 20-10-2010 02:20 AM

(19-10-2010 10:00 PM)Naivety Wrote:  Harry seemed very down this episode. He was incredibly detached through the briefing at the beginning, and then incredibly sad and thoughtful at the end.

I agree. It is almost as if he has regressed a bit. I think the inherent parallels (in every way - Catherine, Ruth & Lucas) with Levi's situation and outcomes kind of took him by surprise.

I think he is detached in the beginning on two levels. Personally because he can't help but be worried for his friend, but also because he can't help but be aware of how similar Levi's story is similar to his. Professionally, he is also none to sure that the peace talks will be successful at all. In fact, he is pretty open in his belief that they never are. He would be aware that Levi takes a much more optimistic view of the talks.

He is pensive and reflective in the end because he is trying to put it all together for himself. He is trying to reconcile himself with the loss he has experienced and incurred by the decisions he has made.

BTW, here is the full quote:

"The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed."

Levi is a perfect example of someone who lost himself in the work, as honorable as it is and as neccessary as the decisions he had to make were, Levi decides to "make his lifes work" caring for his daughter. Harry has to be thinking about that.

I think lwhite53's observation that Levi is the closest thing to an acual friend that we have ever seen Harry have is interesting. (Maybe Hugo Ross?) It resonates more for Harry because Levi is a friend. It would be easier to dismiss if he weren't.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 20-10-2010 03:06 AM

Losing oneself without realizing it's happening may, indeed, be the most devastating of existential nightmares and I do believe Harry is in the throes of suspecting (or even believing) that's what's happened to him. I think he's questioning who he is (is he his work, is he his beliefs, is he his core values) and/or who he really wants to be and he's having trouble figuring that out.

Hugo Ross was a friendly adversary, of sorts, but I don't think H had the same kind of investment in him as he does with Levi. As A Cousin says, Levi's situation resonates with Harry, touches him more deeply and more personally than Ross' did.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Obsession - 20-10-2010 06:29 AM

Its all a bit mid-life crisis 'round here...for Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 20-10-2010 06:36 AM

(20-10-2010 06:29 AM)Obsession Wrote:  Its all a bit mid-life crisis 'round here...for Harry.

Oh dear, we may have to start worrying about Harry's car choices....Silba

It seems our poor agents are all suffering from some forms of mid-life crisis.....perhaps group therapy?Confused

Although I am glad that Harry does notice that Dimitri has a "habitual cheerfulness" Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Obsession - 20-10-2010 06:39 AM

(20-10-2010 06:36 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(20-10-2010 06:29 AM)Obsession Wrote:  Its all a bit mid-life crisis 'round here...for Harry.

It seems our poor agents are all suffering from some forms of mid-life crisis.....perhaps group therapy?Confused

Although I am glad that Harry does notice that Dimitri has a "habitual cheerfulness" Big Grin

Group therapy?!!! Love it.

Yeah, I'm glad Harry noticed that about Dimitri too. Harry really is the 'papa' like figure...

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 20-10-2010 06:48 AM

(20-10-2010 06:39 AM)Obsession Wrote:  
(20-10-2010 06:36 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  

Group therapy?!!! Love it.

Yeah, I'm glad Harry noticed that about Dimitri too. Harry really is the 'papa' like figure...

Lock them all in a room and let them fight it out, clearly they all need somewhere to vent!Silba

Now if only Harry will start noticing Lucas! Surely the all-knowing Harry Pearce knows there is something going on with his little prodigy Lucas! If there is anyone else he feels more responsible for, it's Lucas!

I mean, he said it to Adam that he was responsible for Lucas's "mental and physical well-being" and then there's also what Ros said to Lucas that "Harry sweated blood to get you back, he would rather die than let anything happen to you"

Come on Harry, surely you notice that Lucas has gone all crazy inside!Undecided

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 20-10-2010 07:25 AM

I think Harry is so wrapped up in his own troubles he hasn't really noticed Lucas. I think that will come as one huge shock therefore. At the end of 9.5 I felt that Harry was questioning why he didn't go to Ruth when she left. Why didn't he give everything up for her like Levi did for his daughter in the end. He lost his Ruth because of that. He knows it and Ruth knows it.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 20-10-2010 07:33 AM

(20-10-2010 07:25 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I think Harry is so wrapped up in his own troubles he hasn't really noticed Lucas. I think that will come as one huge shock therefore. At the end of 9.5 I felt that Harry was questioning why he didn't go to Ruth when she left. Why didn't he give everything up for her like Levi did for his daughter in the end. He lost his Ruth because of that. He knows it and Ruth knows it.

Yeah poor Harry, like I said, group therapy is needed for this lot!Wink