Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 20-10-2010 02:13 PM

(20-10-2010 07:25 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I think Harry is so wrapped up in his own troubles he hasn't really noticed Lucas. I think that will come as one huge shock therefore. At the end of 9.5 I felt that Harry was questioning why he didn't go to Ruth when she left. Why didn't he give everything up for her like Levi did for his daughter in the end. He lost his Ruth because of that. He knows it and Ruth knows it.

It is a testament to the writing and direction that we can learn so much about Harry without him getting much screen time at all. He really twigged onto something in this episode. In the briefing scene, he is very sure that Levi made the right decision in the moment, and with Levi he is so sure that Anna will forgive Levi. And then there is the moment when Levi confesses that, despite all of that, he was not there for Anna when she most needed him. Two unreconcilable truths collided: he did make the right decision but he wasn't there for her. I love how the shot of Harry's reaction to that is an obstructed shot from behind his right ear. As if it snuck up on him from behind.

In the last scene with Lucas, I can't tell if he respects Levi for his decision to retire and care for Anna or if he envies it?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - pfgirl1980 - 20-10-2010 02:14 PM

Hi all
I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but I heard a rumour today from some of my other Spooks friends and they've heard that Harry is leaving in this series?? I hope this is just a rumour and a way to get people to watch to see if it's true or not because for me Harry make's the show,he adds that touch of gentleness to each story,that conflict that must obviously come with the job.
Really hope this is wrong but wondered if anyone else had heard something along the same line??

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 20-10-2010 02:48 PM

(20-10-2010 02:13 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  In the last scene with Lucas, I can't tell if he respects Levi for his decision to retire and care for Anna or if he envies it?

I actually thought the way Harry says these words to Lucas, makes it sounds like Levi's decision is a bit strange and a waste of a man who is good at his job. But, Harry's body language is saying that he envies that decision. I felt Harry was putting on a front for Lucas' benefit.

(20-10-2010 02:14 PM)pfgirl1980 Wrote:  Hi all
I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but I heard a rumour today from some of my other Spooks friends and they've heard that Harry is leaving in this series?? I hope this is just a rumour and a way to get people to watch to see if it's true or not because for me Harry make's the show,he adds that touch of gentleness to each story,that conflict that must obviously come with the job.
Really hope this is wrong but wondered if anyone else had heard something along the same line??

No, heard nothing. I can't see there being a season 10 without Peter being on board. No point. I think these are just rumours based on rumours of a possible showdown in the last episode. Peter has always said he will be there till the end.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Naivety - 20-10-2010 04:06 PM

**Sticking my fingers in my ears and singing LA LA LA!**

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 20-10-2010 04:31 PM

(20-10-2010 04:06 PM)Naivety Wrote:  

**Sticking my fingers in my ears and singing LA LA LA!**

Hahaha! Big Grin

Isn't there an interview with PF somewhere in which he teasingly (I think? I hope!) mentions that Harry would be the clear choice to go next because no one would be expecting it? However, I do think someone may be putting 2 and 2 together to get 5.

Spooks isn't Spooks without Harry. We have weathered a lot of cast changes and I have always learned to love again, but the loss of Harry would be a very bad publicity choice at best. The viewers might tune in but I am not at all sure they would stick around for long.

Do you hear me Kudos? Keep Peter Firths kids in college!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Fidget - 20-10-2010 05:07 PM

Harry goes I go, same for Ruth, they are the only reason I watch

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Naivety - 20-10-2010 06:25 PM

How many shows have there been where writers have written characters out and tried to keep a show going without them, only for it to plummet in the ratings and get pulled. Spooks will go the same way if they kill off either Harry or Ruth.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 20-10-2010 06:34 PM

(20-10-2010 06:25 PM)Naivety Wrote:  How many shows have there been where writers have written characters out and tried to keep a show going without them, only for it to plummet in the ratings and get pulled. Spooks will go the same way if they kill off either Harry or Ruth.

I think Spooks could get away with losing Ruth, but Harry has been the backbone of this show since its very first episode, Peter Firth is the only one from the original cast that still remains, he's the rock and foundation of this Spooks family. If he goes, everything else just tumbles down.

If they wanted to get rid of Harry, they should have done it early on in the show, but now it's too late. They allowed Harry to be so ingrained into the very fabric of the Spooks universe that if they cut him out, everything will crumble.

The only way I can ever see Harry dying is in the final scene of the final series. Maybe he will die with a massive montage flashback of all the people he has encountered throughout his life, like his family and his agents, the ones he lost and the ones who were able to get away.

That would be a nice touching final tribute as Harry's eyes close for the final time.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 20-10-2010 07:46 PM

(20-10-2010 06:34 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  The only way I can ever see Harry dying is in the final scene of the final series. Maybe he will die with a massive montage flashback of all the people he has encountered throughout his life, like his family and his agents, the ones he lost and the ones who were able to get away.

That would be a nice touching final tribute as Harry's eyes close for the final time.

Jesus, BravoNine! You're gonna make me cry! Big Grin I prefer to think of Sir Harry Pearce sinking slowly into the west on his trusty "mule". Metaphorically speaking, of course. Tongue

But I agree, Harry will be there through S10 and beyond if there is one (positive thinking), but I could actually see Ruth leaving again. I don't like it, but I can see it. It would have to to top her last write out. No mean feat, if you ask me. And what that will do to Harry, I shudder to think. Certainly lots of dramatic fodder available in that scenario, though.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 21-10-2010 07:36 AM

I wrote on the episode thread that I think Harry was ultimately disappointed with Levi leaving. Not just for the obvious reasons but also because he was leaving so much to be done.

Even though Harry faltered in episode 1, he is still the man who stays around to do what is needed.

I loved Harry having a contemporary in this episode. Not someone to bump up against, but rather someone a little older who has also been through hell. They obviously have some parallels in experiences: Harry was forced to choose national security over the woman he loved and her family. There is also a world weariness that they both share, whilst also working in jobs that require them to look forward and retain some semblance of hope. There was a genuine sense of comradeship between the two, not least because Levi knew Harry's real name.

This connection was my favourite aspect of the episode.

As to Harry not being around in season 10 - I would be very surprised if Peter jumped ship at this point. For all sorts of reasons. And I sincerely doubt that he would be pushed either.