Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 09-11-2010 11:52 AM

So in the end, Harry probably sacrificed his career and his reputation to save Ruth, but didn't endanger any lives because Albany didn't work. I'm a little disappointed with that pat explanation. It would have been much more interesting had Harry had to make the choice with a working Albany.

I thought this episode highlighted Harry's isolation quite well. Even when he's trying to connect with his daughter, he only gets voicemail to talk to. And Ruth didn't exactly thank him for the sacrifice he made for her. Granted, at that stage she didn't know that Albany doesn't work. That image that the episode ended on, with Harry standing alone in the dark, looking over the lights of London, was very symbolic for me. It showed a man who sacrificed everything to keep the people he is watching over safe, until all he had left was his job and his reputation. He decided that his love for a woman was big enough to sacrifice even that in an attempt to save her life, and who now really has nothing left, and is all alone, facing an uncertain future. Sniff.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 09-11-2010 02:53 PM

(09-11-2010 11:52 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I thought this episode highlighted Harry's isolation quite well. Even when he's trying to connect with his daughter, he only gets voicemail to talk to. And Ruth didn't exactly thank him for the sacrifice he made for her. Granted, at that stage she didn't know that Albany doesn't work. That image that the episode ended on, with Harry standing alone in the dark, looking over the lights of London, was very symbolic for me. It showed a man who sacrificed everything to keep the people he is watching over safe, until all he had left was his job and his reputation. He decided that his love for a woman was big enough to sacrifice even that in an attempt to save her life, and who now really has nothing left, and is all alone, facing an uncertain future. Sniff.

Oh dear Silktie *blows nose* that's quite a sad thought.

Do you think Harry thought it was all worth it though, in the end, standing there alone? I think he probably thought it was.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 09-11-2010 04:57 PM

I do too. I think to Harry, to have sacrificed Ruth would probably have been the final step that truly killed his soul. In the end he chose to be human for once, and chose his own humanity over the greater good. In the long run, he wouldn't have been able to live with it if he'd sacrificed Ruth, and he would have been no good in his position anyway, methinks. Harry needs his soul to be alive to be able to make the best possible decisions. On some level he knows that.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Puppetmaster - 09-11-2010 05:03 PM

You're right and - thinking of Episode 1 it was the only conclusion - it wouldn't have been feasible for him to have sacrificed Ruth,after all the emotional wrestling he's been through this series.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Beatriz - 09-11-2010 05:59 PM

Silktie, it would have been very interesting to know what Harry would have done if Albany did work. When he was giving Lucas the file in order to save Ruth, it didn't ring true to me (and that's why Ruth didn't fall in his arms), afterwards I understood it all and I hope so did Ruth...
I think he did the right thing, he loves Ruth more than he loves his job, no people lives at risk this time.

I loved that he felt the need to talk to his daughter when he didn't know whether he would survive or not.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 09-11-2010 06:01 PM

Oh Harry Harry Harry......see what you did by not giving Lucas that cookie? *shakes head*

I told you to give it to him but you never listen to me do you! Dodgy

This is all your fault.... Silba

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - watchstrap - 09-11-2010 10:35 PM

Ahh, the lovely blue shirt, how nice was that? Curls, fluffy or otherwise! Love the fact that Harry is someone's Dad, I was crying by the time he made the phonecall to his daughter. Silly old Ruth, when will she ever realise that Harry = Happiness?

I am going to fire up the Rayburn and make some celebratory Snickerdoodles tomorrow because Harry is alive (and Ruth Smile).

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - HellsBells - 10-11-2010 02:50 PM

Even Lucas, in his deranged state didn't really think Harry would hand over Albany, so maybe Harry is turning human. But that isn't going to bode well for series 10. To do his job I think he can only love his country, there is no room for anything else.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 10-11-2010 03:22 PM

Oh Harry Harry Harry, I knew those cookies were your downfall.....*sighs*

Now on the other hand, when you find out that Harry Pearce is following you on Twitter...well, it's kinda oddly creepy....hmmmmmm

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - A Cousin - 10-11-2010 04:14 PM

(10-11-2010 02:50 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  Even Lucas, in his deranged state didn't really think Harry would hand over Albany, so maybe Harry is turning human. But that isn't going to bode well for series 10. To do his job I think he can only love his country, there is no room for anything else.

I caught that too. Lucas almost seemed shocked that Harry folded so easily. Maybe Harry did it for Ruth. Maybe he did it gain some sympathy form Lucas - to show him that they are both in the same boat, e.g. protecting the one they love. I hate to cast doubt on Harry's intentions re: Ruth, I do think they existed. But running parallel to that is the fact that Harry knows about Maya and he and Lucas are playing a game of cat and mouse contained in a spider web of lies. Harry is perfectly balancing the personal with the operational. Problem is, Lucas calls his bluff.

Question: When Harry tells the team what Albany is, why not tell them that Albany is a fake? Did he withhold that detail because he needed it as leverage so spur them into action against a man they had heretofore trusted unconditionally? Did he withhold that info because it is still a state secret and, functional or not, Britain needs the Chinese to believe that it could work? (As in the paroxycibin of an earlier episode) Thoughts?