Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Obsession - 11-11-2010 12:06 PM

I like your dream.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - molecatcher - 11-11-2010 12:08 PM

(11-11-2010 10:44 AM)Puppetmaster Wrote:  I think Kudos is clever it knows the 'Ruth Harry' situation is a winner - they don't want to bring it to a conclusion too soon. So they just keep up this 'will she won't she' - but there has to be some satisfactory conclusion or we shall all get tired of the waiting game

I'm sure you're right and I'm one of those who has got tired of waiting having come to the conclusion the answer to will they/won't they is they won't. If the postscript is anything to go by Harry will be needing to fight for his reputation in the next series if he feels inclined but his mental state in S9 would indicate he may well decide to put two fingers up to the powers that be and walk. If that did happen I'd guess he'd be on his own. Ruth's got too many issues of her own. Having written that I guess the complete change from one series to the next in Harry's emotional state even before he knew Lucas was in big trouble could see him reverting back to his old fighting self and Ruth might go back to stroking his hand occasionally. Writers' prerogative!!

(11-11-2010 11:49 AM)harrbd Wrote:  End of dream !

LOLWink That did make me laugh!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - loladom - 11-11-2010 04:48 PM

You could definately see Harry unravelling throughout the series, culmniating in the last episode. Does he want out? I say this as he had several moments of single minded determination to self destruct in the finale.
First he decides to save Ruth, knowing full well she would come to hate his decision. Upon reflection, I see his decision to save Ruth was for her, for her life, done without any hope of getting a return of her love. It was his goodbye to her. Making that decision he knew she would not like the price he paid and that he would not be able to tell her it was a fake, as that is still a big secret. Meaning she would be lost to him. Secondly, he also knew it would likely end his career and he didn't seem to care. Third, even though he sent the team after Lucas and tried to retrieve Albany, why if he hoped to get away with it, did he phone the HS to tell him he'd handed Albany over? He made that call before he found Ruth and before the team lost Lucas & Albany. (Just checked the timing)
Finally, he went to meet Lucas with little thought or hesitation, not stoping to clear his name at all, knowing there was a strong chance of being killed.

As he said in Ep1, he's tired of standing on the wall. The problem is - only he is capable of doing that job and we the viewers need him to as much as the country!! Hopefully S10 will see an enquiry revealling some of the immense good he has also done in his career, convincing both the circling buzzards, Ruth and Harry himself of his magnificant worth Smile

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - BravoNine - 11-11-2010 04:53 PM

I think in the end, Harry was also heart-broken that he couldn't save Lucas. He did shed tears and cover his eyes as he looked down over the roof, I think no matter how angry and betrayed he felt by Lucas's actions, there will always be a part of him that is stunned and shattered over the loss of his prodigy, his boy that he had such hopes and dreams for which have now all fallen apart in front of his eyes.

*sighs and shakes head* I warned Harry to give Lucas those cookies, he never listened...and this is the result....tisk tisk Harry Pearce....I told you to listen to me....Dodgy

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 11-11-2010 05:35 PM

(11-11-2010 04:48 PM)loladom Wrote:  Third, even though he sent the team after Lucas and tried to retrieve Albany, why if he hoped to get away with it, did he phone the HS to tell him he'd handed Albany over? He made that call before he found Ruth and before the team lost Lucas & Albany. (Just checked the timing)

I didn't realise that. Yes you are right. I thought that Harry's plan was to save Ruth and save fake Albany = save job, Ruth doesn't resent him. Why would he declare all to the HS before he had played his full hand? Perhaps he was duty bound to, in case things went wrong. Perhaps he assumed that it would come out anyway, with Beth, Dimitri and CO19 chasing down Lucas and it was better to come clean.

Perhaps, even though Harry told the HS, who he seems to trust somewhat, he was still hoping to save fake Albany and that he may get a rap over the knuckles but wouldn't be subject to an investigation. Or maybe, Harry just had enough at that point, and really didn't care what happened to his career. Ruth may well have been dead at that point. He wasn't to know otherwise. He may have already been thinking that he had failed Ruth in a way, so was falling on his sword.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 12-11-2010 05:41 AM

You raise some good ideas, TL. What we must also remember, is that all the mayhem in 9.8 took place over a few hours at most - remember Lucas told Harry that Ruth would die in three hours' time to allow him to get away with Maya. So I'm not sure Harry was thinking very clearly or long-term about his career prospects in the midst of all that. I'm going to attribute his confession to the HS as Harry being his moral self, and taking responsibility for his choices no matter what the cost.

It's also another interesting contrast between Harry and Lucas - Lucas never took responsibility for his actions, instead heaping deceit upon deceit to cover things up. That cost him in the end, as he left himself with no way out. Can we perhaps take heart from the fact that Harry chose a different path, and that the outcome will therefore be different in that his career can be saved somehow?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Puppetmaster - 12-11-2010 09:32 AM

Absolutely agree Silkties - Let us hope the writers of Series 10 read what you've written!!!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - harrbd - 12-11-2010 09:44 AM

Very good points and when you look back at the episodes this series Harry makes various comments that seem to indicate the end for him. Starting with the first of course when he tells Ruth that he can't go on and wants to feel clean. Ruth tells him that he has to because somebody needs to make the decisions etc. Since then, as well as Ruth, he has lost Albany and Lucas (Alec said you can't save both and he saved neither in the end) so perhaps he has shown Ruth and himself that he is no longer the person to make the unemotional decisions. I think he did tell the HS because it was a way out for him and perhaps Ruth realised in the end that he really wanted out. When he was leaving to meet Lucas there may have been a part of her that knew that death would be a way out for him.

I really hope that Harry isn't going but as you say the two scenes on the roof (1st and last eps.) must have some sort of meaning. We can't have Spooks without Harry ! Perhaps he can become a special advisor or something.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 12-11-2010 10:33 AM

(12-11-2010 09:44 AM)harrbd Wrote:  When he was leaving to meet Lucas there may have been a part of her that knew that death would be a way out for him.

Maybe. I do think that if Harry had more to live for, he may not have been too quick to leave, although this is Harry we are talking about so who knows. He was leaving to meet Lucas knowing that there wasn't much to look forward to in life.

I think how Harry's career goes will depend very much on how much fight Harry has left in him. Would MI5 want a full investigation? All Harry's dirty laundry out there? I would have thought it more likely that they force him to resign quietly? You would also have thought that if they DO let Harry stay on, that they would force him to give up Ruth. They could not fail to realise that this was done for Ruth.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Kazters - 12-11-2010 10:47 AM

i have been watching s1 this week! and he seems a little grumpyer then which i love but also as sharp as a tack.

harry is like Dumbledore in harry potter he knows almost everything that goes on in the Grid and as such he pops up at just the right moments to hear things