Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Aria - 12-02-2010 06:59 PM

I can understand that, as I would rather bad things happened to me than people I knew or loved.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 14-02-2010 03:26 PM

So, what do you make of Harry's actions in 2.5? I thought he enjoyed putting his officers through the wringer like that a little bit too much, and underestimated the psychological impact it would have, specifically on Tom. The only time he seemed to realise the effect it might have was when Ruth broke down during the VX meeting.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 14-02-2010 03:53 PM

Like your new Avatar Silktie.

I dont think Harry did fully realise the impact the exercise had on everyone, even at the end. I dont think he could have done though because several of them were having problems in their private lives which made dealing with the exercise even more difficult for them. I think Harry saw this exercise as very balck and white. Once the lights went back on, that's it, it's all over everyone, lets go for a booze up, was Harry's reaction. It was like he was expecting everyone to now put it away in a little box and then move on and enjoy what's left of the weekend. I think his empathy skills needed a little work at the end!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 14-02-2010 05:12 PM

I agree with that. Harry was focused on trying to make the exercise as believable as possible (and he wasn't alone on trying to do that, I think) that he forgot that you can go two or three steps too far very easily.

Not so much 2.5, but I find the Harry of the latter half of season 2 very unsympathetic. It may well be one of the reasons that I find season 2 the one that I am least likely to rewatch.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 14-02-2010 05:36 PM

Maybe Harry was trying to compensate for his Section Chief that was becoming emotionally unstable during this time, taking everything personally and jumping from one woman to another. I don't have a problem with Harry in season 2 overall, but Tom's antics began to get on my nerves, so I can imagine Harry worrying about it too.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 14-02-2010 10:27 PM

I'm thinking H went a bit too far. It's one thing to try to set up the exercise so that it looks and feels real. It's a whole other story to devastate your senior officer, basically leave him alone with the mess of the country going to hell, by pretending to be dying in the next room. And then to expect everyone to just shrug it off when it's all over -- way too automaton, Harry!!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 15-02-2010 07:00 AM

Since Harry is always so tight-fisted with the budget in these first few seasons, I'm suddenly wondering whether the 'liquid lunch at the George' came out of the budget or whether Harry let the poor sods pay for their own drinks to boot. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 15-02-2010 01:42 PM

Honestly, Harry doesn't strike me as being cheap.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 15-02-2010 04:01 PM

Weelll... he did want Zoe to sleep on Tom's floor rather than pay for a hotel room for her out of the budget in 2.3.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 15-02-2010 08:43 PM

Tom did well in the exercise which can only make Harry look good to his superiors, so I'm guessing H paid for the drinks.