Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 (/thread-684.html)

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 28-02-2010 06:01 PM

Episode 2.7 is not Harry's proudest moment, is it? I do give him points for being on the verge of going to the DG and confessing what happened, and I think he would not have used that kid if it was only about saving his own neck. But even in his dark hour his first thought is about the operation, and unfortunately for JJ he walks right into the middle of it with his special set of skills.

To me it highlights how Harry has changed over the seasons. In this episode he does not hesitate to send JJ on a one-way mission, but in season 8 we actually see him doubt his decision on sending that football playing kid undercover, and trying to justify his decision to Ruth. He has definitely softened over the years.

Back to his 2.7 look: I'm not a fan of the pullover, but I do like that shirt he was wearing underneath it. Pity we didn't see him in only the shirt for more of the episode...

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 28-02-2010 06:23 PM

I agree Silktie - for me, this is the one episode where I am completely unsympathetic where Harry is concerned. In the entire show thus far, it is the only time I can't get close to Harry's way of thinking.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - HellsBells - 28-02-2010 06:48 PM

Yes I also agree, the episode comes across as if Harry is trying to save his career, which is out of character for him.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - JHyde - 28-02-2010 06:56 PM

This is my main problem with season 2 - I find a lot of the characterization swings wildly between episodes. I don't like my characters all only cuddly/feely, but Harry really lost out this time around.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 28-02-2010 07:04 PM

Hmmm, difficult one. I felt a bit sorry for Harry but not sympathy, if that makes any sense. He didnt really flinch when making the decision to put JJ at risk. Then again he didnt have his "conscience" in his ear telling him so this time. I guess the writers were trying to show us how ruthless Harry can be, first with the Bill incident in Ireland, and now with JJ.

Re the pullover Silktie, I kind of liked it. Something different and I think I said before on this thread, it just shouted of Harry needing a woman to help dress him.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - lwhite53 - 28-02-2010 07:16 PM

Yeah, I agree too Silktie, this is not Harry at his best. There's no question that being ruthless is part of his job description (and I actually like that facet of him), but there's a big difference between executing a man simply for revenge or garroting someone in a tunnel and sending a child on what was believed to be a suicide mission. Those choices aren't even in the same universe. I also agree with JHyde, the characterizations in s2 fluctuate pretty wildly. I think the writers are still trying to define these people and sometimes they try things just to see if they work.

I did think, when H's sweater made an appearance, why the costume change? I was absolutely fine with the open-necked blue shirt!

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 01-03-2010 05:54 AM

I don't know that it's out of character for Harry to use JJ. As I've also said in the episode thread, he made that decision purely on an operational basis, as he did not know at that stage that JJ had the codes in his head and could therefore also save Harry's career. If Harry was portrayed as having decided to use JJ purely to save himself, I would have found that totally unforgiveable. But Harry has shown before that he can be absolutely ruthless in defence of the realm, and this is what he did here. He was given an order to steal Firestorm and JJ was the only option available, so he used him. So in that sense, I found it totally in character.

I do have some sympathy for Harry. At this point in his life his career is the only thing he has, so I can understand him trying to save it. And once again, he was willing to give it up to save the operation when he thought there was no other option than getting the codes from MI6 again.

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Silktie - 07-03-2010 05:04 PM

Harry in 2.8:

I really liked Harry this episode. He got to show a bit more emotion than he usually does, which was nice to see. Unlike the previous episode, this time round they allowed Harry to show that although he followed orders and made the hard choice to have Curtis shot, he did not make it easily or without feeling a sense of waste. That also came through for me during his argument with Tom - he knew Tom had some valid points but he could not allow him too much leeway as it would undermine Harry's future authority when hard decisions had to be made during operations.

And we got to see him in shirtsleeves and waistcoat a lot, which was a bonus (at least for those of us who like the waistcoats).

His reaction when Ruth confronted him about her secondment was interesting - I can't decide whether it was because he is uncomfortable with women in general making a stand against him, or whether it was because it was Ruth in particular?

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Tea Lady - 07-03-2010 05:30 PM

Re the Ruth incident in his office, I think he was a little uncomfortable with an emotional woman having a go at him, but I think there was more to it than just that. Ruth was raising her voice to him a little and he was doing his best not to be annoyed. Why? Why should Ruth get away with that? When Zoe came in and interrupted, Harry was very short with her and snapped a little. He then ignored Sam. He kept his temper though with Ruth and tugged at his shirt collar which was becoming tighter. I felt he was treating Ruth differently. He would never speak to Ruth like he had just spoke to Zoe. He would also not ignore Ruth if she handed him some information, like Sam did, no matter how mundane that information was.

I think Harry had made his mind up for Ruth to stay straight away and was trying to keep it from her for professional reasons. He was starting to have feelings for Ruth and really was afraid that they may show through, but ended up making a hash of it a bit, by waiting too long to tell her. He then was a little stumped at how to tell her without making himself look like he had just made a snap last minute decision or had been keeping it from her for X reason.

Harry did look nice in this episode. A little pic for us from that episode. I was going to change my avatar but decided against it.

[attachment=173]

RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce 2.0 - Nitrus - 07-03-2010 05:31 PM

Please try and keep the HR discussion to the HR thread, I know it's difficult but it helps to have a distinction.