Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
Series 9 Episode 8 discussion
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
RE: Series 9 Episode 8 discussion
(11-11-2010 12:12 PM)tyme4t Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 06:15 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Is it just me or does Vincent Regan look like Gerard Butler?

It's just you....LOL!

They were together in 300 (Leonidas and a Captain I think) and it is still difficult for me to see who is who with the beard and armour... Huh

[Phone Rings]
Harry: "If this is not life threatening, then I hope your passport is up-to-date!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
(11-11-2010 02:47 PM)George Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 06:15 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Is it just me or does Vincent Regan look like Gerard Butler?

It's just you....LOL!

They were together in 300 (Leonidas and a Captain I think) and it is still difficult for me to see who is who with the beard and armour... Huh

Oh yeah! They were on screen together!! LOL! Big Grin

I think Gerard's got bigger eyes than Vincent, but they do share that same intense attitude!

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
(11-11-2010 02:49 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 02:47 PM)George Wrote:  

It's just you....LOL!

Oh yeah! They were on screen together!! LOL! Big Grin

I think Gerard's got bigger eyes than Vincent, but they do share that same intense attitude!

While I agree Vincent character will not be Section Chief, I can see him in few episodes, helping (or against?) Harry in his career analysis/trial. I think because of coming from IA he and the writers make him appear more a desk officer, but in the scene outdoors he is not bad using the gun too, in fact
Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
I think he is the one who shot Maya

[Phone Rings]
Harry: "If this is not life threatening, then I hope your passport is up-to-date!"
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Question: Are the writers for Spooks different for every series? I've never noticed the screenplay credits, just enjoyed every series since the beginning. Just wondering since series 9 and in particular the dark, villain side of Lucas is such a departure to all the other MI-5 leaders.

I thought the scene with Lucas & Maya driving away while the MI-5 team was shooting at them really quite unbelievable. Why didn't they follow Lucas' car...???? Didn't the MI-5 team have their own transportation? So even Lucas knows they aren't following him since he's yelling to Maya that they made it...Maya is dead, MI-5 let him just drive off, and Lucas has his meeting with the Chinese......Did I miss something from that scene? Since I refuse to re-watch this episode I'm counting on anyone who can make some sense out of this.
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree with you about the Lucas and Maya scene. I thought it was the most unbelievable. Alec Dimitri and Beth should have been only seconds behind after running to the other car to follow. Surely there is no way that Lucas would have thought that they had made it. As it was he had time to stop the car, hold Maya and then get her out of the car before driving off. I don't know why the MI 5 team (and further support ?) were so far behind and (as Ruth was safe) wouldn't they have had a chopper monitoring where Lucas was going anyway.

It also seemed to me that Beth looked at Alec blaming him for Maya's death but as they were all shooting how did she know who had fired the fatel shot?
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
(11-11-2010 03:29 PM)tastiger Wrote:  Question: Are the writers for Spooks different for every series? I've never noticed the screenplay credits, just enjoyed every series since the beginning. Just wondering since series 9 and in particular the dark, villain side of Lucas is such a departure to all the other MI-5 leaders.

Most of series 9 were written by new writers for the show.

It seems more like Spooks transitions its writers, but for the most part, the same group of writers wrote episodes from Series 1 to Series 5, more writing staff changes occurred with Series 6, 7, and 8, and if I believe only one of the episodes was written by a writer who wrote in previous series, all other writers from Series 9 were new to writing the show.

(11-11-2010 03:29 PM)tastiger Wrote:  I thought the scene with Lucas & Maya driving away while the MI-5 team was shooting at them really quite unbelievable. Why didn't they follow Lucas' car...???? Didn't the MI-5 team have their own transportation? So even Lucas knows they aren't following him since he's yelling to Maya that they made it...Maya is dead, MI-5 let him just drive off, and Lucas has his meeting with the Chinese......Did I miss something from that scene? Since I refuse to re-watch this episode I'm counting on anyone who can make some sense out of this.

They were tracking Maya and trying to follow Lucas, but Tariq said that back-up was 11 minutes away with C0-19 and air support so that would have been too late as by then Lucas and Maya would have been gone since the Chinese had their escape route ready.

At least this is from what I can understand. This whole plot is still very unreal for me.

I only re-watched the episodes because the acting was so amazing.

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Spooks has a long history of killing off (or exiling) it's lead characters.
So far only Harry has survived.

Vincent Regan is a good actor (I sobbed uncontrollably at his episode on The Street) but another thing Spooks has a history of is eye candy.
He's just not cute enough.
I am shallow.
11-11-2010, 04:16 PM
(11-11-2010 03:48 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 03:29 PM)tastiger Wrote:  I thought the scene with Lucas & Maya driving away while the MI-5 team was shooting at them really quite unbelievable. Why didn't they follow Lucas' car...???? Didn't the MI-5 team have their own transportation? So even Lucas knows they aren't following him since he's yelling to Maya that they made it...Maya is dead, MI-5 let him just drive off, and Lucas has his meeting with the Chinese......Did I miss something from that scene? Since I refuse to re-watch this episode I'm counting on anyone who can make some sense out of this.

They were tracking Maya and trying to follow Lucas, but Tariq said that back-up was 11 minutes away with C0-19 and air support so that would have been too late as by then Lucas and Maya would have been gone since the Chinese had their escape route ready.

At least this is from what I can understand. This whole plot is still very unreal for me.

I only re-watched the episodes because the acting was so amazing.
This is my thinking on the shoot out. Lucas shoots out the tyres on the MI5 car. Notice he doesn't aim at his friends, unlike them who seem to target Lucas and Maya to stop them at any cost. The MI5 officers then transfer to Lucas' discarded car, and I'm assuming he took the keys and therefore it is going to take them some time to get it going, more than enough time for Lucas to get to the helicopter. If Maya had lived then I sure that Lucas would have thrown the tracking device out of the window along the way. As it was he didn't need to.
And as BravoNine states back-up was too far away.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
(11-11-2010 03:58 PM)GrendelKhan Wrote:  Vincent Regan is a good actor (I sobbed uncontrollably at his episode on The Street) but another thing Spooks has a history of is eye candy.
I am shallow.

I am just as shallow and I agree. He is not cute. He is ruggedly handsome. More to my taste than cute. Big Grin

But the reasons I think he is going to make it into S10 at least for a while is that they bothered to set up some back story for him and he and Beth clearly have history or at the very least an immediate connection. I have only seen him in the Shakespeare Re-told version of The Scottish Play but he has been kicking around enough to warrant more than he had to do in 9.8.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
(11-11-2010 04:20 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(11-11-2010 03:58 PM)GrendelKhan Wrote:  Vincent Regan is a good actor (I sobbed uncontrollably at his episode on The Street) but another thing Spooks has a history of is eye candy.
I am shallow.

I am just as shallow and I agree. He is not cute. He is ruggedly handsome. More to my taste than cute. Big Grin

You took the words right out of my mouth. What is wrong with kids these days!

I agree with those who complimented the writers on their courage. I will add that I think they concocted an amazing set up. But just like a basketball team that spends a lot of energy setting up a shot and then lobs the ball to the guy who's supposed to slam dunk it, ooooops! Pity.

I also agree with the one poster who said they did not want the return of Tom Quinn. I'll add that once any of then is gone, I don't really want them back. Move on. I love all the new characters they've added and with our main man gone (curses) they can now get some attention.

I can still see a way for them to right this season during season 10 but I'll leave it for another time. They never listen to us anyway.

Rooftop scene:
Beth and Dmitri sneak up and disarm Lucas, cuff him and lead him away.
Lucas screams, "No Harry please, I'd rather die!"

Harry: "We're sending you to rehab ................. in Texas."
Yahoo